1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoyodyne Slipper lifespan

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've got a Yoyo slipper in my FZR and love it, at my current lazy pace I'm getting about 10 hours on a clutch pack with it before it shaves off too much stack height and slips when it shouldn't. I'm contemplating getting one for my 2nd gen R6 but I'm curious how long the clutch stack will last in it before diving in. Anyone got experience with them in that application that can share data?

2. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

2000 R1 superbike I run 1 sec off out right lap records at my tracks. 3 yrs on stock stack. i think your starting off waaaaaay to thin stack.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Heh, so as backwards as this sounds, by being on pace your clutch wear will be less as you're spending less time coasting (slipping) than I am. :D 3yrs on a stock stack sounds awesome, as long as I can do a full season without having to change I'm more than happy.

On my machine I'm dealing with a clutch that's comically undersized to begin with (YZ80 plates and steels, not kidding) while pushing a good chunk more power through it than OEM, and a complete brand new stack barely gets me into the start of the ideal stack height range with a new clutch assembly, so it's run time is limited. I've not had any luck yet finding someone to make me thicker steels to allow for more tuning options, so I just track my wear and keep a fresh pack on hand at all times.

4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

What does the clutch look like when you pull it? Is it smoked or just worn normally?

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If I didn't tell you I ran it you likely wouldn't be able to tell. Individual fibers and steels don't even measure out of spec, but when you've only got 1mm of total stack height as your margin it doesn't take much to spread that wear across 9 fibers and 8 steels. I've been doing two fiber stacks for every steel stack change. I should be finding someone racing YZ85s to sell them my used stacks cheap.

6. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

try double stacking steels. or take a couple steels to a machinist and get them surface ground down to different thicknesses.
    Not sure about less slip on entry, 3 fast shifts, no blipping from high speed, off a straight. it slips alot!
    maybe i got lucky and have a unicorn.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm betting I let off and start my downshifts where you're grabbing another gear. :P (Sadly, I've actually had that happen to me on track, damn RS125s...)

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

The double stacking steels isn't a bad idea if you're not willing to get a thick, cryo-treated base metal to start your stack.