1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yes, Justice Scalia, you were wrong

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ton, Sep 3, 2014.

1. ton

ton Arf!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/03/u...freed-after-dna-tests.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

"It looks even better next to some of the other cases currently before us which Justice Blackmun did not select as the vehicle for his announcement that the death penalty is always unconstitutional — for example, the case of the 11-year old girl raped by four men and then killed by stuffing her panties down her throat. How enviable a quiet death by lethal injection compared with that!"

– Justice Antonin Scalia in Callins v. Collins, 510 U.S. 1141 (1994)

2. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

I hope those two dudes get paid and get paid a lot!
    This is one of the reasons why I do not believe in the death penalty. As the State, you are 100 percent efficient at killing the dude, but you are not 100 percent efficient at getting the right guy.

3. R Acree

R Acree Banned

:stupid: on the first statement and am rapidly becoming a convert on the second.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Just wait. Somebody's going to post that people getting freed from death row is proof that the system works and that no innocent person has ever been executed.

Where's Jay?

5. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Somewhere in TN, at least he was prior to last Thursday's USC game.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:D

8. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

most likely out finding some rap sheets of similar named dudes to prove how guilty these dudes are. :D

9. jase

jase Your kind makes me sick!!

Amazing!!

"Joe Freeman Britt, the original prosecutor, told The News & Observer last week that he still believed the men were guilty."

10. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

A similar rush to judgement happened in my town in 1983. We all wanted to believe the boogey man was caught. Turns out he wasn't. Darryl Hunt is free now and walks among us. It'll forever be strange to me. Part of me cannot accept that he is innocent.

Turns out the real killer was a serial rapist and had attempted to murder a couple of his victims. He was worse than the devil we thought we'd caught. I can't describe how this revelation hit our city.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  11. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Joe Britt is a death loving idiot. He will watch anybody get the needle.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Damn, you're not going to let that one go, are you? :D
    I was referring to previous statements made on this topic. Not to the Ferguson debate.

You expect him to admit he was wrong? That means living with what he's done. Prosecutors don't seem to like that much.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It would require an admission of being more than just wrong. He effectively took most of their lives.

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That's what I meant by having to live with what he's done.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Sorry. I was overcome by righteous indignation. :D

16. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Thankfully a small part of your statement is wrong or these guys would be dead. Otherwise spot on and there is no possible way to return what we took from them. Hopefully they get a cushy life for what is left.

17. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Oh shit! Acree is going to riot.

Riot marches will promptly start at the old folks' home at 10 AM. and end in front of the golden coral at 3, in time for the early bird special.

Betty white will play AL Sharpton.

18. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

they were not put on the chair/table yet.
    I meant that you cannot attempt to kill them, once they are on the chair, they are gone. it isnt like attempted murder.

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just curious where you pulled that quote from, I didn't see it in the article.
    It looks as though you are implying Scalia had something to do with these two being convicted.

20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My riots are more akin to a hissy fit.