1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yo Beeb, Grass seed, and Pre-emergent fertilizer- Go!

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Mar 29, 2020.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I've read that the seed should go down in the Fall - which I did. But I want to do some on some bare spots in Spring too! It's Kentucky Blue Grass- not St Augustine. Up here near Brewaukee.
    Yes/No?

Also, I put down the pre-emergent every year. But when exactly?
    I've read something ab out when the ground temp hits 60F for at least 5 days, blah blah blah.
    Ain't got no 'mometer in the ground. Some say April? May? There are charts- I think?
    So, those all knowing beebsters- when, in SW Brewaukee to I put down the pre-emergent to
    cut down on the weeds and crappy grasses?
    And do you recommend anything else for the weeds, other than pulling them by hand? Which I do, and I hate doing.

Go.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Do NOT put out pre-emergent with seed or as seed is rooting and growing.

You'll want to put out PE in the fall and over the winter months. Right now is to late, weeds have already set in.

DmanSlam likes this.
  3. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

if you have seed in, and it hasnt sprouted, the pre-emergent will kill almost all of it. pass your pre-emergent this year. fertilize early (lightly so you dont burn, kill the new seed growth). spray for weed control mid season. fertilize and over seed again late season (not too late, you want the new seed to spout and take hold before winter). next spring pre-emergent control, and then start a normal treatment cycle. Ski

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what a pre-emergent is, but my daughters boyfriend works for Scott's and has hooked me up with a seed and a separate bag which is supposed to be put down with the seed. It's a fertilizer and weed killer that works with the new seed you put down.

And I've always heard you should put new seed down in either spring or fall.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Total Turf

6. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

You're the first I"ve heard that think it is already too late for PE. We'll probably get another snow fall yet! Last mid April- 6" in one night!
    Never heard of it too late before it starts to warm up?

I had to read that twice to get what you posted. Sounds like a good plan.

Is this a product? I already have a nice lawn.

7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Have you ridden your GSXR through your yard yet?

8. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

When I have to go around a car in my driveway, yes. Not quite the same as being forced off into a ditch and cornfield ~90+ mph though.

9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Round up.

10. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Nah. It's the guy who treats my lawn.

11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I bet the wife thought it was more like 4" :Poke:

K51000 and StaccatoFan like this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I'm in SC....consistently in the 80+ temps already.

K51000 likes this.