1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New 6.7L Cummings Diesel/Dodge

Discussion in 'General' started by RFairbairn, Nov 22, 2007.

1. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

Anybody got one of the new 6.7L Cummings/Dodge? If so How do you like it? I had the 5.9L and loved it, considering getting a new 6.7L

2. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

Well I don't own one, but have driven/researched it a ton. It absolutely rocks. 6spd auto with the exhaust brake is really nice. So much more refined than my 5.9. Some teething problems early on, think the recent flashes have 'bout solved 'em.
    Takes several thousand (break-in) miles for the fuel mileage to come up.
    Excellent forum over at dieseltruckresource.com

If I wasn't such a cheap bastid it would be in my driveway.:D

BTW, whas'up y'all? I haven't been on here in a looooong time.:beer:

3. Even Keel

Even Keel Banned

Get it.

4. Racer45X

Racer45X Well-Known Member

I've bought one about 2 months ago and love it although it's the first diesel I've owned. The 6 speed auto rocks and make sure to get the big (4.11 I think) rear end for towing. With my 20' Haulmark attached and at a stop it'll smoke the tires if you stand on it hard enough :up: Decent gas mileage so far but i'll find out when I go from TX to CA in April....
    Andrew

5. sweeney186

sweeney186 Well-Known Member

Buy a 5.9l if you can find it.I'am a deisel drivebility tech for a dodge dealer.We have had huge problems w/ the 6.7L.Yes software primarily,but also,turbo's,egr flow valves,02 sensors,egr bypass valves,catalysts & particulate filters,just to name the main issues.These engines require ultra low sulpher fuel & low ash engine oil(cj4 spec).One of the biggest issues I see is people not using the proper fuel-some knowingly some not-alot of retailers here are claiming to sell the ultra-but its actually low sulpher-you can tell by the color-ultra is clear or light pee yellow-low is golden or yellow green.the prob is the extra soot created by the low-contaminates everything.The part. filters do not last forever-they have a finite lifespan & will require replacement-currently $2k for the part alone at this time-just depends on how often it must regenerate(wrong fuel,wrong oil=more regens).I also have an 07 right now w/ water contamination in the fuel which is not covered by warranty-$23k inparts alone to correct-all the items must be replaced to restablish the 5/100 warr.So if you do buy one be aware & buy full coverge insurance-comprehensive usually covers fuel contam-but not always.

6. Racer45X

Sweeney,
    What dealership do you work at? I almost bought from a dealer in Houston but found a smoking deal in New Braunfels. I have a S&B cold air and a MBRP particulate filter back exhaust (removes the muffler), how are the turbos being thrashed? I had the reflash and the o2 sensor recall done recently, has that helped with any problems?

7. sweeney186

Mac Haik.The turbo's have variable vanes which are being fouled by deposits.The latest flash has helped-but its the 5th revision in six months-we'll see.Be sure you're getting the right fuel & use the right oil.

8. Racer45X

I usually get my fuel from Shell, I did notice yesterday that up to 20% biodiesel is being used.... I was told by my sales guy to use my exhaust brake at least once a week to keep the deposits down, does that really help or was spouting a line of BS?

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

gee, let me run right out and buy a truck that requires special fuel and special oil.:rolleyes:

10. Racer45X

It's not as bad as it sounds..... most station carry ultra low sulfer diesel (15 ppm) and as for the oil all the major parts houses have low ash oil. It's not too bad, I had more problems with fuel and oil for my R32 Volkswagen.... How's things in the CMRA these days?

11. sweeney186

The bio will actaully cause even more problems.I've had a few customers get fuel from pumps marked ultra-but its actually low!So watch out

12. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

the CMRA is fine but facing its most challenging year in some time. I was just elected to the BOD and it turns out that there is a lot more to this than the actual racing.

We owned an R32 as well and it was an ultra PITA on fuel so I know where you are coming from.

FWIW, I bought the Ram 4x4 1500 with a 4.7l. Stupid move. It gets around 8mpg towing the RV and race bikes. Bummer.

13. Racer45X

Chris,
    PM me if you care to divulge some of the issues in the CMRA, I was a racer for a few years and curious to know what's shakin these days. As for the 1500, I had a '02 with the 5.9 and it got about 7 mpg towing a 7x14 enclosed trailer so the new diesel is a revalation!

14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Friend of a friend type story here:

Guy filled up his new dodge.

Got water in the fuel.

Truck was DEAD.

Long story and about 20K later, he had to get his money back from the holdings company that owned the gas station. Insurance wouldn't cover it and neither would warranty.

I'd really like one of the those new diesels but unless you tow 6 days a week I just can't cost justify it. Plus in a year or two diesel fuel is going to be expensive as shit.

15. Triple Nickel

Triple Nickel Well-Known Member

I have a Duramax and don't know much about this Dodge you speak of, so I asked Websters for you, and this is what I got. :confused: :D :beer:

dodge (dŏj) Pronunciation Key
    v. dodged, dodg·ing, dodg·es

v. tr.

1.To avoid
    2.To evade

16. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

5.9.......that is all

17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Duramax. That is all.:D

18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

My buddy has one and the ride in nicer than my truck just wont pull as good.

19. fatboy122

fatboy122 Well-Known Member

If you want a real truck, but a 12 valve cummins, 18-20 mpg and will out pull any of the new ones!!:D

20. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

No matter what truck you buy the first thing you should add IMHO is extra filtration for the fuel and oil. And getting any fuel supply place to buck up for the repairs needed because they sold you crappy fuel is a uphill battle. I've heard it done, but when the place I USED to get all my fuel from poisoned a few trucks (local indy diesel repair place had 12 trucks in the shop in one month all with NASTY fuel in the tanks from the same place) including mine, they stonewalled. And these guys are fleet suppliers.