1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YZF750 legality

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamageezer, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the big thing to remember with all of this discussion - this rule isn't new and hasn't changed a single bit since it was written for the FZRs.

2. 418

418 Expert #59

I just don't really get why you hold the SBK rules yet you can run a full blown 500GP bike in the same class. And I know the rule is not new but I always thought it was odd.

The V6LW rule is where you got it right. Motor must date back to class required year but the chassis can be whatever as long components are period correct.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Gotcha. I'm not fully informed on the other hybrids so, thanks for the clarifications.

Wow, if I read the rules correctly, this bike is only eligible for F1 and no vintage. I think it could do quite well against today's offerings.
    But only one class? Bummer. I guess that's why there was a question to begin with.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The chassis and motor must still match in V6LW.

The 500GP is a performance index. I could see allowing the FZR1000 motor in a YZF chassis as a performance index too - however that is NOT the way the rules are currently written.

Are you just bored and looking to complain about something?

5. 418

418 Expert #59

Not complaining, discussing.

And yeah, I'm pretty freaking bored. :D

And apparently I've completely misunderstood V6LW rules.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not much to discuss, rule is the way it is, if we have a some people with YZF's and FZR motors ready to go into them I could see looking at changing the rule to allow it. :D

I think the only hybrid to run it was Joes. And I think it fit due to some of the wording in there but can't remember details.

418 likes this.
  7. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

V 6 Light Weight machines may run any hybrid engine/frame combination as long as the engine meets the year cutoff. (Rule book)

Any frame and component..that's why Joe's bike is eligible. There is no restriction. That's what we talked way back when creating the class.
    Jamie Millers hybrid was another example.

According to the rule book I can put an h2 engine in an FZR 400 frame and be legal. I think it's been great...

418 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I obviously didn't read thoroughly - sorry about that!

WERA33 likes this.
  9. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Well, it's been awhile..maybe 10 + years since then..

10. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

The YZF 750 came out in 93/94, right? The year on V7HW is 95 and older, like models are allowed. (F3 came in 95, was the same until 98. All are legal). Displacement doesn't matter, it's superbike rules. Frame/cases match, anything else goes as long as the modification was in existence in 95.

Now, go build great bikes and ride them. Someone come get my F3 and get in the mix.

11. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Man, three years later and the bike STILL isn't done. Well it's pretty close now, so let's hope 2021 is a better year for all. On the flip side, I now also have a 1990 FZR1000 with a fresh 1040 motor, so maybe I'll build that too.

evakat likes this.
  12. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

Y'all know the FZr1040 motor fits in an FZr400 frame right? and a CBr900 motor goes in a 400 easy...

Stumpy and yamageezer like this.
  13. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Sheeet, maybe i'll just throw an R1 motor in the YSR and call it good. ;-)

Stumpy and SBKBee like this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

Great info!!!

yamageezer likes this.
  15. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

why did you say that....now I want a FZR400 with the 1040 motor......cheap OW74 (if I recall right)

16. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

Seen a RZ350 motor in one at the GNF in the mid 90's