1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yzf600r no-spark??

Discussion in 'Tech' started by britx303, Jun 10, 2018.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Im using a later YZF harness that has a TPS attachment,but using earlier non-TPS carbs. Im not getting any spark,and curious if not having TPS hooked up would keep it from sparking. This particular bike is being assembled from sourced parts from various bikes,and im not familiar with YZFs. Any YZF Thunderkitten experts here?:D

2. britx303

Electrics suck:cool:

3. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

not an expert, but I do have a service manual on disc. I can mail it out to you if you think it might help. It covers all year YZF600.

On the carbs.. My 95 picked up a considerable amount of pep by swapping on the later model carbs. I removed the TPS and am running the stock harness.

4. britx303

The harness I have is one with the TPS hookup,and ive tried carbs with and without the pigtail. Ive tried 2 ECUs, 2 different pickups and no-spark. The only thing is my guage cluster and both left and right handlebar switches have been "modified.....hacked" by the previous owner. Not sure if the guages and handlebar switches are doing anything to prevent spark,but I know guys remove the handlebar stuff for racing anyways,but not sure what is done to compensate for removing any of that stuff since I leave all that on my bikes.

5. Lazy Destroyer

Lazy Destroyer Well-Known Member

The red stop/run switch cuts power/signal from the ignition control unit to the two coil packs. Maybe just verify the stop switch on the right side controls is connecting the red/white wire and the red/black wire on that pigtail.

6. Lazy Destroyer

Left side controls and gauge cluster don't appear to have any relation to the engine controls and ignition box.

Are you sure the key switch isn't also tampered with? Fuse for ignition?

7. Lazy Destroyer

8. britx303

Left side control has a clutch switch,which seems to prevent it from turning over without a jumper between the black/yellow to blue/yellow wires. Your other suggestions and the diagram will be a huge help!! Thank you Sir!!!

9. Lazy Destroyer

Ah maybe I'm thinking of the FZR that doesn't need the clutch pulled to start. Or my old YZF was bypassed.
    You're welcome, hope it helps!

10. britx303

Yeah,my brain keeps reverting to FZRs also:D

11. britx303

The handlebar switch is working fine,and the key switch wiring has not been cut,and looks clean inside and out and unmolested. I did just realise the ECU i have for this is for a 1st gen R6.....not a YZF. I have a 99 r6 parked right next to the YZF and got to thinking.......and WALLAH! its the same ECU by mistake. I do however have one YZF600r ECU from checking the numbers on it to make sure,but still no spark. Im definately at my end of.......errrr "capabilities??" trying to get this sorted. Ive gone through all the grounds/connectors/fuses/switches/coils that pertain to ignition,so im stumped and thinking its the old ECU.:confused: