1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeah, Bill Maher gets it

Discussion in 'General' started by Past Glory, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

On last night's (7/12) show, Mike Rowe of 'Dirty Jobs' was one of the guests, invited on to talk about the lack of qualified people available to fill a glut of jobs in the trade industries. He related his own Guidance Counciler experience from high school of being shown a poster featuring an executive type and a mechanic and the caption that read "Work smart, not hard", the point being that a trade profession was a sub-level position. Somewhere along the way, America began to view those who worked with their hands as not quite up to the same level as those who pushed paper while wearing a suit.
    For all the jokes people may make about a tradesman, when they need one, they realize their importance. One may make jokes about plumbers, but when their toilet stops functioning, who's your bestest friend in the whole wide world? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

How much do you charge to install a water heater?

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

My tool box

4. ton

ton Arf!

this one's not going to be around long.

counselor

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I can see massive casualties already. And six months for the OP.

6. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I would love to see more good, solid apprenticeship programs in this country. A kid with natural mechanical aptitude but no desire for "book learning" is kind of in limbo because of the emphasis on high school graduation. (Not meant to be a political statement)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Hmmmm...odd. The first thing I reach for when the toilet is clogged is a plunger...not a plumber.

8. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

:Pop:

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I saw the thread and the author and thought to myself "that boy ain't hittin on all cylinders". :cool:

10. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

I didn't see anywhere in the beeb by laws that when the dungeon gets nuked we can tread on dungeon material in the general section. Must have missed that one...

11. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This is suicide by Mod.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And people wonder why I think they're idjits some days :D

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Know why I have a plunger permit?

`cause a plumber is to heavy to carry around...

:D

14. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

Shouldn't his thread be titled: "Yeah, Mike Rowe gets it"?

And, aside from the fact that Bill Maher is a political commentator, how is this thread "Dungeon material"?

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

+1

But I got pizza.:)

16. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

If one sticks to the actual subject matter, the value of the trade professions and the lack of skilled trades workers available for the many open jobs, then what could possibly be the problem?

Unless one can't discuss such without going on a tirade about how much they hate Bill Maher. That's where the discussion took place, if that's a problem for anyone, that's a pretty weak problem.

"counselor", thanks for the correction.

17. Venom51

I have an alternate plan that involves a neighbors house should that fail to work. :D

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Has anyone been banned yet?

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pew pew pew.

20. Venom51

You make that noise when ever a pebble hits the bowl don't you?