F3 Shock Question

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 223bush, Aug 3, 2006.

1. 223bush

223bush Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get my 1998 f3 ready for v7 next year ,and am running into a problem. I put a fox shock on it ,and now the geometry is off. It is an inch high. Does any of the v7 faithful know of a linkage that I can swap out to lower it the inch I need? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Jeremy Burroughs

2. melch

melch V7 Pusher

Sounds like you have a fox for a 95-96.The linkage on all F2's and 97-98 were the same.95-96 were a little different resulting in the ride height difference.Keep in mind though that you want the rear considerably higher than stock.I can measure and give you some #'s front and rear if you like.

Worst case you simply change the linkage and use the ride height adj. on the shock.

3. 223bush

Sir any help would be greatly appreciated. I was shooting for 2" above the clamp in front ,and 21.5" inches from the center of the axle to the last hole in the subframe. I believe I got these numbers off this forum using a search function. Unfortunately, the end has been hacked off my subframe so I'm having to measure another bike to find where the hole should be. If I buy a 95-96 linkage do I need the entire assembly or just the dogbone portion? Sorry for all the questions. I'm slow both on the track and off :D
    Jeremy Burroughs

4. melch

melch V7 Pusher

Yeah Jeremy,those were my old #'s.I have since found better.I will send them to you with a different reference point on the rear.Yes you need the entire linkage,including the dog bone if you change.I may have one.Give me a day or two and I'll dig for it.

If I dont have one keep in mind any year F2 will work as well.

5. MES Racing

MES Racing Well-Known Member

Different numbers ... if you would'a give those to me, then maybe I'd still be riding a Honda.:Poke:

6. 223bush

Mes he probably knows that I'm so slow all the setup in the world will never make me fast. So I would never be any competition. Melch if you find a linkage I'll send you payment through paypal or personal check whatever you prefer.
    Jeremy

7. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

melch send me those #'s too.the last ones are great but iam willing to try something diffrent. [email protected]

thanks sauce

8. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Wassup Sauce?

Melch, count me in too (PM me) I just got my F2 dialed in this past w/e for Grattan, but additional info can only be a good thing.

Oh yeah, I have an after market subframe not the OEM. So pls suggest or describe an alternative measurement point for the rear.

9. 223bush

Well, update. Hopefully this helps anyone having the same issues. I ordered a linkage from a 95-96 f3. Once installed measured the height only to find that the bike was sitting even higher. I finally found that if I matched the longer dogbone from the 95 with the linkage from the 98 that I could get within an 1/8 inch of the 21.5 I was hoping to get.
    Is this okay or did I mess something up? I'm not exactly sure that my measurements are exact because the end of the subframe is missing.
    I'm trying to get this right because crashing sucks.:(

10. melch

melch V7 Pusher

oops

Man Im sorry.I got busy and forgot about it.If you still have your seat and use a solo tail Ive got 21" exactly from the center of the axle to the center of the seat bolt or seat bolt hole.

That is with the bike not on a stand but in a sport chock(only holding the front).You should be able to lift the bike in the rear about a qtr.of an inch(free sag)at the back of the seat from its rested position.

This is not stock geometry,but you dont want stock.If this feels much better and your comfortable with it,drop your front another 1/8" to 2 1/8.As long as your bike doesnt feel twitchy,and it shouldnt,you should be good to go.

Hope that helps.

11. 223bush

I really appreciate your help. I'll try those settings ,and see how they do.
    I'm really excited to try them out at nelson ledges in two weeks. Hopefully, with my suspension set, I can get up enough speed to race next year without embarrassing myself. I'm going to try and make at least one SE race next year probably at Talladega or Barber along with running the NC region. Hopefully, I'll see you there and can thank you in person.
    Jeremy

12. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

h-man will you be at nelson?

13. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

I was wonderin' if you were ignoring me.

Yep. I'll be there this w/e. The weather forecast is a bit iffy. If there's a high probability for rain on Sunday, I'll probably bag it.

There's no glory or gain for me racing in the wet.