1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Rossi leg dangle thread

Discussion in 'General' started by The Dung Beetle, May 14, 2009.

1. So, for the past few years, Rossi has been dangling his left leg when entering hard braking left hand turns, and it seems like he was repositioning his foot after down shifting. This season, he has also been doing it with the right leg in right hand turns, even though there is no shifter on that side. Did he find out that he can balance the bike better with the leg out during turn in? Is he just more comfortable that way?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A lot more guys have been doing it recently. And not just in MotoGP.

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Whats interesting is hes taing his right foot off, so hes not trailing the rear brake in. Well, maybe? Too many people are doing it. I think i might start.

4. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

there was an interview somewhere he mentioned his balance felt better doing it

5. I feel that is due to copying the best. A lot of people use two pucks in the rain now too, but Rossi was the first that I saw doing it.

The reason I started the thread, is he is now dangling the right leg too, not just the left, so the question is why?

Did it give him a comfort level when he did it with the left, so now he does it with the right too?

Is he using it like a counter balance motocross style?

6. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

Seems like Rossi has a Joker side to him...maybe he does it to see who's watching. :D

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

We had this thread a while back and someone posted up some early 90's video of other pros doing it. I thought it was something Rossi started but it's not.

I do it on my mountain bike. I got skillz.

8. Sevenfiddy

Sevenfiddy Well-Known Member

I remember a commentator talking about it a year or 2 ago, saying that it was easier to do it with his left leg because he uses the rear brake.

9. burner42

burner42 Well-Known Member

maybe he has one of those rear hand brakes, so he can back it in while dangling his ding a dang ding ah ding aling lang along???

10. joec

joec brace yourself

Maybe if they ever showed his throttle hand, instead of his clutch hand, we'd be able to see that on the television.

11. bardo

bardo Well-Known Member

i just cant wait to see every single person at trackdays start doing it.

12. AM # 726

AM # 726 Well-Known Member

Im going to try it next week at Summit...Ill post the results! :)

I would like to see Spies wave bye-bye while at full tilt one handed. lol

13. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Weight transfer.

I dont know how to explain the physics of it but it helps with weight transfer and setting the bike up going into a turn... Or so I have heard commentators say...

As far as everyone doing it in the future maybe... who knows...

I know the engineering of bikes/tire technology and the such have helped lead to the "knee being down" but...if I remember correctly there was a time when no one was "draggin knee" either ... something to think about...

Ride safe,
    AAron

14. tarheelguy451

tarheelguy451 Well-Known Member

The first time he ever did the leg thing was the last corner of Jerez a few years ago.
    He got in a little hot and was a little out of control and banged into Gibernau as a result. No biggie, just racing.

Now he dangles to make us think it was on purpose back then :)

15. Spies just did it at monza.

16. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Bayliss did it on nearly every left hander turn in WSB last year. He was the first one I noticed doing it but it's very possible Rossi was doing it before him.

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's not new. Schwantz did it all the time.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

He did what I would call the reflex version of the move. That happens on a bonkers passing maneuver under braking, when you have zero margin left for error. It maybe my perception, but until fairly recently it was almost always done under similar conditions (Rossi on Gibernau, last corner in Spain, which ended their friendship). These days, some of the GP guys do it pretty much on every lap, even under "relaxed" conditions.

I remember doing the "save your ass" version a few times when I didn't think I was going to make the corner. I didn't try to do it, didn't even want to do it. I felt like an idiot every time. It was as if my body was preparing for a MX-style turn (and most likely, crash). I can't believe now it's cool. :D

19. caferace

caferace No.

Willie Shoemaker used to do it too.

-jim

20. I was thinking there is no way he makes that corner when I saw Spies do it. I thought he was getting ready to get off the bike.