1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guitar Players - Classic Blues Tone Question

Discussion in 'General' started by Heavy-Dee, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Heavy-Dee

Heavy-Dee Well-Known Member

2. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Fender Super Reverb and a Tubescreamer will get you close. I'm sure he's using lots of other effects, but most of it is just puff after the two above.

3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Mmmmmm.... Tubescreamers.. :)

There's a million combos if he has done pickup work, different strings. All kinds of stuff. But Frank's got the right road.

4. RockStar44

RockStar44 Hayden OWNS Martini!

+1 with Frank.

To be honest thought, for live audio, I think that snare sounds pretty damn good! :up:

5. Heavy-Dee

If you watch you can see his amp in the background. Looks like some sort of tweed seriers amp.

HD

6. Knarf Legna

Hyper, he played stock strats in his early career from what I've read, although lately he's been tweaking the pups. His sig strat has his custom wound.

H-D, I saw him a couple of years ago and he was using a couple of Victorias with the Fenders. Those are sweet amps with great reverb, but I dunno if I'd pass up a Super Reverb for one if I was looking for a home rig.

7. Heavy-Dee

And I'm pretty certian that he's playing his sig strat in that vid.

Cool mang. I haven't been playing much in the last 5-6 years or so. But I saw this vid last Friday and had to come home and bust out my rig and do some noodling. I really need to spend some time getting a good tone so I'll be inspired to learn some new stuff.

HD

8. Knarf Legna

Here's a video where the tweed Vic is real clear.

9. Heavy-Dee

Good vid. Who did that song originally?

10. Knarf Legna

The Meters. Old school funk!

11. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

I play with a guy sometimes that uses a Strat with the Texas Special pickups, a Tube Screamer (one of the originals), and a Fender Blues DeVille that got pretty close to that sound. He also has a really old Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes that sounds pretty good.

12. Heavy-Dee

My strat has those Texas Specials (IIRC) and one Seymoure Duncan Humbucker in the bridge position.

I like it. I only use the bridge postion when I want that fat overdriven sound anyway.

HD

EDIT: Yep, I did remember correctly. It's a Lone Star Strat. Texas Special SC's and one Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  13. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

For a little less $$$ a Tubescreamer and a Fender Blues Jr will get you there too . :up:

14. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

You wanna do it right? A Strat, neck pickup, and a Fender Super Reverb w/ 4x10 cabinet, and a Tube Screamer with the gain dialed down. A Fender Twin will do it, too. Just won't push as much air. Oh, you gotta make those ugly faces like Mayer does, too. ;)

Fender sells a "boutique" amp called the Vibro-King, with 3 10" speakers. They are kinda pricey, but for a newer amp, I dig their blues tones.

15. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

You can get close without spending a ton of cash.

Excuse the crap ass playing but you'll get the idea.

Sample

16. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I miss my old Blues DeVille amp....:(

17. Venom51

A biege set of Vibro-Kings is what is on stage with him or could be some Victoria replica Fender Tweeds.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  18. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Not bad, Kenny. I just got a guitarport, too. Line6 finally wised up and now offer Mac support. Very cool toy.

19. Venom51

The GP just made it easy. I can get close to that out of the 5150-2 as well.

You don't the touch sensitivity out the GP that you get with a tube amp but it makes it easy to play room level volumes.

20. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Werd. It's been months since I've plugged into my Marshall DSL. Plus, I don't want my scary neighbors to know I've got guitars & amps here.