1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Vortex footpeg design, better crash resistance?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by regularguy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Do the newest Vortex rear sets still use the tiny ball bearing that gets destroyed in a crash? I had a 15 mph cold tire slide out on my out lap (ya I know...dumbass!) and I was not impressed with how the rear sets held up. The thread hole on the footpeg ovaled out and the peg tore off. The hole where the footpeg goes thru the shifter ovaled out and the outer bearing fell apart. The rear set plates held up fine and I managed to save the shifter. I've crashed Woodcrafts at r ace speed that held up much better than these... I need spares for the season and I'm not sure if I want to stick with these. ANy thoughts?

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

3. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

my only crash on the vortex was catastrophic. sheared the mounting plate off, but the peg held up great :D just had to find it since it was 20 or 30 feet from the bike.

but i hear there are generally alot more spares in the pits if you go woodcraft.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

One is The BicLighter of rearsets, the other is a Zippo WindProof...:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I found an older set of Yoshi rearsets for a 00-05 GSXR and they appear to be very beefy.

6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Nobody has the newer Vortex Rearsets?

7. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

You mean the 3rd gen? with the smaller peg? yes same bearing and it still breaks.

8. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have the Attack Performance rearsets on my R1 (Vortex doesn't make them for the 02-03 R1 anymore). They are supposed to break off some part of the peg if crashed. I will let you know how that works out next time I crash. Hopefully you won't be hearing from me for a while on this.

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Woodcraft. I'm really, really good at breaking shit... and I've never managed to break anything Woodcraft.

11. chocadile

chocadile Well-Known Member

I've crash tested my F4i many many times, and I've replaced a peg and one of the mounting brackets. WOODCRAFT FTMFW!

12. JP OTTO

JP OTTO Well-Known Member

What does that mean??? (sorry, I live in the suburbs)

13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

For The Mother Fucking Win

14. JP OTTO

JP OTTO Well-Known Member

That make more sense then:

Fuck Those Mother Fuck'n Woodcrafts

I figured it had some profanity in it. Thanks for clarifying. :up:

15. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'm stuck with Vortex right now because I've got several spares for them. If I run out anytime soon, I'll definitely be switching over to Woodcraft.

16. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yep, Woodcraft for the win! Held up very well. I did manage to bend a base plate last year but considering the crash they did fantastic. Replacement parts readily available and cheap enough to carry some spares. The funny part of the story was one my sponsors superbikestore.net was with me at that race. I messed my leg up some and didn't look at the bike for a couple of days since I could barely walk. E-mailed him about the parts I needed and replied he'd already ordered them, seems he took inventory of what I needed while I was setting in the pits enjoying my post crash Vicodin and ordered the parts I needed on Monday morning.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  17. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

I use Vortex rear-sets and clip-ons and they've worked great for me. I've had about 5 crashes on the current set, and really appreciate the modular design; if something ever does bend the Vortex peeps can get you the part asap.

18. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I think you're the only person with a positive response! I have no problem with their clip-ons, but their rearsets need to be re-engineered for more durability. For starters, I say get rid of the bearing and use a solid bushing...

19. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I've used nothing but YOSH rearsets on all my Suzukis since '94ish.

They are strong as hell, never broke anything on them. Just a mild bend that a bigass vise couldn't fix. (I actually broke the lst vise trying to flatten out the mounting plate.)

20. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I use vortex rearsets and I'm happy with them. They're a few years old so not the latest design probably, but I crashed my R6 5 or 6 times with them on and never replaced anything. They bend easily but it makes them easy to fix. Every time I crashed I'd just take them apart, put then on a hydraulic press or vice (no heat needed!), and flatten the bent parts back out. The foot pegs were ground down to about 3/4 their original length and the other parts were a little wavy from several fixes but they never stopped working as good as the day I bought them!