1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americans Racing in Germany 1st of many to come

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by willowracer845, Jun 12, 2007.

1. willowracer845

willowracer845 When in

Track: Hockenheim Germany Ring Temp: 75-80 degrees

The weekend race comprised of the full team Aaron (CEO, Magnitude Inc.), Jason, Jeff, Kay, Marc, Marson, Reese, and Ron in the 600cc class and Sean running in the 1000cc class.

****I usually save this part til the end of the report, but I wanted to thank all the family and fans in advance for coming out for the
    race!****

Starting with free training aka Dauerprufing:

Normally two's company and three's a crowd, but we had about 50-60 riders trying to quicken their times on the track all during the same 90 min session! Normally, 60 riders isn't a problem, however this weekends' race was on the short course and there were really fast racers and a couple of "lap traffic" riders all together in the mix!

Most of the guys experienced a "bobble" or had a couple of near miss episodes during training. Jason had a small low side coming out of Sachs Curve, however, he got up and continued with minor damage on the
    bike. At the conclusion of Dauerprufing, most spent the break
    comparing race lines and changing setup and tires.

Dauerprufing times:

Reese - 1:13.4
    Jason - 1:13.6
    Marc - 1:13.7
    Ron - 1:13.8
    Sean - 1:15.3
    Marson - 1:18.7
    Jeff - 1:18.9
    Kay - 1:23.3

The Fast Pace Race......Sachs Curve Strikes Again!!

600cc Supersport: Most of our group arrived to the grid late due to various reason's--excuses!! Once gridded, the flagman with the red flag walked off the track and a few of the riders spotted a red light....not everyone, but a small few!! Okay, truth be told, the red light was more like a turn signal! Be that as it may, the race was a go!

Our group was gridded* from the 5th row all the way back to Ron who was second to last on the grid! *

* Gridding for Seriensport is based on participation in the class and how soon you sign up for the race! A bit controversial, but none the less, we're all subject to this rule.

Reese and Marc we're off to a great start, with Ron, Jason, Jeff,
    Marson, and Kay rounding out the class. As they came around into the
    grand stands, Kay fell victim to Sachs Curve by high siding in front of the stands! Dude.....Ouch! The remainder of the group completed the first lap successfully. Marc and Reese continued chasing toward the lead group, while Ron cut and weaved his way thru the group chasing towards the lead groups.

Reese came up on Marc and after a few looks thru the turns, Reese took an inside line and made it stick. Once passed Marc, Reese kept the grit between his teeth and continued to reduce his lap times while catching and passing as many riders as possible.

Marc took stock in the pass from Reese and maintained his race pace passing several riders as well.

Ron, continuing his pursuit toward Reese and Marc fell victim to the Kawa curse. Coming out of the last double right, Ron's engine failed and he had to retire half way thru the race.

Jason gave chase toward the lead as well, however after low siding in Dauerprufing, Jason (keeping the magnitude strong) brought his Gixxer home just out of the overall points in a respectable 16th place overall and 9th place amongst B-License racers.

Marson and Jeff battled throughout the race, nearly making contact on several occasions'. In the closing stages, Marson attempted a late braking pass on Jeff, however, Marson grabbed a hand full of the front brakes and pulled a "Star Boyz" stoppie! Unfortunately, with this abrupt stop, Marson had to run off the track which led to the end of his race for the day.

Jeff experienced brake fade throughout the race, however he set his fastest lap time of the day during the 2nd to last lap of the race!
    Would Jeff say it was good stuff? Not sure, but we think it's good stuff whenever we're all racing together!!

Marc continued chasing the pack ahead, showing signs of the 2006 Marc and his legendary 1:12! Marc finished in 14th place overall and 7th place amongst B-License racers.

Reese was at his fastest pace towards the end of the race. He was able
    to catch a couple of groups of racers, get thru them and continue striving towards the head group. On the final lap, Reese was chasing yet another bike coming into the chicane. He was divided between taking an inside line away from a "fellow" rider being lapped or waiting to pass the rider at the exit of the chicane. This slight hesitation allowed the rider ahead to bridge a gap that Reese couldn't make up before the finish line. Reese crossed the line in 9th place overall and 3rd amongst B-License racers! Two trophies "on the bounce"! Great racing by the entire crew!!!

Racing times:

Reese - 1:12.4
    Marc - 1:12.9
    Jason - 1:13.9
    Jeff - 1:16.9
    Ron - DNF
    Marson - DNF
    Kay - DNF

1000cc Open/Superstock/V-Twin: Sean was the lone representative for the group in the V-twin class! Sean was off to a great start and was as high as 7th place during the race, however the Sachs Curve demons captured yet another victim. Sean low sided at mid corner. He was undeterred and hopped back on the Ducati and rode her home to a 14th
    place overall, 7th amongst B-License riders!

Racing time: Sean - 1:14.4

Seriously folks, everyone out there racing deserves lots of credit....trust me, it's not easy!

Once again, big thanks to all the family and fans who came out to watch the race. We had fans come from all over Germany and we as racers really appreciate your support and encouragement!! The racing was awesome and the family, friends, and fan support is much appreciated!!

The next IDM/R6 Cup race is at Nurburgring 23-24 Jun (I've got extra tickets).
    The next Pokal race is at Oschersleben during the same 23-24 Jun weekend.
    The next Seriensport race is at Nurburgring on 19 Aug.

See ya there!

Racer/Editor/Writer/Publisher
    Maurice "Reese" Evans, Yamaha R6
    Kiss Da Rings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Matthias Schaub

Matthias Schaub Spiegler guy

Reese,
    Congrats to you and your fellow American riders! You guys did great.
    I raced many times at Hockenheim and it was always exiting; espacially the big old track. I loved it and Hockenheim was always a track were many riders showed up. I remember fighting it out with over 80 riders in qualifying for the 36 starting grids for the old short track. That was something.
    Now I am the German racing in America and I love it here.
    Thanks also to all the American racers who helped me.
    Take care and enjoy racing in Germany. Say hello to the Nuerburgring for me!
    Matthias

3. willowracer845

willowracer845 When in

hallo/hello

Thanks for the support and i am sure that on that side of the pond you are supported and help as much as we are... No matter where we/i have raced here in Germany we are always welcomed. On the 22-24 jun our group will be split where four of us will be going to Nuerburgring and the rest will be doing the Italian fest in Oschersleben. Will, make sure to send that report and pictures.
    Marson

4. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Cool to hear about some Americans racing in Germany. I raced Nurburgring and Hockenheim in the late 80's on an FZ750. I remember the last turn at Nurburgring was the first place I ever spun the rear on purpose.
    Plus the absolute most hilarious thing I've ever done on a racetrack was drive my S-10 pickup around the South Course.
    Best of success to you.:up: