1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neck protection

Discussion in 'Tech' started by compmoto, Sep 28, 2010.

1. compmoto

compmoto Team Geno

what are folks using for neck protection ? in dirtbiking , there are plenty of options, but since we go faster, and hit harder, I'm thinking we may do well to have something different for this. I was reading the ZDR race report, and after hearing him mention having a sore neck from a get-off, it reminded me how I personally have a concern with not over stressing my neck(I broke it in '06,and had a fusion to repair it). I have the collar system for woodsracing, but am not sure how effective it may,or may not be for use in our sport. I'm hoping to never need to put it to the test, but I reckon I should pay attention to this.Staying "on track",will likely help me avoid testing theory...knock on wood, but I haven't ran off in the last 2 events!! I wonder what the grass tastes like @ Road A ? Just kidding...
    What are you folks using for this safety issue ?

2. auz_gsxr

auz_gsxr Well-Known Member

Dont the new airbag suits solve this?

3. zman-scm

zman-scm Well-Known Member

I dont know about hitting harder on Street Vs Dirt
    coming down on your head from a big triple or thru the whoops is pretty scary stuff

I have seen people use Leatt brace with leathers , i think the Bionic from Alipnestar would fit better since its a little slimmer

4. bfolkerts

bfolkerts Well-Known Member

We have a racer up in the CRA that uses the Leatt Brace. We made a couple small changes to a custom set of leathers - and it fit really well.

We basically just put a slot in the speed hump, moved it down an inch or so and added some velcro to the front.

The rider claimed he didn't notice it at all while riding. He's had a couple crashes this year (none involving a head or neck) but it didn't make any adverse affects to a normal crash. Some braces put extra pressure on the collar bone during a simple crash.

I also heard Leatt is coming out with a new brace that doesn't require any mods to leathers. Seems like a step in the right direction at least!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. skell15

skell15 New Member

Thanks, Brett. That's me in the pics he posted and he's 100% right, it doesn't have any negative effects on my riding. I could talk for quite a while on this topic but I'll direct anyone interested in my opinions on it to this article that I wrote after my first time using the Leatt.

Since then, I've fitted quite a few people with a Leatt brace and in reality, modding a suit with a speed hump doesn't take that long. It's even easier if you order an Ayden Lee suit, as they will make it just like you see in the pictures above, ready to accept the brace.

One note on the Alpinestars brace. I've tried that one as well and for me it functioned just fine, but the only problem with it is that it isn't adjustable and the largest size they make (XL) barely fit me with my back and chest protector under my leathers. I'm 5'9" and about 170lbs, and anyone bigger than that will have difficulty getting the Alpinestars one to fit them.

If you have ANY questions, PM me or email me at kskellenger at gmail.com

Kris Skellenger

6. Lifeon2whls

Lifeon2whls Active Member

Kris...great article. I have been looking at neck braces for some time but the only thing I found for the street/track were the Dainese neck braces. No where near what Leatt or A* is putting out for off road riders but you're one of the first people I've found who actually spent the time to try it on a sportbike.

7. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

i use the spidi DPS neck vest. i had a get-off/high-side at VIR North (guess which turn?) a few weeks ago. when i finally stopped rolling and crawled off and got up to my feet and answered "I'm OK" about 10x to the EMT and corner-worker, i inspected my helmet and said that i think it barely touched the ground. the corner worker immediately said b/c of the airbag. my neck did not have the slightest bit of soreness. just in my legs, knees, and ankle from the hard landing on the pavement and from the torsioning of rolling.

not sure how much the neck airbag helped in this case, but i'm glad i had it on. it's non-intrusive as it packs tightly and sits ready-to-go as a small lump around my neck that is soft. so it has no resistance when i'm turning my head b/c it compresses.

my buddy was riding behind me and said it went off as soon as the bike righted itself and i was launched.

only drawback is that it requires a tether to the bike. no big deal. don't notice that when riding. another is it requires replacement CO2 cartridges that i think go for about $15 a pop. I'm not planning too many get-offs at the moment. so i'm ok with that.

and, after he confirmed i was ok, the cornerworker said i looked crazy with the airbag on. i was ok with that too. repacked the bag into the vest and getting a set of replacement CO2 cartridges for next year...

BTW, Kris, this is Darron.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  8. blade

blade Well-Known Member

leathers with brace

Is there a reason why the Brace is not under the leathers other than space issues?

9. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

It needs to be outside the leathers to be able to stop the movement of the helmet and, in turn, keep your neck from being over-flexed.

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

don't honestly see how this can work in a roadracing application. Would need to get some huge bar risers and be in a sitting UP position, no way would you be able to be in a tuck and look at anything but the gas cap.. Diff in road racing vs. dirt bikes, you look WAY through the corner turning your head, and lean over the tank requiring the head to be tilted way back. Not so in dirt bikes, your in an upright position with the head/back more in line.. Would love to see something that works, but a leatt type isn't gonna work.

11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Safermoto air vest

12. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

13. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Neck Vest

Here is a pic of the NW over the hump in leathers

[​IMG] Taken at Thunderhill in Octber

Link to more pics with the NW, MLV and JV ThunderHill AFM :up:

14. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response!

Matthew

15. bfolkerts

bfolkerts Well-Known Member

VERY cool!!

16. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

I will have the neck vests and other vest with me at the WERA West Fontana round this weekend if anyone is interested in seeing them up close :up: Looking forward to racing WERA for the first time

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  17. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

i have the spidi version. this SaferMoto version looks just as good and is less expensive.

18. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Safermoto

Take a look at the Spidi airbags, they are made by Hit-Air :) same folks who make the vest SaferMoto sells

19. LuckyBoi

LuckyBoi Active Member

CO2 cart

I see you sell the CO2 carts. I spent mine and need a replacements for my Spidi DPS. Do you sell?

20. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

As it turns out, Leatt has come up with a road racing specific neck brace. It's designed to be worn over the suit and will easily fit around the back hump. The front and rear impact table sit lower than their MX versions so you can get into a full tuck and look through the corners without it getting in the way.

We will have a full review of this item when it becomes available in April.
    [​IMG]