1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About time! Competetion for AMB

Discussion in 'General' started by chase2000gt, Sep 9, 2008.

1. chase2000gt

chase2000gt Well-Known Member

2. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

3. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

What would it take to get live timing an scoring at every track...kinda like miller has in the garages

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We're not changing any time soon. AMB is a proven system. RFID isn't new and it's not exactly the most secure thing out there so until I see a LOT more info on it I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. AMB had been proven in the field for many years by F1, MotoGP and many other world class sanctioning bodies before we bought our first system.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Me wanting to give our officials in the field the headache of setting up a wifi system. To get it everywhere in the paddock I need to justify more expensive equipment - which I can't right now. To get it like Miller I need every track to have their television broadcast abilities as well as TV's all over the place :D

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You mentioned secure...what needs to be secure about a transponder signal?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We need to be sure they're really who they're supposed to be - it's not a huge issue but the rfid thing is still new technology and I'm honestly not sure what the possibilities for cheating could be but it's something I have to consider from my end.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You can cheat any wireless signal. You just need to know the protocol which you can get by monitoring it.

So you have the same problem with AMB in that regard from my point of view.

I'm not saying damnit change...just pointing that out.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know that. Like I said, it's something I have to consider. With the AMB system I have ways of telling where a rider is and how fast they're going, it's a very directional signal and I can tell a lot about what's going on.

I do not have enough information on the RFID setup to know if all of that is possible. Again... I do not know.

I do know RFID stuff is much easier to hack and copy for credit cards. How will that affect a scoring setup? I do not know. But I need to know. I need to know a lot more and the only way for that information to come to light is for the system to be used, but not by WERA right now as we have a known good system in place.

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Butt change is good...

11. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

I may be wrong but I don't think the AMB system uses wireless to connect to the loop, the decoder is cabled to both the loop and the PC. Has that changed, Mongo?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Panther - change is great and I love seeing more people trying new stuff. I'm not knocking the RFID at all even though people are trying to attack why I'm not 100% on it yet.

Frank - the transponder is a radio transmitter, using one freq and a tag to distinguish each transponder from the others. The antenna is a loop in the ground, that is hardwired to my equipment yes.

13. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I can see terrance setting that up.....:up:

Thanks
    Ab

14. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More the amount for stuff Sublet would have to carry would increase. That and I've got enough issues making it work well for Nationals.

I am going to start looking into getting it better for 09, maybe we can expand usage.

16. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

I will admit I dont have a clue how it all works, but AMA Pro DT and SM use the same transpoders we do. For the last few years anyone in the pits had access to live running times. If thoses rookies can handle it..... Tdub

17. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Shun the non-believer.... SHUN HIM!

:D

18. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

It should be pretty easy to broadcast live timing and scoring over wi-fi for you to pick up on your laptop.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is, but as with everything it's still stuff you have to do, more equipment to set up and tear down etc...

I need to learn more about putting in repeaters too, gotta play around and try for more distance.

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Mongo,with amb do you have bunch of missing laps in endurance races?