1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stitching Busts on GP Techs

Discussion in 'General' started by jimmyboost, Feb 14, 2007.

1. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

So, I got a brand new pair of Alpinestars GP Tech gloves before I headed to Tally last weekend. They seemed great and were really comfortable. I rode the LW Solo, LWT SS, LWT SB and everything was fine, but then I went down in the HWT SS in 5. The gloves have one nick on them from the pavement but when I got back to the pits I found that the stitching had ripped out of three of the fingers (not really confidence inspiring). Did I just get a shoddy pair or has anyone else had similar issues with them?

2. 418

418 Expert #59

Not sure, but I'm nowhere as impressed with the durability of their gloves as for example their boots.

I'll be going with Held next.

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

and I thought this was gonna be stitching fake (*)(*)'s onto leathers...

4. pdxr6

pdxr6 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem. I actually had a few fingers come unstitched from normal use, I didn't even crash in them. I ended up taking them to my local place that repairs leathers and had them restitched. They held up great the rest of the season, but it's not what you would expect from an expensive set of gloves.

5. swang

swang Well-Known Member

Yeah me too ;) , but I'll chime in...

I've crashed wearing 2 different models of Joe Rocket gloves, and both models ripped at the seams in the palm area. Now I did not suffer any road rash, so they did protect my skin. I would not wear them again after the crash though.

Then I purchased a pair of Lee Parks Design deerskin gloves, which only have 4 stitches in the entire glove. I've crashed a few times with them, and while they are scuffed up, no stitches have busted. They are starting to look ratty though, so I just got some RS-Taichi gloves. We'll see how those hold up...

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Kobe.

Get some.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Teknic Violator Pro.. hard to find since they dont make them anymore... I crashed many times in them and they were all scuffed and marked up... no stiches ever tore... I eventually had to find another pair only because the kangaroo in the palm finally wore out...

8. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I did.......two sets of the A'Stars tore across the back of the hand area (not at the stitching - the actual leather tore). The first pair tore after two uses - the second pair tore the first time they were worn. The tears were about 2-inches long and the gloves would not pass tech inspection - so I had to borrow gloves to ride.

I called A' Stars and they gave me a Return Authorization number and told me to send the gloves back (attn: Giovanna) with the original receipt. About two weeks later the gloves arrived back at my house with no explanation. I called A' Stars back and they said they would not warranty the gloves and they kept my copy of the receipt. Their offer to me was they would sell me a new pair of gloves at MSRP if I returned the torn gloves to them.

So now I wear Teknic and Held gloves, sold my A' Star leathers and got Taichi, and my A' Star boots will be replaced by Oxtars ASAP.

9. stow

stow Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with my Alpinestars GP Tech gloves. The stitching in the finger tips ripped out of 3 fingers on the right hand and two on the left after about 5 track days. I will not use any of their gloves again. Now my Alpinestar SMX-1 suit rocks other than the stupid interlocking knee sliders.

10. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Had a set of Alpinestar GP Pro's back in the day. One light crash at 70 or so and that was it.

Never again. Got a set of these now. Two crashes on the bike + who knows how many on the scooter and the index finger is just, and I mean just starting to have stitching come out.

Best gloves I've ever owned. Even better than those old Kawi catalog jobbies I had before.

11. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i had a set of speedstars that the palms wore through on (kangaroo) after a few years. i just replaced them with a new set of speedstars from talbott:up:

12. Echoracing24

Echoracing24 Well-Known Member

I had a pair of the top of the line held roo gloves, went down once and the stud patch on the palm ripped off. Seems like the gloves with lots of stitching are going to bust if they hit the pavement.

13. Moonpie

Moonpie Yo Yo Yo!

I don't like the assumption here that gloves are designed to take crash after crash.....since after so many they are bound to fail?!?! Then what happens to your hands?

My A-Stars are not the most comfy things I have owned. I'm trying the Held next!!!

14. nig

nig Well-Known Member

I've heard of similar problems with A* gloves many times.

15. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I kinda assumed mine would survive one crash, seeing how they're marketed as "safety equipment", but they tore wide open without ever going down.

I like the Teknic over the Held. I've got a set of Spidi on the way and I will report back in if they're worth the $$$$$$

16. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I used a set of Spidi Carbo Tech's for 4 years. They survived several crashes. The index finger finally wore through. Thought about having them fixed, but got a great deal at IndySuperbikes.

This is what I have now. http://www.indysuperbike.com/customer/product.php?productid=112274&cat=25869&page=1

Crashed once in them already and they held up fantastic.

They were the closest fit, feel, and construction to SPIDI Penta I could find. . Love my Spidi gloves, didn't care for the suit.

17. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

I brought a new pair last year and the same thing happened to me, they started coming aparts as the seams before my crash at nelson.

18. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

I went down (lightly) in my A* Gp Plus a couple times. They were five years

old and EXTREMELY crunchy, when I went down at Barber 70ish, and had the outside

of my right fist down the entire way. Barely scuffed em. my .02

They were also the most comfy gloves I've ever owned.

I bought GP Techs as a replacement. They didn't fit me right. I sold them to

DDT, didn't fit him correctly either.

19. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i had the stitching on the index finger come out on my clutch hand, i just took a needle and thread and used the existing holes in the leather, but not what i think you should need to do with a 220.00 pair of gloves. i've always liked alpinestars but it almost seems they are going the way of cheap mass production, i think they should put a piece of leather on the tips of the fingers and over the sides, i do think the gp techs fit awsome for me and they are comfortable once broken in, but maybe i'll go the taichi direction for my next set of gear

20. stow

stow Well-Known Member

I have been using the MotoGP Nitrous gloves and so far I really like them. I used them all last year after my Alpinestars ripped apart.