1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Young Experienced Rider looking for Endurance Ride in '07

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by the "TRAIN" Rech, Oct 17, 2006.

1. the "TRAIN" Rech

the "TRAIN" Rech Well-Known Member

Corey Rech (14....will be 15 in April) just completed his first full year racing with WERA. Corey has been racing for about 5 years now. He started on Minis and was put on a 600 for endurance racing by the late/Great Bob Stanley (From Fasttrax/Nelson Ledges) last year at the age of 13. We decided to contest the light weight classes this year to build his confedence and to get him to as many tracks as possible so he could learn. We were given an FZR 400 that he ran in DSS, DSB, F2 and V6 (Thanks Pete). I don't have his exact figures (Sponsorhouse.com is down right now), but on the low side, out of 25 or so races this year, Corey has over 12 wins and over 17 podiums.

He won the following championships. DSB (WERA GNF), DSS (WERA GNF), V6 (WERA GNF), Light Weight Superbike (AMA Amateur National), DSB (WERA NE Regional), DSB (WERA Mid Atlantic). He took second in DSS NE and Mid Altantaic by 2 points. We missed the first two races becasue our bike wasn't ready, but Corey caught up quick. At the GNF (Road Atlanta), Corey had never been there and on a dyno'd 60hp 400, was doing 43's, which isn't bad for the bike he was on and never seeing that track before.

Corey also has some experieicne on a 600 this year as well. A rider (who is now a close friend) approached us at the last Summit Point race and asked if he would like to take his R6 and run it in a class or two. He was gridded dead last in the A Superstock race and was able to pass a few guys up to 8th place, I believe he was doing 1.20's & 21's at Summit that day on a 600, which was his first time on that bike.

I would like to see if we can get him on an endurance team next year for the experience working with other riders and being exposed to a more established team then what I've been able to give him. If you are interested, I'm willing to get him anywehre he needs to be (willing to travel and wrench). Let me know what it takes. My name is Jeremy Pupillo and I'm his step-dad. You can reach me at: [email protected] (if you don't hear back from me, it's because of my spam blocker), so you can also call me at: 315-638-5529 (day time) or 315-622-9583 (after 6pm and weekends).

I look foward to hearing from some of you. If you've seen Corey ride this year, please feel free to comment on what you've seen.

Best Regards,
    Jeremy Pupillo.

2. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

That is very cool. Best of luck to Corey!!

3. Motomeister13

Motomeister13 Well-Known Member

To anyone considering him on their team:

Corey is an absolutely great kid. He has a superior attitude, and a motivation to ride and WIN that never wavers. He learns tracks quickly, and sheds seconds every time he goes out. Kind of like us older guys shed tenths.

He would be an asset to any team.

Rich

4. vcr12 pit crew

vcr12 pit crew Well-Known Member

Good luck buddy! hope you find a ride!

5. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

Corey, good luck in you venture to find a race home. Just from the post your dad wrote, you are one lucky kid to have a father such as you have. Do not loose sight of what he is doing for you and the sacrifices he is making.

Good Luck

6. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

I was in a lot of the same races as Corey this year and had a chance to watch him develop both as a rider and as a young adult. I had many opportunities to watch him work the track in front of me, and I was very impressed with his ability to make the bike work and--even more important in my book, particularly for an endurance rider--his ability to set up and make good passes. He's great to be around, soaks up info like a sponge and has unlimited energy.

And Corey would WELCOME team orders :clap:

If you want the great experience of mentoring a talented young rider, you would do well to pick up Corey.

And I'm not just saying this because he spotted me 40 points at the beginning of the season!

Kurt Kearcher

7. the "TRAIN" Rech

Thanks for all of the kind words. Here is a link to Corey's Sponsorhouse.com resume. It's not totally up to date because they are going through some upgrades, but it's pretty close. I just need to put his GNF results on there.

http://sponsorhouse.com/members/jpupillo

8. Sunny

Sunny Banned

Someone hook this kid up! He's definitely one of the future bright stars we have!

Jeremy, too bad you guys are not located in NC region, otherwise I would love to start a LWT endurance team with you guy (I too have only done sprint racing)!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  9. the "TRAIN" Rech

Thanks Sonny.....Corey will always consider himself a memeber of the Shocker crew even though he's a NE rider....:moon: We'll have to get someone to send us some more shocker stickers for Corey's new sprint bike for next year. We can't get his old one off of his 400.

10. Sunny

Sunny Banned

I'll ask JB/racer45 for some and bring them to you (we'll definitely meet for the Nelson rounds like this year). :up:

11. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Good luck! Endurance is a ton of fun (and cheaper on a per lap basis if the equipment holds together), but will cost ya more than a year of sprint racing. Very fun stuff though and it will improve his riding. He'd really benefit running with an experienced team, but it might be a hard since he's coming off a novice year on a 400. Good luck though! He'd really benefit on a 600 in endurance with some more experienced guys.

He'll get faster regardless next year when he's running with the experts - get him the hell out of the D class though :D

If you dont get a full time endurance thing worked out at least try to do a couple rounds with some friends - its worth his time to be able to follow and watch guys on-track that are faster.

From what I saw of him at Mid-Ohio, he's a really smooth rider and could have a good future out there if he keeps getting faster on bigger bikes.

BTW - the V6LW championship was won by Borg Larsen. Vintage is not winner take all at the GNF.

12. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

Oh - if you end up looking at putting together your own team the best way to do it IMO is to have 3 guys all equally in together. All 3 own the bike, all 3 split all costs 3 ways, including sponsorship, crash damage, etc. It allows the team to be a team and not bicker over the finances.

13. the "TRAIN" Rech

Thanks Ryan.....I found out the V6LW thing after the fact, so I appologize to Borg for that...I didn't mean to take anything away from him. We had to leave after our races on Thurs., so I wasn't quite sure how that worked.

We at least figured that putting Corey on a 600 in the expert classes was the best thing for him next year, so he could learn more. He always ran better when out there with faster guys. Thanks for the advice and the help with the Pre-GNF notes::beer:

14. the "TRAIN" Rech

I have another racer who has stepped up to offer his 40' motorhome and 30' double decker trailer to a team if we can put one together to help Corey out. Not only that, but who ever is able to step up, he will have the Motorhome and trailer all done up in a company or teams graphics.

He already goes to all of the events and he got this bigger trailer so he could carry as many bikes or equipment as one would like. He is a great guy....Thanks Rich:up: