1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attention MotoGp Roo's

Discussion in 'General' started by barnacle bill, Jan 14, 2007.

1. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

it's probably none of my business, well actually it is my business as is the safety of my clients but this is the 3rd motogp roo suit I have had in here in two weeks with catastrophic seam and leather panel failure. looks like as the hump hits the ground it is ripping the back and arm out of the suit. here are some pics of the damage done. this is the third one of these in two weeks with exactly the same damage . Alexa how many of them like this have you seen? riders need to know. thanks, b bill

Attached Files:

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bill, have you seen any of their leather (non 'roo) suits come in with the same failure?

3. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

oh man-thats not good

4. jamilrahman

jamilrahman Well-Known Member

whoops... i just bought that suit....

note to self: don't crash on your back!

5. BigWill 74

BigWill 74 Well-Known Member

buy teknic speedstar

6. Size9

Size9 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info Bill. I was just about to pull the trigger on one of those.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Sure thing, chuckles. :rolleyes:

8. dsting

dsting ouch, brake, ouch

Yeh, a little more info would be helpful such as what DaveK said as well as the number of roo suits without the failure, and the nature of the crashes. Thanks for lookin' out for us, Bill :up:

9. nig

nig Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that isn't shocked?

Cheap, Chinese, fancy designs, well marketed. No guarantees there but I'm not surprised, pretty typical of inferior products.

Now, all leathers can fail if they're in bad shape, old, sweaty, dirty but I'm sure Bill took this into account before posting.

10. barnacle bill

Roo suits

actually I just made the connection on these suits because there were three of them here at the same time ( within 2 weeks) all with nearly identical damage . it's is just this model motogp roo suit we see very few of the cow hide models. these were all fairly new. less than a year old and I believe first crashes. looks like the speed hump is tearing out and ripping down the panel and through the sleeve. some seams are involved but so are some panels right down the center.
    if you already have one I would suggest reinforcing those areas on the inside of the suit with some glued in pad leather . couldn't hurt. just my 2 cents. b bill

11. dave333

dave333 traveler

Have you seen this kind of failure in any other suit?

12. barnacle bill

NO

not unless it was cut off by medics . these are opened up pretty good. unusual damage for one fall and not just in one suit but in 3 suits here at the same time .that brought it to my attention. thought I should say something. one of the riders said the suit was half off of him before he stopped tumbling exposing his neck, back and arm but fortunately he was in the grass by then. b bill

13. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

i was always skeptical about kangaroo hide...

...but...they kinda look cut? (paramedics)

but i'm sure you know the diff.

14. barnacle bill

not cut

not cut. torn across the panel, through the collar , down the shoulder seam and down the sleeve. started at the hump from impact and went from there. not a lot of abrasion from the impact either. could just be a coincidence. but 3 in 2 weeks and the same suit? not trying to make a point. just disclose my findings. thanks, b bill

15. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

Bill, sorry for the threadjack, but since you are online how is Christopher doing?

16. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

I've not seen any that look like that. I'm forwarding the info to someone in the chain of command where the suits are made. (We do warranty for MotoGP). However, that doesn't look good.

17. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Reason #5,257 to buy a custom suit from a known-good supplier. Good info Bill!

18. barnacle bill

christopher

he is hanging in there. the family moved to springfield so he doesn't live on our road anymore but I still get news from him. he is really a sick little boy. I am told he is taking experimental treatments now and he wears a body brace full time. a nurse comes to his home for his therapy but I don't know if he is on homebound schooling. he doesn't get out with no immune system. that's about all I know. I'll tell his grandmother that you asked. she lives nearby. thanks. always the best. b bill

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks for the info Bill. Do you think it's because of the realtive "thinness" of the 'roo? My understanding is (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that because of the realtive small size of the "pelts" of material, they are forced to use a number of sections where a higher end suit would use one.

Scary, I'm having flashbacks to the days of the exploding Fieldsheer suits. :(

20. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

Dang, I've got a Fieldsheer and a MotoGP Roo. :eek:

Just one to throw in, I AM NOT arguing with anyone, just giving my experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slight strawberries on right forearm (see first pic), otherwise unscathed.

The hump certainly hit the ground.

The right forearm of the suit tore slightly, a 1 inch break was in the seam of the right thigh.

B.Bill fixed it, but said the damage to the suit was a tidge excessive for the

speed of the wreck.