1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Check out my new toy! Gun guys mainly!

Discussion in 'General' started by Pepe Le Ghey Pew, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Picked this pistol up the other day at a new local shop in Holly Springs. I was shopping and researching the pro's and con's of two guns.

I first was wanting the Glock 9mm or .40 subcompact. But when I went in there to look at them, they also showed me the Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm and .40. I left after looking at both and slept on it for a week.

Glock

Pro's:
    Obviously the Glock name for reliability and durability
    Not known for have problems but you can get it fixed in Smyrna,Ga (right down the road)
    Just a good gun all around
    Con's
    The frame grip was a bit thick for my hand
    Mag release on the wrong side for me (I am left handed)
    Sites can not be adjusted easily
    Had to buy the pinky extension for the mag

M&P
    Pro's
    Lifetime warranty, also suppose to be getting a local armory
    Can be fitted for left or right handed shooters (mag release can be turned to either side) Works well for me since again I am left handed
    Smaller frame grip (also comes with different size grips for different hands
    Comes with the pinky extension on the mag, plus if I send my receipt to S&W, they will send me 3 free mags
    The internals were designed pretty close to a Glock
    Con's
    Just don't have the name that Glock has made for being reliable and durable

The gun shop told me at the M&P test, they held a flat head screw driver to the slide and hit it with a hammer several times and it didn't fire, and didn't leave a mark. They also said, the gun smith said anyway, that one of Glock's engineers left and now works for S&W, so could be why the internals mimmicked the Glock.

Anyway, anyone have one of these M&P's or heard anything good or bad about them. I bought some regular ammo for target practice and then some ammo for protection. Anyone local to Canton practice shoot anywhere close?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...angId=-1&parent_category_rn=15711&isFirearm=Y

2. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Got the full size version in 40 cal. and been happy with it.

3. Not to many accessories for them yet. Not that wanted anything special...but night sites might be next on the list. I guess they do have a light for in front of the trigger guard, and a laser that attaches behind the frame above the grip. Not sure if I like the position of that...especially on a subcompact. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like...might be fun for target practicing, but not sure how big the laser is. This will be my protection gun while on the road so concealment with ease is my goal.

4. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I was thinking about another pocket gun but I think im going to pick up one of the Kel-Tec 380's

5. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

I would avoid Smith & Wesson

they collaborated with the enemy

6. Yeah my Sister n Law told me I should look at the Kel-Tec's too. They were nice and small. She has a Glock, but that was what she carried while she was an agent I think. She has a G26 at home. Brother uses a Beretta 9mm in the Airforce. The M&P's were suppose to be contracted to the Military for certain units from what I was told anyway. I'd like to go shoot it here soon. Get it worked in. Seems to be a nice pistol so far.

7. Hey Mongo...since your in the same neck of the woods I am...did you hear anything about the ban of firearms in Woodstock? Last thing I could find was from June but didn't hear anything out of the hearing from the city council. Anyway, I was gonna ask if you carry concealed, or just transport (open carry)?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I carry concealed and there is no way Woodstock could ban anything since the federal and state laws trump theirs.

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I carry whatever the local bag-man has in his trunk at the time. You only need it to be reliable once, then you........oooops....

10. ExtraJ

ExtraJ Well-Known Member

I have a kel tec P3AT that I've been pretty happy with. Not the most enjoyable range gun, but that's not what it's for. I could walk around with my shirt off and 19 out of 20 people probably wouldn't notice it.

I'm a Sig man for the most part though :up:

11. Well sounds as though they were trying too...at least within their city limits. I still haven't found what came of it though. I don't exactly agree with not being able to carry where public gatherings may occur. I mean that is pretty much anywhere, or any place where alcohol is sold or a parking lot of such place. 8 our 10 times these are likely the places you would want to carry.:D Drunk people!:p

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're not allowed to carry in bars or sporting events or large public gatherings anyway according to GA law. Either way, if it's concealed properly, they'll never know :D

13. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

Meaning don't piss him off at the GNF, fools!
    :)

14. yeah I know!:up: I understand why, I just don't agree with it entirely.:D If I'm not drinking, and just having dinner with my family at say a place like Hooters for instance. Say there is a UFC fight nite, some guy gets all shitty drunk...tries to start something with myself or say even was to back into my car then get out and proceed to attack me or my car. If there was no time to call 911 then what. So I think there should be instances where it don't quite fit well with me. However, it's the law and I will abide.:D, and like you said...:Poke:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, no matter what happens, just remember that your weapon was in the glovebox of your vehicle and you ran out and got it when it was apparent that deadly force was necessary.

16. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

I heard that shop in Holly Springs was pretty nice w/ good prices. My bro in law got a mossberg 500 something with regular and pistol grip stocks for under $250, I believe.

17. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Note to self: Do not make fun of beer drinking Mongo riding scooter at the track.

18. Yes it a nice shop! Great bunch of guys to BS with too. They were not pushy, didn't try to sell me on one gun. Like I said I went in there looking for the Glock...in which the guy who sold me mine had a Glock on him. He showed me the M&P and I ended up going with it. They both were the same price $499

19. I thought it was not allowed in the car either if you were at a public gathering...parking lot included?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, in your car locked up is always fine last I checked. They're not worried about parking lots, just inside of bars and things like the stadium.