1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a 98 F3.... Thinking of V7 but not sure about mods

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by hosspowerinc, Oct 31, 2008.

1. hosspowerinc

hosspowerinc Well-Known Member

Hi all. Let me start off by saying Im very new to wera and the vintage scene so Im sorry if these are questions that have been asked for the past 10 years(Ive spent the past 2 days searching on here). A little about my riding; Ive only done 2 trackdays, both with nesba. I had an 04 GSXR 750 that I have since sold because of this great economy but loved the bike. I wasnt the fastest guy on the track (in the beginner group) but in the top 5 of 40 Id say. Should I be looking at another year of track days before I come out or is the vintage series an OK place to start?

On to the F3 I just bought. What are the necessary mods for me to get on the track? Its all stock, lowered :down:, with chrome wheels:rolleyes:. Obviously first things are to swap wheels and get it back to stock height but what after that? Im not looking to mod the motor other than maybe an exhaust, BCM filter, and jet kit. Are these worth it or should I leave it alone?

Forks will be on the list but I will probably wait until everything else is squared away before I tackle them. Should I get the stock ones reworked or is there a set from another bike thats better to bolt on? Is a steering damper a necessity on these bikes? The rear shock Ive heard is a must change. Being on a budget can I possibly use an F4i shock until I can get an aftermarket one? I think I read its a bolt on but I dont know if the rules would allow it.

As far a bodywork goes, would it be legal for me to run F4i fairings? It looks like it might be looking at the rulebook but Im not sure. They seem to be cheaper and easier to come by than the F3 stuff.

What tires should I be looking at? I wont be running slicks so who makes the best DOT tire right now? SS lines and vesrah pads are on the list as well. What are my rearset options? I havent seen any for sale.

Well that all I can think of for now but please add anything I left out. I got the bike for $750 so I can put a little money in it but would like to stay below 2k. Thanks in advance for any advise!

2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

OK, glad to have you as anew V7 racer.

A pipe, jet kit is a good plan. F3 stock pipes have no ground clearance, and tend to be a problem. The stock air filter actually flows really well. I would stick to those.

Get the stock forks worked, that will be plenty good enough to win a national championship. Plety of others have done it this way. The stock rear shock is junk. Get an aftermarket shock. That will be money well spent.

You have to have a steering dampner to pass tech.

Any bodywork will be leagal. It has to have a fluid retaining bellypan to pass tech.

Bridgestones are the tire of choice because they are the only ones that pay contengency in Vintage classes, and have won more V7 championships than any other brand. I am a littel biased because I'm the guy that sells them, but the record of wins speaks for itself. We run the slicks, or the DOT front and slick rear because the 165/630 rear works really well on thses bikes.

For brakes, I use the Carbonne Lorraine on mine. They have two compounds, and they are affordable. I couldn't find Vesrah race compounds for our bikes when I used them. I did use them for a couple of years, but the Carbonnes are better I think.

Any kind of rearset, or the rearset adaptors for the stock rearsets will be fine.

Good luck, and we'll see you out there.

3. Dyle

Dyle Glad its a new year!!

Well my friend welcome to the vintage ranks. As you will find out these guys are some of the best competitors youll ever meet. They all really look out for each other. I havent raced in 2 seasons now due to back surgery but when I took my leave of absence I got phone calls from so many of these guys while I was in the hospital checking on me, that it shows the level of true friends you will meet in this field. No worries about some youngin punting you because well he just had to had that corner first. These guys look out for each other because we are all OLD and have to be at work Monday morning. Its a great grid to be on and if you have ridden track days before then you should be ready. Nothing is ever like the first gridding of your very first race. Plus these guys will help you out at the track making sure you are set up right and ready to play fast but safe.
    Now for your bike mods. Carbs and pipe are a good way to start as for alittle extra power out of that bike. There is several exhausts that are good for that bike. I found that D&D makes a good one and its cheap compared to the rest.
    Suspension is the KEY. Thermosman located in Canton Ga. I have his number for you if you PM me Ill give it to you. He is the very best at suspension and it will make a huge difference in how the bike feels in the corners which makes your race. I promise you that.
    Brigdstones are the tires of choice for the vintage crew. They pay for top finishes in races for the V classes when no other tire will. Plus they are the best tire and Stickboy is a good dude to deal with. He will make sure you have the right tire for the right track.
    When I raced my f3 it was all stock other than suspension and carbs and pipe. Low cost to maintain and well a hell of alot of fun to race with. You should love every minute of it.

There is a couple really good guys that know alot about the f3s on here. KJ or Melch or well honestly they are all pretty smart as to what is what and what should be done to make you and the bike better. You will really like these guys and the racing. Well its GREAT fun. I miss it badly and cant wait to return.
    BTW Im Dyle and welcome again.

4. Dyle

Stick we must have been typing at the same time. I read it and he was the only post and b4 I got mine posted you had yours up.

See I told you these guys are great!!!

