1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

zen & the art of mc maintance

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by krzkevin, Dec 17, 2002.

1. krzkevin

krzkevin Member

just finished this book by Pirsig, wow. anyone else have any thoughts on it.

2. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

I wasn't impressed by it. It was full of sophomoric philosophical ramblings. The writing was uninspired and oatmeal-bland. Nothing really fresh or mature.

"The Perfect Vehicle" by Melissa Holbrook Pierson was a far more rewarding read.

3. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

BTW krzkevin (and others)... in case you're interested Harold Paige's GNF winning FZ750 is for sale in the WERA Vintage classifieds. He has a pickup truck load of spares too.

Here's everyones chance to be on a sure thing for the 2003 season!;)

4. GrantMLS

GrantMLS Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with Diesel..

5. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

I've always really enjoyed it, read it a number of times over the last 20 years. It is slow-paced and highly introspective. Not a light read by any stretch, but there's a lot there.
    I work as a programmer, when we get straight out of college newbies or interns in the office it's one the the 3 books I recommend they read if they're serious about doing well.

6. ZedX Racer

ZedX Racer New Member

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance either speaks to the reader or not. When I read it, I was in graduate school and I found the question of what could be known very relevant. As a student of economics I would sometimes get frustrated with positivism so I also found Pirsig’s quest for quality refreshing. However, my wife is a prodigious reader but she has never made it through Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I guess you have to be at a certain place in your life to appreciate it.

On a practical note, Pirsig’s description of the goings-on in a motorcycle repair shop has stuck with me. I have witnessed many of the behaviors that prompted him to ask how anyone could do a good job if they don’t really care about what they’re doing. Obviously, an important lesson for any serious motorcyclist -- either learn how to fix it yourself or seek out those rare individuals who truly care about doing quality work.

7. evilhordewannabe

evilhordewannabe Well-Known Member

That book was required reading dring the summer before freshman year at Miami U. (Oxford), so naturally I just read the Cliff Notes......:D

8. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I liked it when I read it 14 years ago......when I was still in college.

9. haz133

haz133 Active Member

I just ordered a copy from ebay. Guess I better give it a read and see what it has to say to me. I've always been a little off, so maybe I can identify.