1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no CBR600's on the grids?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by aprilia777usa@y, Sep 24, 2009.

1. aprilia777usa@y

aprilia777usa@y Well-Known Member

I've read as many 600cc supersport shootouts as I can find to try and get a base idea of how the R6, ZX, GSXR & the CBR compare in all aspects. Is there some curse or something weird that happens if you try to suit up a CBR600 for expert club racing or AMA Pro Racing? In the past few years you'd be hard pressed to find an article (or at least that I've seen) that does not put the Honda 1 or 2 (I know, in street trim).

1. I know the contingency isn't the best, but neither is Yamaha's for the mobs of R6's you find on the grids (I'm one of 'em).

2. Is the CBR that far down on power? Or is it the fact it does not have a slipper clutch?

3. Is it hard to find race parts for the CBR's? Exhaust, Power Commander, suspension necessities and so on? Or are the parts just more expensive?

4. Lots of articles claim it's the bike to own on the road, is there something in that fact that makes it a plague on the racetrack (unless you are Jake Zemke).

5. Is it the fact nobody (or very few) races them just because there is nobody else racing them?

I know the logical thing for me to do is suit up another R6, but I just wonder how capable a well prepared CBR would be in the hands of a decent rider.

Anyone out there suited one up and found they went backwards compared to riding their previously owned GSXR, R6 or ZX?

Don't know why, but I want to suit up a CBR but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. I'm done rambling, any advice?

2. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

No contingency money for WERA.

Otherwise its a great bike. The only other thing that I'd mention is that Honda generally over-engineers things related to fairings any mounting brackets which generally make them more difficult to track as opposed to Suz and Yam.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

they make a great track/race bike and they also look very good. i think the main reason for suzi and yam started as contingency, and then all the other racers bought them because of all the parts availability and the fact that they're so popular means that people have a lot of keys to setup readily available where with a CBR you'd be a little in the dark. i'm positive the CBR can be competitive in the right hands and with the right setup. there's no doubt about that.

it's only recently that suzi and yam's contingency started sucking balls, so we might see a different trend going forward provided that contingency sucks for everyone for a few years.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. strgt

strgt Well-Known Member

Love my CBR, best track bike ive ever had.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Anyone else?

6. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

Because I'm paying back medical bills and can't afford to pay entry fees! :mad:

7. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

:confused: i don't think so bro. the 06-07 r6 fairings were a nightmare compared to the CBR. I've converted a CBR from street to track and I did not find it difficult at all.

8. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

My buddy runs a CBR600. I ran it up at Mid O for a track day and liked it much more than my gsxr.

9. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

I have recently acquired a 2008 cbr600rr that I am currently race prepping. I have not rode it on the track yet. I do know one thing though.................... finding used parts for it is a BITCH!!! I cant find ANYONE selling SHIT for this bike!!! I would say that 90% of the parts that I bought for this bike were bought brand new. This was simply because I couldnt find them used. The GSXR600 and R6 have so many used parts available, that you could practically BUILD one right from the WERA classifieds on any given day. I am coming off of a 2006 R6 so I will let you know which one I like better once I get a chance to ride this beast:beer:

10. Garrison

Garrison Well-Known Member

I'm in love with my 06 600RR, but I don't know how competitive it could be with the newer bikes.

11. superbikestore

superbikestore Well-Known Member

I run a 600RR. Love it. As already mentioned I think it's contigency and parts related. I bought new parts for mine, doesn't bother me. There are a few at the races and some really fast guys on them. It's a solid bike, but a lot of guys come in and think that since all the other novices are running gsxr's and r6's, thats what they have to do too. The fast experts on the other hand are going to run what pays contingency, Kaw this year pays $2000 for a race for example, thats a no brainer.

It's funny how several of my good budies who have gsxr 750's and 600's always ask me what kind of work I've done to my bike because they couldn't pull me driving out of corners. It's a strong bike. I raced up in class all year, F1, ASB, etc.. and have had no issues holding my own.

The plus side to this bike is that it's the lightest, probably the best handling when setup right, and has more midrange than any other 600 out of the box. I've not heard anything negative from any fast guys who've ridden this bike setup correctly. Eric Wood rode one in the Daytona race this year, he told me he loved the bike.

12. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

Drew Harbuck is doing alright on an '05 CBR600rr in the expert class on the east coast.

13. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

14. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I have both..an 07 cbr and a r6...the cbr feels a lot smaller..and I am only 5'10...I cant imagine what taller riders think... feels like I almost can look down on the front fender.

15. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

My friend has one and he has a tough time finding race parts at a reasonable price, when found that is. Example, try to look up say traxxion cartridges for cbr and few show up.

17. vito2279

Def not trying to thread jack but I have a quick question for you guys real quick. I just purchased a YOYO slipper for my bike and the guy that I bought it from was telling me something about Honda saying that they put some type of "valve" in the bike to make the clutch "slipper like". Do any of you guys have any info on this?

18. NickyZ

NickyZ Well-Known Member

FYI I raced an 08600rr this year, and the suspension is very difficult to set up. We have fought with it all year, and it still isn't set up right.

19. b_rymer

b_rymer Well-Known Member

what suspension you runnin?

20. vito2279

:stupid: