1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha R3 - Whats your set up for this bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fassina4, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Fassina4

Fassina4 needing some sleep

Who has been rocking the R3 on the track? Id love to hear about set ups for this bike. I honestly cant find much chatter about it other than the Graves version.

Who here is racing one?

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

crickets.....

I find it amusing that there's $900 fork cartridge kits available but I can't find listings for just a stiffer set of springs.
    I'll be building mine on the cheap... can't see spending more on bolt ons than the MSRP of the bike (easy to do in this case). The R3 forum is no help, seems the only experienced, knowledgeable people there are trying to sell stuff to the newbs. You really think nobody has figured out which cheap shock can be swapped over???

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not many people running them yet so a lack of info isn't surprising. Someone has to try cheap things first and it may just be you on this bike :D

4. Tristan

I prefer "frugal"... This will be the 2nd new bike I've purchased to race- the first was an SV in 2001. I had to apply penetrating oil to my wallet in order to pry it open.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Frugal works too :D I see nothing wrong with being cheap. Either way someone has to do the legwork on the frugal upgrades and this time it may just need to be you.

6. Fassina4

Ill probably try and stay on the cheaper side of things as well. Hard Racing and Spears Enterprise are really the only two places online I have found decent stuff for the R3. Ill keep searching for forums for decent info. There were some folks with R3's at the Jennings endurance race. I wish I could have gone to see what was working for those fellas.

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This.

Do you guys have measurements, bolt patterns, attachment points, etc for the stock bits so we can check to see what parts may crossover from other bikes?

8. jkraft

jkraft Well-Known Member

Cannon Racecraft Inc.
    201 E Hill
    Oklahoma City, OK 73105
    405-524-7223

They can make any spring you want.

9. Tristan

Thanks Joe. I'm sure Yamaha pulled these 41mm forks from the old parts bin and the right springs are readily available, it's just that nobody has them listed yet.

10. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Zoran has cartridge fork kits for them and not that pricey.

Dragginass likes this.
  11. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

I keep threatening to get one if I ever feel ready to retire the FZR's,which im not ready to do yet. Sorbo said on this forum that he had some stuff figured out with them,so hopefully he could chime in soon. He can do your front suspension work for extremely reasonable from the quote he gave on here.

12. Capitalview

Capitalview Well-Known Member

Most of us early adopters have not tried and shock swaps since we used aftermarket shocks.

I had my forks done by Forks by Matt. He does, pretty much the same thing as Zorans cartridge kit.

I know the SV front end will slide right into the R3s triples. I used my SVs woodcraft clip-ons on my R3 also. They won't work with the standard R3 bodywork though.

If you have a habit of putting your butt towards the back of the bike, and you are 200lbs like me, you will need to change your riding style to get more weight on the front end.

Not sure what you are looking for though. I am running stock fork height with heavier springs. I believe they are Sonic springs.

There is hood info on yamahar3racing.Com

He has reviews/comparisons on the stock forks, emulators, and then cartridges.

If you want I can go get the shock length I have set on my R3 if you want. I raised it a bit to get some more weight on the front since it was pushing through the carousel at Blackhawk Farms. I am running a Penske shock though.

I only have one weekend on the bike though so I am still in the setup process.

If you do have questions, or want pics just pm me. If I can answer them I will.

Stirz likes this.
  13. kpracingmax

kpracingmax Well-Known Member

14. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

There was only 1 R3 at the JGP Endurance Race that I'm aware of. Our team. :)

Wasn't my bike, so don't know all the details....I just rode it. I'll reach out to the owner for the info.

15. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

The bike that won JGP endurance had race tech emulators and springs and a jri street fighter shock. I should have the build notes at my shop. Let me check.

16. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Forks are same basic as 1st gen sv so any spring that fits sv will fit R3. R3 forks are longer than sv forks. Fork caps and bottom bolts are same on both.
    Shock is 275mm stock and 900# spring. I did set up Penske for this bike longer than stock to start with and stiffer.

17. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Which cheap shock will be better than cheap shock that is already on :)
    I think you limited to bikes without linkage and eye clevis on bottom. Short shock, short stroke and stiff spring. Try ninja 650 shock, at least it is longer for some ride height.

18. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

Currently running Ohlins YA 467 rear, and spring/emulator front. Plan to upgrade to NIX22 front later this spring when they are available. Andreani makea a drop-in cartridge system that some other R3 guys seem to like as well. Price point for either Ohlins or Andreani cartridge about $6-700. Traxxion Dynamics and others offer spring upgrades - emulator/spring ran about $300 as I recall. I'm at about 200 in gear and the bike was in serious need of fork spring upgrade as delivered. Spears racing offers a double adjustable rear as mentioned.

The other mod that seem to be gaining favor is the 415 chain (rather than 520) - drops 2 lbs rotating mass.

I can tell you that you can easily drop 80 lbs off the stock bike, but you'll add about 35 lb for your race bits (bodywork, pipes/can, rearsets, clip-ons, battery). Had a discussion with Dunlop guy at T-hill this past weekend. He was talking about running 120 fronts on the rear and 90's for the front - apparently this is being used by some OMRRA guys - I haven't looked into this yet as the 110/140 set-up I'm running seems to work out fine.

"Most of us early adopters have not tried and shock swaps since we used aftermarket shocks." - info on other adjustable shock options (ie; on the cheap) is appreciated - Cap and I will pass on to the other forum.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  19. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Figured I would post this here as well:

At the moment I own both an RC390 and R3 (I won't get into it). I built and had them tuned the same way, at the same shop, by the same guy. Here's the official results after a proper tune.

KTM is up 5 horsepower and 6ft/lb torque

2015 RC390 (non cup bike):
    Full Akra (with baffle in)
    PCV + custom tuned map
    Emissions removed
    Aluminum rear sprocket, stock 520 pitch
    Stock airbox, air filter, and air intake snorkel
    Chad's gasket kit
    91 Octane pump fuel

2016 R3:
    Full Akra (with baffle in)
    PCV + custom tuned map
    Emissions removed
    Stock sprockets and 520 pitch
    Stock airbox, air filter, and air intake snorkel
    91 Octane pump fuel

Red = KTM, Blue = R3

[​IMG]

20. Fassina4

Thought I was chime back in after a few mods.... I added

Ohlin Cartridges
    Ohlin Shock
    Akra Full Exhaust
    Speigler brake lines
    PCV - Still need to get it tuned. It needs it.
    Evo Front and Power 3 Rear - Stuck like glue so far.
    Ohlins Steering Damper
    Driven Relocation block for Rearsets
    Armor Bodies plastics - Kinda of a PITA to fit, at least the tail section.
    Gearing
    few other doodads....

its a different bike now. It freaking rails! Happy with the bike now, love the set up.