Generators

Discussion in 'General' started by tamer, Apr 13, 2010.

1. tamer

tamer Track Junkie

All Power America 2000watt Generator

Would you trust your tire warmers on this? Looks to be the best bang for the buck. 2000 watts should be plenty. All I need it for is tire warmers and maybe a small fan during the day and a light at night. Anyone have any experience with it?

2. Zepp

Zepp Well-Known Member

I was looking at these too. They're very similar to the specs of the Honda generators, and quiet too with the same decibel ratings as the Honda. They're a lot cheaper in price too.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but no way is this gonna be anywhere near as quiet as a Honda. Also, don't use anything but a resistance load on it (ie warmers). Don't hook up anything expensive with a motor (ie fridge) or electronic.
    Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

As mentioned, you get what you pay for ...

5. :stupid:

6. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

Bought a similar model at Big Lots a few years ago for $150. Let's be clear, it's not quiet like a Honda. It's not terribly loud either though, pretty standard lawn mower engine really.

Otherwise, this thing works great and I've never had any problems with it in two seasons of use. You could go through 5 of these for the price of one Honda. You can't run it at night, just too loud. But it's definitely good enough to run your warmers, lights, microwave, fan, etc.

7. If you buy a substandard generator...the people in the paddock will hate you.

They will act like they dont hate you...but they do.

They will say "oh no problem, it isnt a big deal"...but they hate you.

They will say "it isnt that loud, dont worry about it"...but they hate you.

8. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

I took the hit and saved up $800 to buy an EU2000.....

other people should too!

Please be nice to your fellow peeps that share the pits with you :up:

9. On behalf of everyone else in the paddock, i thank you. :up:

:D

10. froggert

froggert Well-Known Member

one of the nice things about the honda (besides noise level and reliability) is the resale value. it's more expensive up front, but you'll be able to sell it down the road for not much less than you paid.

11. tamer

tamer Track Junkie

I REALLY want the Honda or the Yamaha generators, but I honestly just can't fork over that much for one at the moment (broke college student syndrome sucks) and I think running 2-3 rounds without warmers until I saved up would be horrible.

I've been doing some research and alot of people have been welding up mufflers to them for less than $40 and it seems to lower the sound significantly. I was just curious if anyone else did that and how it worked out for them..

12. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I have the loud cheapo from harbor freight and honestly it's not stupid loud. If you put anything (plywood, car, etc) between it and where you are you aren't going to hear it other than the engine noise. If you have the opportunity, put it 100' away from you and anybody else and you really are not going to notice it.

However, I've been around peoples set ups with the eu2000 and those you can sleep right next to. I heard a yamaha 2400 or something larger and it was not nearly as quiet as the honda.

13. H8R

H8R Bansgivings in process

If you are broke...I'd rather let you plug into my generator for a couple of months then listen to what sounds like a buell with ball bearings making margarita's all frickin' day.

14. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

I don't like you for saying that...but I do. :D

People with loud generators should point them toward their own pits. At Cycle Jam one year there were three people around us with loud-ass generators, all pointed away from themselves and in our general direction. It sucked. And I don't hate them...but I do.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I hate them.

16. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

17. Yep :D

I have done that a few times.

Me - "hey man, you can just plug into my generator if you want, i dont mind".

Loudassgeneratorguy - "thanks for the offer, but im ok"

Me - "I really dont mind, im only using 1 set of warmers"

Loudassgeneratorguy" - "eh, ill just use mine"

Me - "Dude, seriously, i REALLY want you to just use mine. For real".

:crackup:

18. Zepp

Zepp Well-Known Member

It is rated at 53 to 59 decibels, exactly the same as the Honda generator

This is the one I was talking about

http://www.allpoweramerica.com/productdetails.php?id_prd=139

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  19. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

It doesn't. It may make them quieter, but they are still loud ass generators that belong on a construction site, not in the paddock.

No sh*t. Genset should have to be within 10 ft. of your own setup at tracks like Road Atlanta, and exhaust pointed toward the owner.

:crackup:

Guilty as charged.

20. ToxicRacing

ToxicRacing Well-Known Member