1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha 210 FSH boat. ???

Discussion in 'General' started by Bugslayer, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Bugslayer

Bugslayer Well-Known Member

So the wake board thread got my attention. I have a place in Baja on the sea of Cortez side. Been looking to add a boat to the toys for down there. The new Yamaha 210 FSH looks like a good fit for what I'd do with it.
    Not being a boat guy, I could be way wrong on that.
    Is a jet boat the right option for open water? It's the sea of Cortez, so it can get pretty lively.
    Is salt water a bad thing for these?
    Any input would be helpful.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t put any hobby-based, inboard-powered watercraft in salt water.

4. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Agree and disagree.
    If you plan on leaving it in the water than NO, if you plan on taking it out of water after you done using it flush engines with fresh water for few minutes and also rinse outside of the boat than hell YES

ducnut likes this.
  5. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

It’s not that big of a deal if you have a winch system to get it out of the water when you’re not using it and can rinse the salt water off. My brother lives on Galveston Bay in Houston and has no issues doing this.

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

You and I both know most will slack on that.

My brother has had a series of boats and the rule was no one left the boat without a towel in hand to help wipe it down. We’re fresh water, so salt was a non-issue.

Newsshooter likes this.
  7. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Lol, I total agree with you on first sentance.
    I'm on brackish water Chesapeake bay and my boat gets good 10-15 min engine flushing and complete in and out cleaning immediately after use.

ducnut likes this.
  8. Bugslayer

Thanks for the info. I've read most (probably all, lol) of the online reviews. I'm hoping to find some real life owners with raves and rants.
    Does your brother have the Yamaha or are you talking in general?
    Here's a shot from my porch, so as you can see, I will have the option of mooring out off the beach and paddling in and out with a skiff or raft. There is also a ramp close by, so I will be able to take it in and out easily.
    0528190835-HDR.jpg

K51000 and ducnut like this.
  9. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Mulegé?

10. Bugslayer

Good eye....just north by by 10 miles or so. Punta Chivato.

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

What does that translate to? Rat's tail?

12. Bugslayer

I've seen "sneak point" or some such thing. Haven't seen any rats, snakes and scorpions, now that's another story!

13. What do you plan on doing with it? For that $ I’d personally go with a center console that will handle big water better. Single outboard obviously. Do you see any other jet boats around? I’d be willing to bet not a lot if any. They are fun in small lakes, especially shallow water but too much of a pain for salt water to start. Get a boat made to handle salt, not just band aided to handle salt.

14. That wasn’t the one I was thinking about. That thing is pretty slick but performance wise it’s nothing special and with any big water I’d want the ability to trim.

Bugslayer likes this.
  15. Bugslayer

Yeah, I'm hung up on the "pretty slick" part myself. I was replying to your first post and saw you second one before I did. But, it still makes me question about the opinion that this is not a salt water boat. Again, I am no boat guy, that's why I'm asking. All the mechanical running gear that goes in the water is Stainless steel or coated aluminium, much like an outboard, so why is the outboard better? Thoughts?
    Money wise, I would need to go older to stay in the same price range for a 21 foot center console., from what I've researched.

16. I retract my statement as I thought it was a different boat.

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The boat usually doesn’t cause the issues; it’s the powertrain. The boat you’re looking at has two engines mounted inboard. When you have issues, that’s going to be a pain to deal with. Salt usually works from the inside and the corrosion is going to force replacement of a variety of items, engine-related, if not the whole engine. I don’t know what replacements and labor costs look like for the Yamaha, but, they’re certainly not going to be cheap, since they're specialized/proprietary engines and drives. It’s a whole lot easier to continue ownership of an existing outboard boat and simply hang a new unit on the transom, when the time comes. Plus, your common boats are built with industry-standard components (steering, fixtures, gauges, etc) any shop can get.

Tons of outboard, CC boats in that length range, for reasonable money, on Boat Trader. I wouldn’t be afraid to buy an older, dry-stored, premium boat. I know in FL, there are countless offerings with maybe 100-200 hours on them, for reasonable money, that have spent their existence racked. Plus, dry storage facilities, many times, have listings of boats on offer they have stored in their racks.

I’d seek advice from dealers that offer offshore, fishing vessels. They can get you up to speed on necessities and may have something appropriate. Also, many dealers offer brokerage services and have way more on offer than just what’s on their lot.

Lastly, I’m no expert. I’ve just been around it and tried to pick up on the important stuff. Having wintered in FL, a few years, and looked into boat ownership, I gained quite a bit of salt water advice. And, having worked in the powersports industry and sold jet skis, I’ve learned a bit there, as well.

Bugslayer likes this.
  18. This. I stumbled across an alum bass boat I wasn’t really looking for recently. It’s an 06 that had 59 hours on it. The guy stored it in his barn, dealership picked it up for service annually wether it needed it or not. Got it for a steal with plans to use it a bit and sell it but now I think I’ll keep it for a boat for places I don’t like to take my other one. Fun boat, comfortable just 38mph you can’t cover a lot of water vs the 79 on my other one.
    Just remember, there’s a good reason salt water boats are 95% outboards.

ducnut likes this.
  19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Years ago, I rented a pontoon boat, on Center Hill Lake, Tennessee. It was considerably less money than the V-bottom they had available, so I took it, figuring it’d still be a good time. Man, was I wrong. I get out of the marina, slam the throttle forward to get some wind in my hair, and nothing. I’m like “WTF?!”. I walk to the back for a look and there hung a 25hp motor on the back of a 24’ pontoon, for a 12mph top speed. Unbelievable.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Whaler with an outboard, doesn't get much better, two engines if you want to go offshore.

ducnut and Bugslayer like this.