1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recommended strength training/cardio to get ready for race season

Discussion in 'General' started by Quicktoy, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Well for the first time in my life I'm working out, and was wondering what specialized things you guys do to get ready for the race season..AND NO IM NOT REFERRING TO CURLING BEER LOL.

I tryed a new ab thing yesterday that about killed me. someone stands behind me while im sitting on a declined bench and passes a medicine ball to me, and i turn and hand it back to them on the other side.. OH MY GOD what an ab workout

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

3. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

For about the last 6 months I've gone to high rep (at least 15) and little rest (30 seconds or so). I do the typical split workout (chest M, back/shoulders T, legs W and arms Th and rest of the week off. Used to do back and shoulders seperate). Only takes me about 30-45 minutes per workout. I do abs ever other day usually. Then starting in Feb I'll run 3 miles 5 days a week. It's just what works for me

4. tylerl

tylerl Well-Known Member

Rowing machine, road cycling, and mountain biking. Do these three and you'll have plenty of endurance.

5. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

When I feel the urge to exercise, I lay down on the sofa until it goes away.

6. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Joe Weider's Rock Hard Challenge will put you in great shape.

7. bel-biv

bel-biv Well-Known Member

8. Racer45

Get some fitness mags (not the meathead stuff) and they'll have some workouts in there. Just find some basic ones. Be smart about your eatting and do cardio. And by cardio I mean get your heart rate up not walking at 3mph for 15 minutes.

9. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Depends on what you're looking to do... Really, for racing, you're probably better off by simply toning up and increasing your endurance. I tried to maintain a light weight with decent forearm & leg strength while being able to sustain a decent heart rate for an hour.

For years I used a recumbent bike for an hour a day & then used various hand strengthening items (like a large block of silicone from a climbing store). A few years back though I bought an elliptical and that has been excellent... if I were looking to race-shape-up, the onlything I'd add would be something for forearm/hand strength again.

You don't need 300# of buckwild muscle on you to race... Look at most of the pro's, they're not exactly big guys...

10. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

Eat, rest, repeat.

11. 02R6

02R6 The dude abides

This is exactly what I do three to four times a week. An hour on the elliptical machine followed by curling some light free weights, sit ups and push ups. When I don't feel like using the elliptical (and the weather permits) I jog 4.5 miles and then do the exercises I follow up the elliptical with. It works well for me, but I don't climb all over a 600 or 1000cc bike, just a 125.

12. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

road cycling. Really do it.......not just out to see the scenery.

13. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

If you are willing to risk injury? Try Motocross.

How the hell do the pro's do (2) 30 min motos?

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

High Intensity Napping

15. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Dirty girls....

Crossfit rocks. Rocked the hell out of my busted shoulder and now I need to go to rehab, but crossfit rocks.

20 burpees after lunch is a bad idea.

16. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

I'm seriously thinking of trying crossfit. But I don't want to get wailed on too much in the begining.

17. RENCRN8

RENCRN8 Fornicate Sailor Jerry

:bow:HOLY SHIT:bow:

THAT IS BADASS!

18. jbrew44

jbrew44 Well-Known Member

Circuit training would be good to throw in . A good diet is very important also. Hard to keep a good diet for me during this time of year.

19. Racer45

The most important and yey hardest part. I hate the way I eat, but I don't like to put extra weigth on in the winter

20. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

Yoga (for flexibility), regular weight training with burpees or mountain climbers in between sets. 2 sets of 12 at X weight then on the last set, cut the weight to half and then do as many reps as you can. Seems to be working for me.