1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another bike towing question

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Jun 30, 2017.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

So, after getting hurt I sold off my VW Eurovan that faithfully carried my race bikes for over 10 years. I now have a fairly new Mazda6. I don't want to buy a different vehicle and I may just rent an open U-Haul trailer for the few times I will need to transport my bike. I have no desire to buy a small open trailer due to limited storage space and I don't want to rent space anywhere. One thought I had is the product I linked below. If I were to use it, I would get an extra rear wheel to put on the bike with a street tire mounted and the chain zip tied off the rear sprocket. What sayeth the beeb. Yes or no on this type of bike transport. My bike only weighs about 350 lbs wet.

https://theusatrailerstore.com/the-original-slick-wheelie-motorcycle-hauler/

If that's a no go, then I'm thinking about this instead. Stores away fairly small.
    https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

2nd option imo. How limited is the space, single kendon too big?

rk97 and roy826ex like this.
  3. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Go with the single trailer. I don't like the idea of putting additional wear on the rear tire by that first item. As well as it spinning the transmission in neutral the entire time. Plus, if you bin it the single trailer will be far easier to manage the bike home then the other contraption.

4. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I'd install a spare wheel with street tire on the back and leave the chain off.

5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

The Ace single trailer folds down to 55" x 21" That's pretty compact and I could store it in my garage if I needed to but I'm pretty OCD about my garage and like having extra space to move around in.

GrayGhost likes this.
  6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Hard to beat a Kendon. Max horizontal space they use up against a wall is 23". I love my dual, it looks funny as hell behind a 3/4 ton Duramax but what the hell it gets the job done. Only downside is I can't back it up though lol I have to unhook and move the trailer off the truck if it's not loaded. I just can't see it back there is my problem with it. I know real world problems.

50Joe likes this.
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Uhaul trailers are 2x as heavy as just about anything else out there. Find a better solution.

rk97 likes this.
  8. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Joe it takes up next to no space when vertical.

[​IMG]

BigBird and 50Joe like this.
  9. I've got a 6x10 open trailer I bought last year. Take that and my Jeep to tow it with.

50Joe likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The rear wheel on the ground thing will put a good amount of weight on the back of the car. Add a trunk full of gear and that could be an issue.

rk97 and 50Joe like this.
  11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Folding trailer is the answer.

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yea, not really liking the rear wheel on the ground thing. Maybe for a 10 mile trip to the dealer but a couple hundred of miles away from home doesn't seem like a good idea.

rk97 likes this.
  13. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Or airbag suspension on your Mazda 6

14. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I gotta have hand controls and I like the comforts of my Mazda6. That little Ace trailer has got some very good reviews. I know Kendon trailers have a great reputation but they are also more than 2x the cost of the Ace. Also, the Ace only weighs 300 lbs. Bike is about 350 lbs so towing only 650 lbs would be easy peasy.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

HF folding trailers can be found for 300 on Craigslist all day long.

50Joe likes this.
  16. I should know that :) I'm not sure if rigging up two sticks zip tied to the pedals and your elbows would be safe in the Jeep. Little ace trailer will be good, 5x8 should be plenty and easy to tow.

50Joe likes this.
  17. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

That folding HF trailer has an amazing number of good reviews on-line considering the price. Just might have to go this route. I only expect to tow my bike maybe 3 to 6 times per year. Probably for a grand total of 1000 miles per year too. Thanks for the tip.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've heard of other paras doing some crazy driving techniques. In this lawsuit happy world, I'll stick with proper hand controls. :)

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

20. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Get the Harbor Freight. A buddy has a ton of miles on one with no issues.

50Joe likes this.