1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVS Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'General' started by Biker Scum, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Biker Scum

Biker Scum Well-Known Member

Motorcycle Online had a great article on getting started in road racing, written by Sean Alexander.

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcracing/howto.motml

In it, Sean describes the steps he uses to convert his SVS from road use to track use and back again. One important time-saving step in his estimated 40 minute conversion is removing the front fairing and instrument cluster in a single step, requiring the disconnection of two electrical connections, and the removal of only 4 hex nuts on the fairing and two 12mm bolts attaching the fairing bracket to the steering stem.

I would like to be able to make my soon-to-be-race-ready SVS convertable for the occasional trip to the mountains. But I found the wiring on my 2001 SVS did not accomodate the simple wiring disconnnection described. Mine had four electrical connections, two on the right side of the fairing, two on the left. These are joined by a bridge harness that also incorporates connections for the gauges and lights.

I sent an email to Sean, and he guessed that the wiring was simplified on his 2002 model. He offered a good technique to figure out what circuits would need to be jumpered, but my initial experiments indicate that it will be difficult to jumper the correct circuits without including the bridge harness in the mix. I say this because the connections on the right side connect the inputs from the left and right handlebar controls to the bridge, and the connections on the left side connect the bridge to the main wiring harness. So it looks like I'd need to keep the bridge harness (which defeats the simplified conversion) or disaggregate it somehow so that I can jump the necessary circuits.

I'm hoping someone has found a simple way to do this.

Your help (even you patience trying to understand this) is much appeciated.

BS

2. sv650nate

sv650nate Mr. Frame Sliders.

Me too

I'm doing something similar, but I'm keeping the Race Bodywork on all the time, so I'll only have to disconnect the aftermarket headlight, and then the 1 piece custom tail light, turn sig, and license plate bracket, change the tires, and I'm ready to go to the track.

E-mail me at [email protected] If you want more info on how I plan to do this.

Otherwise, I dunno how he's doing that wiring.