1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaerne GRW Race/Riding Boot review

Discussion in 'Tech' started by georgiadawg, Oct 29, 2008.

1. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

I have been using Gaerne this past year but using the "GRS" model which i am more than impressed with as far as styling, comfort, protection and price goes. I had some bad spills and after the crash test the boots held up very very well considering the tumbling they had been through.

This time i decided to try the "GRW" model and see how well this model was made. The chassi of the boots are the same with the only real noticable difference is the GRS model are zipped up fromt he back and has to metal latches on the side with a whole peice that wraps around your chin for protection. Both model boots are very comfortable to wear and you can move your foot from front to back very easily.

The GRW model has the exact same protection as far as not letting your ankle roll from side to side anymore than a 1/2 inch. The chin protection is very sturdy. The side zipper with the velcro is very quick to get the boot on and has a very tight fit depending on how tight you pull the velcro. There is a peice on the back of the boot that looks like an upsidedown "Y" that has a carbon look to it and looks sweet as well as stopping your ankle from rolling side to side. The styling, comfort, protection, and just how well the boot is made is more than i could ever expect in a race boot.

The Gaerne boots come with a top of the line everything except the price which is a helluva lot cheaper than any other boot that offers the same protection. They do not sell boots in half sizes so if you are a half size order the next size up and put regular insoles inside and they fit like a glove.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Toast

Toast Active Member

Agreed. I reckon Gaerne boots are better built than pretty much ANY boot on the market, regardless of price, including Sidi, Alpinestars, etc.

Only thing that they’re missing is ultra solid toe sliders for those who struggle to get them out of the way when cornering.

I use TCX/Oxtar because I get a super low price on them (and because of the Ti toe slides). If I didn’t get such a deal on these, I’d be using Gaerne all the way!

3. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

did your ride /race with them or just walk around the house? looks like the 'carbon' pivot thingy on the inner ankle area would catch on the heel guard parts on rearsets or even stock footpegs assy's

4. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

I haven't ridden these boots yet. The Sidi vertigo corsas i had did catch the heel guard on my pegs but these won't. They are curved in toward the boot and there is no room to get a fingernail underneath it.

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I'm still tryin' to imagine a boot that can protect my chin...

6. georgiadawg

georgiadawg Elbows Out

Shin:up:

7. PlayHard

PlayHard Well-Known Member

GRS

I have the GRS model and luv them. Great boots. Just don't bring the to tech inspection or they will make you remove the metal toe slider covers. I found out the hard way.

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:D:D

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I got a pair of the Oxtar Replicas for Xmas from my dad, but it turned out they didn't fit the same as the prev. Oxtars I had. STG was super cool to me in that they didn't carry the GRW, but they allowed me to exchange the Oxtars for a pair that they ordered in for me...plug for STG...nice job.

I wore the GRW's all year, and love them. Comfy, great protection, and not terribly expensive. I'll get another pair fo sho.

10. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

11. ducati dude

ducati dude Active Member

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No kiddin man I had no idea Joe rocket was that cheesy. You'd need an extra horse or two to drag those things around the track.