1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zero Turn Lawn Tractors, Take 2

Discussion in 'General' started by DrA5, May 16, 2017.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

Several years ago, I asked here about zero turns. I have just over an acre with hilly terrain and enough trees. I ended up with a Cub Cadet i1042 lawn tractor that was a zero turn (with an actual steering wheel, not looking like the tank turning levers).

Problem was, the deck had timed blades. I have had to replace them four times in the last five months due to the blades going out of phase and hitting. I have done everything to avoid the blades going out of phase.....low throttle blade engagement, clean the teeth on the pulley and belt....etc.

I am done with it. So, the search is back on. I would prefer a rear discharge to avoid the hayfield look and 44-46". Hustler brand came up as a highly recommended brand.

Anyone have feedback on Hustler...the mower brand? Or any other highly recommended brand that can handle terrain as a zero turn that is for residential use......under $3K-$3500.

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Dixie Chopper will last your lifetime but a bit above your budget.

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My stepdad has a gravely and really likes it. But ... I have no clue on cost.

4. Our corporation owns Dixie Chopper, think I get a discount.

Rising, 27stormin and Boman Forklift like this.
  5. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

ferris, or simplicity. a bit out of price range new but, you get what you pay for. blade speed is EVERYTHING, when going for the "not like a hayfield" look. the full length deck rollers give it the ball park striped look.

get over the steering wheel thing... I was a tractor guy, was "scared" of the sticks, after the second time mowing, you learn, you can do anything with them. the speed you can mow at, and the maneuverability of the zero turns, lets you have more time to do other things, than sit on a tractor. I mow around 3 acres, went from a simplicity garden tractor (sovereign 48" deck) to the citation xt ZT 50" deck, cut my mow time by 30% (no shit).

don't make another high dollar mistake, buy once, cry once... plan on it being the last mower you will buy. Ski

panthercity, backcountryme and DrA5 like this.
  6. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Man I am most likely in the minority but I've got a craftsman heavy duty and I ABUSE it.

I use it at my house, business and track and plow over everything and it works just as good as ever...

Track property is 9 acres with prob 6 being cut.
    House is 3 acres
    Shop is prob 2

It's definitely ready for oil change but man I am very satisfied.

7. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I am more concerned about the size of most zero turns like Dixie Chopper fitting into my already crowded shed. Otherwise, I'd be all over a big deck monster zero turn.

8. caferace

caferace No.

Who actually makes it?

yes, I went there. :D

-jim

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You don't need a big deck. Smaller decks will cut nicer and more maneuverable. Unless your yard is side open, it probably wont save you much time either. I cut about 1.5 acres with a Snapper 48" commercial walk behind, and probably couldn't cut more than 15 minutes off my hour and 45 minute normal time with one.
    Go smaller zero turn.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I have the 52 inch hustler raptor for my 1 acre property with more than a few trees and it works great.

I've got the mulching attachment but if I could do it all over again I'd get a bag for the clippings.

Any specific questions you've got? I also did tons of research and at this price point the Hustler was the best value.

DrA5 likes this.
  11. 27stormin

27stormin Well-Known Member

Where do you work? I'm at TSV.

12. condon66

condon66 Member well known

A friend of mine did initial clean-up and maintained forclosed properties. They came across some reaaaally badly over-grown yards and beat the hell out of their Hustler zero-turns. Those things were tanks!

13. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

My Ferris 60in cut half an hours off of the time it took to cut my property compared to the 60" John Deere tractor with 4 wheel steering. Now down to about an hour if I am in a hurry. The suspension really helps too, not just a spring mounted seat but shocks and springs on the rear axle and an articulated fron axle.

backcountryme and r6fast like this.
  14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Grasshopper. I have one that has the Kubota diesel and love it. It's super easy to work on, parts are pretty cheap and I can mow 11.5 acres in 3.5 hours on one tank a of fuel (3.25 ish gallons).

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  15. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Had one of those at my last home. Took only 20min to mow that 3/4 acre with a bunch of trees

BrianC636 likes this.
  16. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I want one of those Jacobson mowers with the rotary blades. My yard would look like a golf course if I used one of those, right?

17. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Sure. :D

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yeah, a really shitty golf course.

19. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

20. No idea what my yard company uses but my lawn looks pretty good.