1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR stock damper oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Nicky v, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

I am WAAAAAAY to cheap to buy a nice adjustable steering damper. I've heard that some guys have just put a heavy weight oil in the damper and it works great. What is the weight oil that is in there/what do I replace it with? Thanks guys:beer:

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

3. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

I used 20 wt fork oil.

Are you going to disassemble the whole thing, or just use the drain bolt?

4. PCP

PCP King of the who?

^20wt. I did it on my bike and a friends bike. I inevitably ended up getting rid of it for a Scotts again. Just like the feel of the aftermarket one a lot more as well as the ability to adjust it. Even if the difference is all in my head, most of the game is mental anyway. :D

5. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

My plan was just to drain and fill. Thanks for the help!

6. dammyneckhurts

dammyneckhurts Well-Known Member

For the drain and fill...I was struggling to get all the air out when putting in the oil.

Solution was to completly imerse the entire damper in the oil, while submerged in oil I ran the damper through its stroke multiple times. Each stroke it would suck in some oil and spit out some air.

Seemed to work for me :beer:

7. Tractionless

Tractionless Well-Known Member

mixed 5w and 10w for 7.5w as 20w was WAY too heavy and the bike didn't want to turn. I had a no name damper which mounted in the stock position I picked up for $40 or so and worked great.

8. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

I must SucK, i can't tell a difference:confused: how hard is it to change the oil, and will i notice a diff. in counter steering???

9. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

I would try 10wt for a track bike. In my opinion 20wt is way too heavy. I've used one of those cheap, gsxr dampers with 15 and thought it was a bit much, but I guess a lot depends on your machine, the track, and your riding style.

To change the fluid in the oem style I clamp the body of the damper by the mounting hole in a vise. Then I fill a container with fluid so the hole in the damper is immersed and pump away. It may take several times.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Don't do this, it's a waste of oil and it makes a mess.

FWIW I used 20wt fork oil and it works like a charm on street and track.

Anyway, once you've opened it up and pumped out all of the old oil, just rig up something like this and keep pumping till all air is out, couldn't be simpler.

[​IMG]

11. sqrlnut

sqrlnut Well-Known Member

^^^Sweet thanks for the pic:up:

12. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

Hmmm. I guess I didn't waste or spill a drop, :) but thanks for the photo.

13. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I have 15w in mine. Works pretty well, and while an aftermarket damper would probably be better, I can always go to 20w if I needed.

14. Gootmacher

Gootmacher Member

has anyone did this to the 09 GSXR damper? i did it to my 06 race bike but not sure about the weight of oil to put into the electronic damper, im thinking 10w.

15. tropicoz

tropicoz Well-Known Member

Yup....curious to know if this swap even works with the oem elec. dampers?

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It should.....several people on GDC have done it.

The stock damper has 2 big issues

1) the oil is very lightweight

2) it's 1/2 full of air

17. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

As goofy as this may sound I used threading/cutting oil for mine. The oil's not as thick as what some have used but it's done a great job.