1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 250r HOTBODIES review (another one)

Discussion in 'General' started by hairu, Aug 23, 2008.

1. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

What you need.
    1. Drill
    2. 1/4" and 3/16" Drill Bits
    3. Cutting device such as a dremel or serrated knife (The drill can be used in desperate situations)
    4. Sand paper
    5. The tool bag that came with the bike
    6. Bodywork fasteners, if you didn't order them with the bodywork

What's included.
    1. Race upper
    2. Race lower
    3. Race tail
    4. Race fender
    5. T-Shirt
    6. Directions

This was my first set of race bodywork, so I didn't know what to expect. When it arrived, I pulled it out of the box and found the following pieces. It also included a print-out of directions that explained how to put the bodywork on. There seems to be one set of directions that's reused for every bike. So, while they will explain the basics of how to install the bodywork, they wont tell you the particular issues you might have to face for the make/model that you purchased. Luckily, there weren't many issues with the installation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next thing I did was rush to get all of the street stuff off. Once complete, I was left with the sexy piece of metal and rubber you see below.

[​IMG]
    This is all the street bodywork that was removed.
    [​IMG]

Following the directions, I mounted the upper to the lower to ensure that they fit well (they did).

[​IMG]

I then started to mount the windscreen. I held the windscreen in place and marked the drill holes with a lead pencil (I know, i know, but I didn't have anything better at the time). Next, I used a 3/16" bit to drill the holes into the upper. It fit like a glove.

[​IMG]

At first, determining the proper placement for the tail was tricky. I'm not sure why, because it seemed so obvious when I finally got it into position. Anyway, I've included a picture of the proper placement just in case you have the same trouble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The tail was drilled with a 1/4" bit which was just large enough for the fastener to fit snugly (very snugly).
    Note: Currently, these front fasteners are the only thing holding my tail on because I wasn't able to get the top holes to mount up with anything in the tail. I'm sure a call to hotbodies support time will clarify this, judging from reports of how helpful they are.

The fender and upper went on with no trouble at all, and fit as if it was developed by the manufacturer. The lower was a different matter. Since my bike is used on the track and street, I still have a kickstand and stock exhaust. These got in the way of the race bodywork. Since I didn't want to ruin my new lower, I spent a decent amount of time mounting, marking, cutting, re-mounting, re-marking, re-cutting the part. I eventually ended up with a lower that resembled the following.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The entire process took 4 hours or so, but the fitting of the lower was the most time intensive part. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the installation of the bodywork. The fit was pretty much dead on and the quality seems good, judging by how much thicker it seems than the stock stuff. I recommend this bodywork to other 250r owners if they don't mind doing a little dremel work.

2. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

Final results...

The final result....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Randal03r1

Randal03r1 Well-Known Member

I was waiting to read, Do not buy hotbodies.......

Did you finish the Keg within the 4 hour limit?

4. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

lol, no the keg was max'd out a long time ago.

5. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

And here's what $20 worth of spray paint gets you...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I first lightly sanded the bodywork with a high grit sand paper, then hung them from a pole and sprayed 4 coats of glossy Rustoleum spray paint on them.

6. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Brownie from TX

How much did the bodywork run you?

7. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Lets say $650 for bodywork then dump $20 in paint...:Poke:

8. McBiker

McBiker Well-Known Member

I guess this can be done for less! :up:

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Looks good. This is how mine turned out.

Had to shave the belly pan as you did. Had to keep doing it more and more. Now place for the chain. kickstand (it's welded so I'd have to cut it off) and exhaust.

Overall I'm pretty happy with em. And they crash well too as my friend helped me find out in my endurance race.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in action with clipons and rearsets installed.

[​IMG]

10. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

don't wanna sound like a dick but what's the deal with you avatar picture? Is that a watermark across the pic?

11. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

I got the bodywork on sale for $275.

12. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was right after my first track day and I was really excited so I put the image on there that the on-track photographer had on his site. In retrospect it's not really fair to use the image if I didn't buy it, so I'm gonna take it down. Also, the watermark makes it look somewhat juvenile.

13. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

The bodywork was only $275, but the initial price wasn't why I went with spray paint instead of something more exciting. I bought this right after my first time at the track. At the track I ended up lowsiding in the rain, so I was a little concerned about getting a pretty paint job that would be costly to touch up every time I went down. I don't plan on making a habit of crashing, but I'm very new to this so realistically I'll see the pavement again sooner or later. Besides, as long as it doesn't look like trash I'm OK with it. It won't lower the amount of fun I have out there. :)

14. hairu

hairu Well-Known Member

That looks sweet man! I'm glad it came out so well.

15. Roosell

Roosell It's just as I suspected

16. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

r6 tail?