1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Announcer Speaking . . .

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by Celtic Racing, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Celtic Racing

Celtic Racing Member

And what am I gonna say!?!?!?!?

Hi, all. I'm Tom Fitzpatrick, Celtic Racing, and I'll be your announcer at the upcoming Summit Point WERA National on August 2-4.

I've really enjoyed announcing the local races, and I am very excited about announcing this National event. I'd like to ask for your help.

With Summit as my local track, I know a lot of the guys for the Regional races, and I think that it helps bring some depth and texture to the program. I'd like to do the same for the Nationals. Of course, I subscribe to RRW and Cycle News, and those will no doubt help me. But, I try to bring a personal touch to my announcing. That's where I need help. If any of you gentlemen (and everyone else, too) would like to forward me information about you, your sponsors, your racing program, the ideal woman, etc., I would welcome it. The 3rd best way is in the body of an email sent to [email protected]. The 2nd best way is in the body of a Word document attached to an email. The best way is written in braille on the body of your girlfriend who brings me a six pack of cold ones in the tower - guaranteed to get you recognition! But, whatever way you do it, please do it.

After I've done my damage, I'd also welcome a candid assessment, especially constructive criticism.

Thanks, and I look forward to seeing you all at the Point.

Tom
    [email protected]

2. rixride

rixride Well-Known Member

Hey Tom,

I will be volunteering in the PITS for Michael Blair and Renard Fiscus Reduc(119X) Wera expert 119.

This is my first time in the pits so I am looking forward to the experience.

I asked a group of Chic's if they would deliver the information you requested on thier bodies to you and this is what they said:

[​IMG]

Looking forward to meeting you guys out there.

-=1Non-Ridin' Biatch!=-

Last edited: Aug 5, 2002
  3. Celtic Racing

Celtic Racing Member

Hey, I said BRAILE, not WRINKLES!!!!

Anyway, there looks to be one yungun in the background.

On the other hand, it's pretty dark at Summit at night, I've got a cooler full of beer, and there's no substitute for experience.

All you endurance racers, be sure to get me your resume. I'll be up at 4:00 am tomorrow to trek on up to the POINT!!!

See you there.

Tom

4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

What a totally gross and sexist post. As a female WERA official, i'm kinda embarassed.

5. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

I agree with Paige. As a WERA offical and also a wife of a racer, also a employee of the WERA office, I feel that that comment was uncalled for an also I feel that you need to have your mouth washed out with liquid soap... To me that was not funny and I would not want you to announce any of the sponsors we have because we might now lose them...:Puke: :Puke: :Puke: :Puke:

6. rixride

rixride Well-Known Member

Well, you asked for it....

;)

7. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

You did a terrific job announcing during the endurance race!! Props to ya !

8. Celtic Racing

Celtic Racing Member

More Feedback, Please . . .

Well, you asked for it....

Yes, I did. Please don't hold back.

In addition to my comment on the BBS, specific comments, good, bad and awful about my announcing, would be appreciated. In particular, I am interested in the following:

1. Would you prefer to hear 1st, 2nd and 3rd calls only?

2. Would you prefer to hear the calls repeated? If so, how many times?

3. Do you welcome reading from riders' resumes?

4. Do you welcome interviews of riders?

5. Do you welcome commercial plugs for vendors at the track?

6. Do you welcome commercial plugs for other vendors, who sponsor racers but are not at the track?

7. Overall, would you describe the number of announcements too much, just right, or too little?

8. Would you support publicity events at the track (e.g., for the Red Cross, or for visiting clubs), or would you rather not be competing for air or track time (parade laps)?

9. What is the single thing you would most like to see the announcer do (please, straight answers only)?

10. What is the single thing that you would most like to see the announcer stop doing?

Please keep in mind that your individual answers will cumulatively impact the balance between quiet time and information overload.

I am aware of some dissatisfaction about the announcing at Summit this past weekend. I am not only attentive to it, I welcome candid, constructive criticism.

I am also aware that some were fine with the announcing.

To be honest with myself, and you, the vast majority of the comments I heard were negative, and that's fine. Good to know these things. Can't give you what you want if I think you are already getting it when you are, in fact, not. Also, I don't want to overreact, so I encourage all of you to comment, through whatever conduit you are comfortable with (here or directly to me or to Sean or Evelyn), because although I am not defensive, I do try to guage the total reaction. Generally, negatives are much more likely to surface than positives. Ultimately, your well considered comments might help me, and they will certainly help bring better announcing to Summit Point, from whatever source it comes.

