1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamamonster Assistance

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by OWO1, Jan 28, 2021.

1. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

View attachment 180709 View attachment 180709 View attachment 180709 View attachment 180709 Beeb,

Beeb,
    I have been very fortunate to acquire the #2 FUSA winning Yamamonster from a fellow enthusiast. I am looking to restore it to as close to 1998 FUSA winning condition as ridden by Fritz and Barnes. I have a lot of the history of the bike post 2012, but there is a gap from 1999 until then. At some point the original Fox Shock was replaced by Ohlins as well as the decals on the bike. The original front wheel and rotors were changed. Anybody know who worked on the bike and updated it? Would love to find the original shock and parts.
    Beasley has original bodywork, I have the original decal maker in PA recreating a set, Dave Schlosser of Dutchman Racing is looking into his spares, Jamie James has specs for the recent motor rebuild. Just hoping someone can fill in the gaps and help in getting back to original condition.

Cheers,

Jason B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Maybe you should contact Hippie, I think he may have some info?

3. joec

joec brace yourself

Sex on wheels.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had odds and ends from Dutchman way back but all that shit is long gone.

Better be ready for how loud that thing in gonna be. :D

Cool that you are looking for the shock and wheel set up but the Fox shock really wasn't all that great.

5. TZRusty

TZRusty Well-Known Member

I have a low level Yamamonster. It has a Fox twin clicker. I would trade for the Ohlin.. Call 570 500-2684

6. tzrboy

tzrboy Working hard to play harder!

....need...to.....see....this....beast.....on track.... again

that is all.

Congrats and jealous!

RRP likes this.
  7. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

I honestly was surprised he let it go! Beautiful bike with alot of one and done part's.
    I got to look it over and slobber on it when Jamie delivered it at Road Atlanta.
    Congratulations!

8. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Beeb,

Are Ohlins better than Fox Shox...? That is a serious 90's racing debate. I never doubted it, but I wish those that know why would elaborate.

TZRusty may take you up on the offer, I'm more about originality than the status quo. Can you send pics?

Thanks Toofpic, just spending my years trying to make things right.

JB

ToofPic likes this.
  9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The Fox was good for it's time but the Ohlins was just better IMHO. Easier to get a base set up and dial in with the Ohlins.

I used Fox a lot way back in the day and it was much better then stock.

10. TZRusty

The bike while I've owned it ws only raced twice. The fox shock worked fine. I only want the Ohlins because Mike Himmelsbach services my suspension units.

11. JME61

JME61 New Member

Hippie or Steve Libatore.

12. OWO1

OWO1 Well-Known Member

Steve Libatore, that name rings a bell, did he work for Yamaha?

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

ALl I can say is it would be awesome to see it at one of the AMA rounds where they bring out the classic superbikes.

tbarker, evakat and RRP like this.
  14. TZRusty

The AMA has the Hertige cup exhibition laps. No real class structure or actual race.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

16. ricracer16

ricracer16 Well-Known Member

Give Steve Long at SpeedWerks a call. He has something like this at his shop right now.

17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Mike Burns may know....

18. ToofPic

That's where he got it

19. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I thought Mike was gonna keep that one

20. ToofPic

Lol,me too! He definitely loved it!