1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha R6 Sensor Voltage?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rightsizing300, Apr 5, 2020.

1. What is the power voltage for the various sensors for a 2008+ R6? I think I might be misunderstanding something critical.

I thought I could power a quickshifter off the same power wire as the bike's gear indicator. The gear indicator info says it uses 12V power and it has a harness that plugs into the speed sensor connector.

However, when I just turn on the electronics (motor off), this wire is reading 6V difference to battery ground. The wiring schematic shows the wire originating from the ECU's VCC1 output. This just doesn't make sense to me, as my understanding was that the 3 wire powered sensors are 12V powered.

Before I try installing the gas tank and putting it back together to start the bike and see if the VCC1 output changes to 12V, does anyone here know what is going on?

2. Shuma-gorath

Shuma-gorath Well-Known Member

Vcc1 should be 5v. The sensors are run off of 5v not 12v

Rightsizing300 and dudutzu like this.
  3. Thanks, Shuma-gorath. Found a different spot to tap into the main 12V switched power. Now this just intrigues me more about the gear indicator, which is only powered off the 5V through a plug and play harness but the universal instructions say to use a 12V.

4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Supply voltage is 12v. The sensor return signal is 5v. The sensor will return various fractions of 5v depending on gear position.

5. So that was my original understanding, which is what confuses me. The 3 wire speed sensor is connector is L/W/BL matching O-R/P/BW. BL is Ground (SGND1), W should be the return signal (going to SP on the ECU), and L should be the supply voltage. L is also where the PZRacing gear indicator is connected for power. However, putting the multimeter across L (with only power on, no engine because no fuel tank) and battery ground gets an ~6V reading.

This is academic and just for my understanding at this point, as I've soldered my quickshifter lead to another part of the harness that is definitely 12V.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

And 6v is okay, just as 13.4v is okay for battery voltage.