5. stickboy274

Dyle, that was me getting the hole shot again.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Nope.He's now in Hendersonville,NC.Good luck in getting ahold of him now :p

7. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

You're gonna love V7. Last year was my first year racing it and they are a bunch of good guys. Go with the Bridgestones and you'll be very happy. I run the slicks and they last a few weekends, depending riding style, my style is slow, so they probably last me a little longer. :D

Money should be spent on suspension. I know there are a lot of fans of Thermosman, but I don't know him. I had mine done by the GMD guys in Atlanta and love the feel. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either of them.

These guys all will help you out anyway they can and it's a good bunch of guys to race with. We are a little older and don't have the aspirations of being the next Rossi. Fun group to race with.

8. stickboy274

I am a fan, of Thermosman.

9. Dyle

KJ Mike moved? when did that happen?
    And see all good guys willing to help with any ?s you could have. GMD is cool as well and they also do frame geometry and then there is CTR who you can find just about everytime you are at the track. At least I seen them ALOT this year.

10. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

T-man moved early last year.He's now THE Ohlins guy for the U.S.

He got the big enchilada :up:

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

what does this mean exactly kj?

12. stickboy274

I think I'm offended.

13. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Ohlins' US headquarters is in Hendersonville.He was hand-picked as their US rep.He goes everywhere (Europe for MotoGP/WSBK tests,Sweden for new parts development etcetc).

I was asking him why he had moved (he was just across town for me).He said "Kenny I had two choices.I could stay in Georgia and double my business.Or,I could take the offer I got and expand my business 10 times over,so I went for the big enchilada".

14. hosspowerinc

WOW! I didnt expect this kind of response!!! Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should make it known that Im 22 BUT am not like most guys out there that are my age. Im just looking for an inexpensive way to ride fast without having to worry about all the yahoos out there running me over. Looks like Ive come to the right place! More questions now.....

Should I just get the stock fork internals reworked and resprung or should I look at getting aftermarket parts? I am more than capable rebuilding the forks but Im not sure what the suspension guys do to the parts before they go in. Maybe I could send the emulators alone out to be reworked? Remember this is a budget thing or I wouldnt even be asking. Im fine with having the final product setup professionally but if I can save on the labor then thats more $ I can put elsewhere. (Thermosman is 2hrs from me)

I cant find a steering damper. Where should I be looking?

I found vesrah pads for the bike but cant find the Carbone Lorraine you mention stickboy? Who sells them and which compound should I be looking at?

I dont have tire warmers yet so I was thinking of getting a set of supercorsas or something that wouldnt be hurt too bad by a few heat cycles. Again Im not looking to go win, just have some fun.

Do I have to have a woodcraft engine cover? It looks like it could be a problem on a left lowside so I might get one anyway.

I found Two Bros Racing has the rearset adapters. Are there any better or will these do the trick?

Thanks again for all the help and I look forward to meeting you SE guys next year!

15. Dyle

For your forks depends on your wieght. For a light rider the stocks arent bad. But even me the smallest of the crew I think I had mine upgraded just because it helps with turning in on the corners. Plus some of the tracks like Barber are really bumpy and it helps with that. Ohlins is the best rear but look on the Classifieds of this forum and you should be able to find a used something. Fox or Penske or something. Plus alot of these guys have stuff they sell and trade. Rear sets are up to your budget. Vortex and some of them are really costly but so worth it. Call Cycle Gear or check there web site for one near you and they can help you get a good stick damper or you can always adapt like a pitbull or gpr damper which is really good and will last alot longer than the stick style. Good luck out there these guys are a blast and watch the posts youll see the official Vintage Smack thread start here in a month or so.

16. stickboy274

I sell the carbonne lorraines and tire warmers. Email me and I'll get you some nunbers to work with.
    [email protected]

The rearset adaptors are fine. I have been using them since '02 with no problems.

You don't have to have any case covers for the F2/3

F3's use a cartridge fork, so you won't use emulators in them. You either get the shim stack in the stock valve reworked, or get the aftermarket valve/stack. I know a lot about forks, and I don't mess with the shim stacks in mine. I can rebiuld them all day long,a nd would never build the right stack from a pile of parts.

17. hosspowerinc

OK so could I send the cartridge out and have it reworked then? And just to make sure Im clear, if I bought racetech's valve kit, I would still need the shims redone correct?

18. suzuki2903

suzuki2903 Well-Known Member

where can u buy the rear set adapters? ive been looking on ebay and havent seen any yet

19. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

I'd also look at ebay for a steering dampener. When I had my little get off this year, that's where I found a replacement one. I have the stock case covers and my left survived in tact as well, so I think I'd save my money for suspension and tires. Oh yeah, not sure if you mentioned it or not, but you might want to look into some stainless braider brake lines for the front too. You can never have too much brake. :D

20. hosspowerinc

I found them on the 2 bros racing website. Im sure anyone who carries their products can order them for you