1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front Brake Drag

Discussion in 'Tech' started by ZukiRiderz, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ZukiRiderz

ZukiRiderz Member

I presently have SS F&B lines, Stock MC with 750 stock calipers....Im currently doing maintenance on the bike and decided to overhaul the F&R Calipers and F&R MC...
    other item add were replace front rotors and pads....

i inspected all parts related/remove and everything seems ok with no abnormal effects/uneven wear(just your normal wear and tear)...not to mention i have no leaks or problems, im simple being proactive .......

my issue is front wheel drag with no pressure applied on the front brake lever(wheel does not spin one full turn) only will spin freely when calipers are removed....

anything i missed please ask, any suggestions or is this normal (based on what i read and heard this is not normal- if i recall it suggested an overhaul-which was performed)....

i recall this same symptom prior to the maintenance...

by the way prior bp were galfer hh now installed Vesrah srjl....

Thanks
    :beer:

application for an K2 "Sevenfifty"

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Is the brake res over-filled? brake fluid above the fill line?

have you taken brake lever fully on, then off. this may pull some pressure off the pads

3. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

A few things to look at...

1. The only thing that retracts the pistons away from the discs are the tiny ridges on the caliper seals. THis means that the pistons need to be really clean, or the ridges can't do the job. If you haven't done this, disassemble the calipers adn clean the pistons, and inspect the pistons and bores for dirt or anything else that might hinder piston movement. I know you said you were overhauling the brakes, so you probably did that already, but different peeps have different definitions of 'overhaul' so I thought I'd mention it.

2. Fork alignment can affect this too. Make sure the forks are straight, and straight in the triples.

3. There's a tiny vent hole in the M/C that needs to be clear in order for brake pressure to release properly. I'm not familiar with your M/C, but find that vent and make sure it's not obstructed.

4. jpracing39

jpracing39 Member

+2 on cleaning the caliper pistons and making sure the forks are aligned properly.

5. ZukiRiderz

ZukiRiderz Member

1.well i have an aftermarket reservoir which goes directly link to the MC so no lag lol or should i say no hose...(direct feel) @ the time I thought i would have better pressure but i cant say it has improved or not because i installed SS lines @ the same time(three years ago)...also since mine doesnt have a full line or window i simply removed some fluid, so any fluid that returns will have enough room(why did i think of that)....

Just performed this and it didnt help or improve since it was the easiest to do:(

2. do you mean pull the lever real hard hold then release if so then yes no improvement :(

1.Yes i did a F&R MC Rebuild as well as F&R Caliper rebuild, because since the time i had the bike i haven't performed this so i thought now is a good time and can learn, on the caliper rebuild i replace both seals for each piston and the pistom was clean/scotchbrited and was throughly clean and torqued and TL

2.?<----How do i check this(if its possible to explain over the net).....i had the internal replaced and serviced to my weight and they check if there straight(i hope)...and i installed the forks...

could the triples(like u mentioned) and steering stem throw it off....
    without pulling my steering stem can this be check buy turn and feeling any feedback? i dont know if steering stem go bad or need service or easy to damage...

3.I will go see....

by the way so when your bike lifted does your front wheel spin easily(more then one complete revolution?

thanks

Any more ideas or suggestion are Welcomed and for you fellas who replied thanks you for your time to reply and knowledge...

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

My front wheel will not make more then a full revolution on my bikes. It turns freely but there is some pad drag, I'm pretty sure its normal for the brakes to have "some drag".

7. Val

Val Member

Here is something you might want to check. Pull your lever off and see if this allows for more rotation. My bent brake lever caused different symptoms (wouldn't allow the fluid to return to the MC) but it might be worth a shot. Just throwing darts...

8. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

LOL, yea, VERY few bikes will give more than one revolution with the rotors on. The R6's are especially bad about it. SV's tho, spin like the rotors aint even on the bike. :mad:

Very normal, and other than what you already did, nothing can be done to make it any better.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

SV's have brakes? :) (just converted to a gsxr front end on my sv)

10. ed who?

ed who? the opposite of eharmony.

1. if they are EBC's get used to it. Nothing you can do. (i'd say try Vesrah cause 1. they work, and 2. im biased ;) )

2. Check to be sure the lever is not pressurizing the mastercylinder. Some aftermarket levers are very bad at this...simply remove the brake lever and see if the wheel spins better..if so, file the lever SLIGHTLY until no pressure is felt.

11. ZukiRiderz

ZukiRiderz Member

I had on Galfer HH pads now switch over to Vesrah Srjls to find out all the talk is about..lol

dam come to think about it, I do have aftermarket levers LP and as you said there might not be tight tolerance...i will remove the lever as suggested(another why didnt i think of that:eek: ), should of went brembo the first time instead of cheaping out......OEM :clap: FTW

12. banzai132

banzai132 Oh shit! not again!

Get down there and see which pad is dragging the worst...inside/outside and go to your ace hardware store where they sell aluminum or steel shim stock ad space your discs to alliviate the pads (inside from dragging). Or calipers (outside from dragging).
    Start at .010" and adjust your spacing accordingly.

That should help if all the other things you check amount to zip.

13. gimpsta

gimpsta Banned

all u'll ever need

vesrah rjl's
    brembo mc
    galfer steel lines
    motul fluid

14. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

I can fix your problem, $500. the wheel will spin freely when the brakes are hot or cold.

Ab

15. gimpsta

gimpsta Banned

haha i'll do it for less

all he's going to do is punch out your buttons and make it a real big floating rotor.

16. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Sorry, We spend about 20 hours on the front brake system for our GSXR600's before they hit the track, there is alot more to it than just punching out the rotor buttons, which is pretty hillbily.

Best
    Ab

Ab

17. gimpsta

gimpsta Banned

20hrs? i've seen it many of times, done by many of people..

for $500 i'll get brembo calipers then..

18. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

There is alot of machine work and prep that go into our stock calipers, I am pretty sure the Brembo calipers that you buy for $500 wont be as good as ours.

:up: