1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eddie Lawsin FZ750 Cable Clutch

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by kiwi60, Jan 6, 2010.

1. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

Firstly, gidday to you all, I'm a 'vintage racer' (in more ways than one) living in New Zealand.

For the past few years I've been racing an '88 Yamaha FZR750, and I've just squeezed an '89 EXUP 1000 motor (bored to 1040) into it and I'm looking for a bit of help.

[​IMG]

After a recent track day, the clutch slave cylinder seals gave up their fight for life, and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to fit a cable clutch.
    The design that really interests me is this one that was on Eddie Lawsons FZ750, but I'm having trouble identifying where the actuating mechanism has come from.

[​IMG]

Most manual clutch mechanisims mount on the inside of the case with the cable going through a hole & adjuster in the case, or are attached to a shaft which extends out the top of the case as per trail bikes, but this one pictured works in reverse and can be mounted with out a whole lot of trouble.

I'm not worried about the mounting of the mechanisim as I have a fully equipped machine shop at my disposal (and am a qualified engineer), but if any one can identify it, it would be a great help.

All the best

kiwi60

2. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

First you HAVE to apologize for spelling Eddie's last name wrong!! It's also my son's first name.

I can help. I have a fully kitted FZ750 and all the manuals. It is a factory race kit piece that sold for about $750.00. It uses a composite assortment of stock and one off parts from strange things like the XS650 and the XV750 (Virago).

Everyone I know who has attempted this went back to hydraulic as the machining would be outrageous.But if you have access to machining it might be worth it.

Hit me offline@ bjohnson@ bpl.coop without the space after @

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Really? It's my daughter's first name. :D

4. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

Opps - should have had thoses beers first - sorry guys :bow:

Virago, hmm that's one model I didn't have a look at.

I'll get an email over to you.

5. SBKBee

Yes Dave, I always told my wife I needed two more son's: Spencer and Cooley , so we could reenact the early 80's on minibikes!

6. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

Thanks heaps for the info SBKBee - awesome :up:

7. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

Sometimes you know your at home...

You guys make me feel so normal. Last night, I was trying to convince my wife that our next son's middle name should be Yamaha. She knows, me so she was only briefly - VERY briefly amused. :D

8. SBKBee

Now picture yourself in the back yard yelling: HAGA HAGA it's dinner

9. dustydes

dustydes New Member

clutch

Hi

I'm new to this site and the cable clutch.
    I have also been trying to find info on the above and have access to a mc shop so could form my own parts if i had pic's drawings etc but after hours of searching i have had no luck.
    Did you manage to get any more info ?

10. fossil59

fossil59 fossil59

I wanted to name our firstborn Jarno, but momma was'nt having any of that.

11. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

Gidday dustydes,

Sorry for the late reply - I didn't get an email telling me that you'd posted on this thread.

Yes I certainly did, one of my good friends ended up buying a whole shipment of factory parts (from SBKBee I think...) which included the cable clutch, which I 'borrowed' and had copied by a local NZ CNC shop, and the result is perfect.

Personally, I'm not sure why others would have gone back to the hydraulic clutch as the take up is far more predictable than the hydraulic, and with a good quality cable, it has yet to need adjustment. It is a heavier action, but as I only use the clutch for the start and down shifting, I don't notice it.

[​IMG]

Hmm, must get the cable shortened a bit...

Following a little off track excursion, I also repainted the bike and am well pleased with the result as it was done in my carport.

[​IMG]

A few of us are heading to Australia at the end of March 2011 along with our race bikes to take part in the Barry Sheene Festival of Speed being held at Eastern Creek - Sydney so I had to tart the ol' girl up a bit eh.;)

12. SBKBee

Sweet, let production begin!

13. robbo350

robbo350 Member

I'll second that!!:up:

14. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

I can get the CNC parts done no problem (three parts: main case, cover and clutch cable holder), but the rest of the bits like the Virago parts etc will need to be sourced by individuals.
    Quite a few of the items were factory kit parts and I srounged around my local bike dismantler and found alternatives that would do the job such as the actuating arm - which I remade later 1/2" longer for a little lighter hand pressure, a GSXR600 cable clutch lever and mount, but managed to use the std push rod and some other bits as well.
    I'll have a search through my archives tomorrow to see if the part numbers are on file - they're there some where...

If anyones interested, drop me a line at:

[email protected]

and I'll try and sort a cost and shipping out.
    I think I'll need at least 5 units to make it work and get the price down a bit, and I'll get in touch with the shop when the interest is there.

All the best.

Graham
    aka kiwi60

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  15. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

Ok, Robbo350 has confirmed - anyone else?

16. matthewlee

matthewlee Well-Known Member

I would like one maybe two.... but depends on the price.

17. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

As far as price goes, it cost me $500 NZ dollars to have the three pieces to be made (main case and backing cover plate plus the cable holder) - but this was for one unit only.
    There are now four units potentially spoken for, and I'll work on getting the cost as low as I can.
    The other Yamaha pieces, plus clutch cable and lever / mount also have to be sourced by the end user.

After having a look for the parts list, I have found that it is a casulty of my last laptop dying late last year, however I should have another copy emailed to me in the next day or so, and I'll post it on the site - from memory it wasn't that expensive for the factory parts, and I would imaging they will be available through motorcycle wreckers if you want to keep the cost down.

18. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

The parts needed from either the 1985 Virago XV1000 or XV700N are as follows:

2H7-16396-00-00 PUSH SCREW HOUSING
    93606-07082-00 DOWEL PIN
    2H7-16395-01-00 BALL RETAINER
    2H7-16341-00-00 PUSH SCREW
    2H7-16343-00-00 ADJUSTING SCREW
    93210-48364-00 O-RING
    4X7-16340-00-00 PUSH LEVER ASSEMBLY
    92990-08700-00 NUT

These numbers are from the Star Motorcycle OEM Parts Site and are the ones I used to confirm items when I placed my own order with the local Yamaha dealer.
    The only item I had no luck finding here in New Zealand was the Push Lever Assembly, so I sourced a used one from the wreckers.

gofastpinhead likes this.
  19. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

FWIW;

I have an 85 FZ750 that I dragrace on test & tune nights, and the stock hydraulic is just about the sweetest feeling clutch ever....

I love it. :up:

And oh yea, Kiwi - love your bike!!

20. kiwi60

kiwi60 Member

I think your hydraulic clutch must be in a lot better condition than the one on my bike was - it was knackered, so with similar costs for full replacement, I went the cable way.
    My SV still has a hydraulic clutch, with is fine for day to day riding, but lacks the feel I want compaired to the cable.

I'm not not saying I'm right and your wrong Repo, we just have different preferences :up:, and the cable clutch always gets a lot of positive comments at every race meeting - which is always good for my ego:)