1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buyer Beware!! MotoGP compression suit

Discussion in 'General' started by CJack, Jul 7, 2007.

1. CJack

CJack Canadian Redneck

Don't Buy These!!!, Unless you like geting Road Rash.

1-PIECE KANGAROO HIDE COMPRESSION SUIT
    [​IMG]

And here is why, This was a simple 100-110mph lowside get-off at the Gateway International Track in St.Louis, Missouri. One would think that they should have at least held up a little better than this for 800.00+
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

*MotoGP has yet to respond to any Emails regarding thier product*

2. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

Ouch!!!

3. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

that sux... the issue has already been brought up a few times with no real fix other than just saying the suit doesn't hold up well. I have a friend who races mini's and he had an off at about 30 mph on a XR100 and it ripped off the speed hump. Needless to say, I won't be buying one any time soon.

4. R1 Test Pilot

R1 Test Pilot Well-Known Member

+1

+1 seen a buddy lowside at JGP in one of the slower turns and come up with half his shoulder rashed up and it was a brand new suit. The entire suit just gave out..Just my experience with them so far..

5. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

That sucks buddy, I hope you heal up soon. I would highly reccommend getting an Alpinestars suit next time. I've been down in my GPU three times (one was a high speed off at the end of the front straight at Roebling) and the only place that has worn through is a little dime sized hole on the right arm. None of the sticthing has ripped out and this was Alpinestars cheapest suit two years ago. Their gloves are a different story though...I wouldn't reccomend them. Thanks for the heads up about the Compression suit too.

6. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Friend of mine went down twice on his, once going full bore in Turn 9 at Summit. Very small tears that were easily repaired.

7. carpediem

carpediem Well-Known Member

from the way it sounds it's something in the suit quality control ... some work great and others are crap.

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

I hope their gloves are better than their suits.

9. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

all crashes are different, all people a built different. I'd guess there'll always be a combination of factors involved with how well a suit crashes beyond our realm of understanding (exceptions for Alexa and Bill). when you do see a particular suit seem to have some big blow-outs in the same places it makes you start to wonder.

for reference, my rider has crashed in his 'roo MotoGP suit a number of times (T7 at Cycle Jam for instance) and it's weathered them pretty well...I'd still feel better if he was wearing some thick ol' cow like Bill makes.:up:

10. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

I have not seen one hold up well in a get off. I would not wear one.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Doh Boy's seems to have done it's job and kept on going.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe roo leather needs to be pulled extra tight to work properly?

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've just never liked 'roo. Yeah it's light and crashes okay on the pro's suits but it's relative thinness on off the rack suits creeps me out.

14. packfan

packfan El Presidente

I know they are not the most popular suit but I swear by Fieldsheer. The two that I have had have held up marvelously. When I did race (hope to be back sometime soon) I lowsided way to much... Turn 9 at Roebling, the lefty along the top at VIR about 1/2 way to the roller coaster, turn one at Road A.... Never any leather failure. Stitches repaired, but no rash... I love 'em....

15. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

Ouch, that sucks for a new suit! I have gotten lucky with my old Teknic Violator suit in that when it wore through there was always hard armor to protect my skin.

I can say that my Barnacle Bill suit is second to none though. Tested it out in June with a pretty rough tumble and all it has is some rashing on the leather, no holes or tears. Needless to say I will be buying from Bill from now on....

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

packdude, I'll show you the scars on my back and shoulder from Explodesheers.
    Different era and Fieldsheer has had a few owners since. . .

17. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

It's not lucky. Teknic makes some kick-ass durable leathers. :up:

18. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I have to say that the suit I have from Bill is just super Heavy Duty. I think the extra few pounds in leather is worth it for a "Club" racer.

I have a Bill Suit, and I will get another Bill suit. Since I am such a freak of nature, I need to have Bill personally measure me for the next one. :)

19. packfan

packfan El Presidente

That figures... Mine were from 95 and 00... I have not be crazy about their recent "look"...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think the extra weight is worth it for ALL racers. Never understood the whining about leather weight, if you're a pro isn't being able to make the next round worth the extra pound or two?