1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mouthguard or mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Shenanigans, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Which ever you want to call it. I suggest you get one and protect your toofers. Shock Doctor is a popular and well recommended brand.

2. thump thump

thump thump Active Member

+1. Good idea!

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

for sure.. boil n' bite ones are not cheap. Teeth are expensive, and there is some documentaion that it helps reduce the chance of concussions. Again, like ear plugs, just look to any pro sport today. Many are wearing mouth guards.

4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

I have one that my dentist made.
    Custom fit. My insurance covered the mold.
    I just return the mold when I want a new guard made.
    Works perfect.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  5. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

+1 on the custom mouthpiece. They can cost a bit more, but are well worth it. I've taken my fair share of sticks and pucks to the mouth playing hockey. I've got the scars to prove it, but still have all my tooths :D

6. PIRANESI

PIRANESI Well-Known Member

A must

I have been wearing one for two years. I told my dentist and he mentioned that the material that they build from has better shock resistance. He didn't charge much. I believe it prevented a worse concussion once. I don't ride without it. I bought a boil and bite for a teammate, but suggested he get a real one also.

Good stuff.

7. MadManx

MadManx Retired for 2013-2014

I have mine custom by www.klenchguards.com (2010 Supporter)
    pretty much any logo you want on it.

[​IMG]

8. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I've been meaning to get one ever since I got busted in my mouth playing football.

9. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

I wear the Shock Doctor mouthpiece. It was a little wierd at first but can honetly say I feel naked with out it. I will never race without it again.

10. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

My dentist jumps horses and rides motorcycles - he told me about the potential risk of concussion if you fall and recommended a mouth guard.

Although he said he would gladly make me a custom one, he actually recommended the boil and bite type. They are cheap enough to try several brands/styles before finding the one that fits best.

I have been using the Gravity 2 STC Mouthguard for about 3 years now. Easy to use and you can talk with it which helps when I am Coaching/CR'ing.

I bought a supply of 6 of them on Amazon so I have spares and also replace it for a new one after every season.

11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have a very good friend who is the school of physical education and athletic performance department chair at a well known university. I asked him about it and he said there is no credible evidence that a mouth guard prevents concussion. He talked about research where they disconnected the tempro-mandibular (sp) joint on monkeys and it made no difference. He said the practical evidence is obvious when you look at a boxer. The rotation is what you need to prevent if you want to lessen concussions from the jaw. When a boxer gets hit straight in the jaw nothing happens but when they get hit across the jaw hard... down they go.

I wore the Shock Doctor for about a year and never really liked it. Now I feel comfortable going without it.

12. gixxerlvr

gixxerlvr Shoot, Move, Communicate

Maybe won't help with a concussion, but will prevent you from looking like a carved pumpkin. I will no doubt wear one, I have one just never really got in the habit like I do my ear plugs, but things will definietly change.

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I have raced for a long time now and have never heard of anyone losing teeth. I assume it has happened but it can't be very common. I'm going to still go without the mouth guard since I hate it so much. Might come back to bite me :crackup:.

14. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I tried for a while. I just hated it...so no mouth guard for me. Unless I find one that I like.

15. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

The danger isn't losing teeth but instead biting your tongue. One of my teammates bit nearly clean through it during a crash a couple years ago... that's when I went and got my mouthguard.

They also can provide significant protection against concussions; the cushioning it provides between your jaw and skull is important.

edit: well, clearly I did not read the above few posts.. I'd be curious to see the study about the concussion effects.

16. ryguy

ryguy Well-Known Member

try the full top and bottom mouthguard with the slots to breath through. I hated wearing the normal top guard, but once i went to that i loved it. I'm also going to try that shock doctor bottom guard. looks interesting.

I noticed when i was racing, i tended to clench my jaw a lot and almost grind my teeth. That, and the fact that i've been air vac'd twice for concussions (skate boarding and mx) so a mouthguard is a no brainer haha.

17. bodie1331

bodie1331 Well-Known Member

Carved pumpkin.:crackup:

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Yea, I've always thought mouthguards where more about reducing concussions vs. protecting your teeth.

Just need some sort of container (that's stays clean) to spit it out when i get off the bike. No way is my wife going to touch it!

BTW: Any pros in MotoGP or WSBK use them?

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Hopkins does for sure. i'm sure a lot more do. Shock Doc has a container to put the mouth piece in.

20. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

Got a Brain Pad here, has holes in the front you can breathe through. Don't even know it's there!