Finally, I am not trying to rally support. So, I don't want this to turn into a combative thread. It certainly won't with me.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

9. Ryan Nelson

Check your email . . .

10. Umbrella girl #1

Umbrella girl #1 Well-Known Member

IF YOU ARE NOT TRYING TO RALLY SUPPORT, THAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING??????? I am so confused:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

11. Celtic Racing

Celtic Racing Member

This is about determining, as scientifically as possible, what the racing community wants in terms of its announcing services, plain and simple.

It's not about defending myself or starting a flame war. It's also not about inviting my public flogging, or about the style of previous posts. But do what you feel you must.

I'm not saying that I will agree with or be able to incorporate every wish. Even if I try, which I do, actually, they will not be incorporated overnight. Speaking is like riding style - when you're out there, you fall back into old habits, good or bad. But, if I get enough objective input, I can reflect on it in relative calm and see what I can do, if I and the sanctioning bodies choose to continue.

Even if I do not continue, I believe your comments will benefit those who follow. I don't take myself too seriously in this job, although I do take the job very seriously.

Hey, I'm an accountant, information is like food to me. And, if you've met me, you've seen how much I like food. That should explain a lot! :D

Tom

12. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Tom- Nice job on saturday. To be honest, after the race started, I didn't hear anything as we weren't too near any loudspeakers and I was pretty busy. Pre-race, I thought you were very informative and brought a lot of info out. I would say that much of you're commentary was more helpful for a non-racer, or someone whom had never been to the track. As a long time racer, I probably would have taken a little more silence, given a choice. As Paige and Umbrella have already pointed out, watch the off color comments. I'm sure none were made in your commentary, but even on this board, you've really gotta watch your a$$!!(unless you're Brad Wilson):D Other than those two things, I thought you did very well. Commentating is definitely an art form. There is no RIGHT or WRONG way to do it, it's up to the individual to develope their own style. Kudos to you for having the nads to invite criticism (both constructive and the other....) so you can perfect your craft.

Mark Morrow

BTW- Sleeping Booty absolutely ROCKED Greensboro sat. I walked into the place as we were starting our first song and didn't get home until 4:30am!

13. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

The best advice I can give to you is to come to a SE race or track where Mr. Microphone (Jeff Wright) is announcing and take LOTS of notes. We love Mr. Mic and he does a great job at all the races.

I could tell that you received some feedback on Friday because in the SE we're used to it being pretty much quiet except for the practice calls and vendor announcements. Unless there's something to say the mic is quiet.

14. Ryan Nelson

I agree that I really like the way Mr. Microphone does things, but I also liked the way you did things too. It was really beneficial to a lot of the non-racers who accompanied us to the track. I thought you were professional and did a great job. If I was sitting underneath a painful loudspeaker, I would say you talked too much. But since I was in earshot, but where it was not too loud, you did a wonderful job. Some guys like peace and quiet, some dont - you wont every please everyone.

15. AoD Jim

AoD Jim Well-Known Member

Re: More Feedback, Please . . .

1. Would you prefer to hear 1st, 2nd and 3rd calls only?

Personally, I like the way the ama does it. 1st call = 10 min warning, 2nd call = 5 min warning, 3rd call = open track (not waiting for crash truck, track cleanup, or other delay while my bike and I overheat)

Of course most club riders would prefer 20 one minute practice sessions over one 20 minute practice session so the above won't work.

2. Would you prefer to hear the calls repeated? If so, how many times?

twice

3. Do you welcome reading from riders' resumes?

4. Do you welcome interviews of riders?

5. Do you welcome commercial plugs for vendors at the track?

6. Do you welcome commercial plugs for other vendors, who sponsor racers but are not at the track?

All of the above are great on sat or sun. NOT on Friday.

7. Overall, would you describe the number of announcements too much, just right, or too little?

Too much last Friday AM. After it was fine.

8. Would you support publicity events at the track (e.g., for the Red Cross, or for visiting clubs), or would you rather not be competing for air or track time (parade laps)?

I would rather not compete (remember the cars at ccs races?)

9. What is the single thing you would most like to see the announcer do (please, straight answers only)?

Tell us what's next and if something is wrong

10. What is the single thing that you would most like to see the announcer stop doing?

failing to take a breath between announcements ;)

After friday morning I thought you did a fine job.