Trailer with barn doors?

Discussion in 'General' started by benfer, Dec 21, 2010.

1. benfer

benfer steadily going faster

Is it a deal breaker? I found a 2000 pace 6x12 for 1350 local... only downside is no ramp door.

2. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

Deal breaker.

You'll hate it every time you pull out a ramp.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

not a deal breaker.

you'll hate it every time you trip over the ramp. (if you get a ramp door, that is)
    :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

which would you rather do... put the pipe insulation on the pulley cables (so you dont behead anyone) or remove a small ramp?

5. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

I have seen a full width ramp installed with a hinge bolted down inside the barn doors . It flipped out & is long enough to load bikes . I don't know how cheap that trailer is , but if it is & the condition is great , the aftermarket bolted down ramp works .

6. benfer

I think barn doors might also be beneficial for a home made Murphy bed platform.

7. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

I only look at trailers with barn doors.
    I use my trailers for alot more than just bikes.
    Only barn door trailers can be used with a forklift for skid fulls of flooring, brick, cement, etc...
    You will also have an easier time selling it later, with barn doors, becasue it is just flat out more useful to a wider range of potential buyers. A biker can always get a folding ramp, but a contractor can't get around the ramp to forklift a load into a ramp-doored trailer.

8. benfer

just the type of insight I was hoping for :up:

9. Strick

Strick Good to be king

Barn doors are the bomb.

Ramp doors suck except for those 2 minutes of loading or unloading your bike, the rest of the time it is in the way and serves no purpose.

10. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

:stupid:

-steve

11. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

+1

Have used a barn door 6x12 for about 10 years now. Initially bought it for the bikes, but I have used it for so many other things over the years that I would never consider a ramp style trailer for what I do. Using the ramp doesn't even matter when you are used to it.

12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

ramp doors also announce to the world that something on wheels is inside.
    thieves...the reason there are no stickers on my barn door trailer.

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

:stupid:

Ramp sucks. Messy as hell in the rain, harder to close and still have some ventilation, etc, etc. The trailer is like a foot off the ground. Bringing a small foldable AL ramp is no biggie.

Ramp door was a deal-breaker for me when I was trailer searchin'.

14. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Hard to mount any kind of storage cabinets, etc. to a ramp door. This from someone with a ramp door who has second guessed that decision since buying one.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Barn Doors, FTW, I back my trailer up about 3 feet from the garage, side door against the fence. I can still get inside if I need something without moving it. With a ramp door I'd have to move it to get inside. I only have a one car garage so the trailer has bikes, tools, spares, etc...

16. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

My trailer has barn doors. I have a curved ramp in a rack inside the left door. Swing door our, grab ramp, put wherever needed, easy as pie. A curved ramp so that the short length doesn't create a hangup problem while loading low-hanging bikes.

17. benfer

Thanks guys, my mind is made up, now when can I find time to make the purchse before christmas is the next challenge.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Another vote for barn doors. You can set up your EZUP right behind the trailer without a ramp in the way.

19. tommyd273

tommyd273 Well-Known Member

+1 Thanks for the insight.

20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

And thats the winner right there!!!:up: And when it rains Your ramp dosent get wet.. Brecause its in or under the trailer!