1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha paint matching - PPG code

Discussion in 'General' started by aweather, Oct 8, 2005.

1. aweather

aweather Well-Known Member

Here's a long shot... I'm hoping to get a PPG code that will match my red 05 R6. I gave the paint shop the yamaha code but they weren't able to do anything with that. They said if they had a PPG code they could mix it up for me. If you guys have any leads for me that would be great.

TIA
    Alex

2. WERA49

WERA49 Well-Known Member

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I believe your bike's color is known as Vivid Red Cocktail. Secondary color is Black Metallic X.

Go to www.color-rite.com if you want to order an exact match from them; I tried to locate a matching PPG code but was out of luck; sorry. If you find a resource that can tell you this, I'd like to know it as well.

4. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

If you want PPG paint go to a PPG dealer with the part you want to copy and they have a machine that will "read" the color and give the paint guy the mix for it. I wasn't all that impressed with color-rite for Suzuki yellow. But maybe I just did it wrong.

5. WERA49

WERA49 Well-Known Member

Rick, what don't you like about my link? They're the same! :) :Poke:

6. aweather

Yes I was going to do this but they told me it would take a couple days and that it didn't do the metallic paint all that well. I'm of course trying to paint this thing before a race next weekend so time is a premium. I figured you guys have done similar things before and possibly might know how to get (or have) the PPG codes.

Thanks for the replies!

7. jeffzx9

jeffzx9 Well-Known Member

That will not work. It is a 3 stage paint and the photospectrometer will get even close to a match.I have spent hours and made that red for a Yamaha I had,but it took entirely too long and too much paint . Call color-rite. That is your best option.

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Be prepared for a high price, though.

9. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

Yep, you're right. the machine just gets close.
    That 3 step color-rite is a PITA. That's why I just painted everything the next time around :D

10. aweather

That's what I'm leaning towards now, painting everything. I just figured I would try to match it if it was easy to do... Thanks for all the help/advice guys!

Alex

11. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

I let the paint shop scan my tank for Yamaha blue with their machine. The result matches up to an International Navistar paint code. I decided what the heck and bought it. It ended up being a very close match. I painted all the fairings, and when they went on the bike you couldn;t tell any noticeable difference between the fairings and the original blue Yamaha tank. For the price I think it's worth letting them scan and just getting a close match like I did. Realistically, you're painting a racebike that's eventualy going to get crashed, not a showcar. As long as it's pretty close nobody is going to notice I don't think. On a side note, my bike hit the ground at Road Atlanta T7 2 weeks after I painted it. I didn't even worry about it. Of course, I wiped out at about 120 mph at Tally in August, and my fairings are destroyed from that, so I guess I'll be painting again before I get back on the track.

12. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

For single colors, it works great. For multi-layer (metal flake, pearl, etc), it doesn't.

Our painter can get close trying to match multi-layer colors (through experience and using his photospectrometer), but it's far from perfect.

Also, the fact that variences in the original painting process as well as normal exposure to the sun/elements makes it so that even if you go the color-rite route you may not end up with a perfect match. Hell, Sometimes when you buy a new panel from the factory the color is slightly off from what you already have.

- Roach

13. PainterDude

PainterDude Member

don't waste your money

The motorcycle companies do not release formulas in the US...Color Right will not match, & probably outright lie about information about color...In my proffesional opinion...However in Europe they do realease the color information, I have some of these formulas ,your red included but for Dupont only....If you are not too stuck on PPG I would reccomend looking for a Spies Heckor paint distributor in your area...Spies has all the european codes & motorcycle color formulas availabe in the US...They can mix your color & get the best match possible...Unlike Color Wrong... Any ?'s feel free to ask..john www.finishingtouch4u.com or [email protected]

14. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!

15. Hurricane

Hurricane Active Member

painter dude - whats the dupont code for that red?

16. Big Deezul

Big Deezul Gossamer has MOJO!!!