1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XTracing GPX on older SV650

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kevin E., Dec 7, 2020.

1. Kevin E.

Kevin E. Well-Known Member

Can anyone help me with how to connect my GPX Pro to disply throttle position? I have identified the wires on the wiring diagram., it shows 3 wires. Which of those 3 would I connect? And I am confused about how to attach the 3 wires to the gpx, which only uses one wire per piece of info being collected.

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Bike needs a TPS or you have to add an additional sensor, if it does have a TPS then you want the signal wire, the other should be reference voltage and gnd.

Kevin E. likes this.
  3. sharky nrk

Probably need at least the year model of the SV.

Kevin E. likes this.
  4. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Correct you need to wire into the TPS. One of the wires is the signal wire which is what you tap into with the GPX sensor. Use a multimeter and test which wire changes voltage as the throttle is moved.

I forgot which wire it is, been a few years but should be easy to figure out

Kevin E. likes this.
  5. Kevin E.

It is an 03 chassis with an 05 motor so, it is fuel injected. I found the TPS on a wiring diagram.

6. Kevin E.

Thanks so much! I think I can figure that out... Maybe? LOL

7. sharky nrk

most likely the pink and white middle wire

Kevin E. likes this.
  8. Kevin E.

That was my first choice, will try it later today. Thanks again!

9. Kevin E.

So, I checked for this wire and the bike has a motion pro throttle, and I can't find the P/W wire and ideas where the the TPS is actually located on the bike or does anyone have a picture of what it might look like?

10. Dave_SV

Need to know what year bike you have. The sensor itself is located on the throttle bodies, on the attached pic the red arrow is pointing to the TPS 000000246471-6-big.jpg

Edit - just saw you have an 05 so the pic should be the same as your model.

2nd edit - there is no pink/white wire, the TPS will have a blue, yellow and black wire. Pretty sure the yellow wire is the signal wire but you should verify. This is a good link for a race harness diagram: https://lwtracer.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/2nd-Gen-SV-Race-Harness-STAGE1.2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Kevin E. likes this.
  11. Kevin E.

Dave, thanks for the info.

Does each throttle body have a sensor, or do I just connect to one of them?

As far as the harness goes, it is a complete harness, and I would love to trim it down, but I am afraid of messing it up. Also, don't really want to pull the harness off the bike, that freaks me out too! I am not very good at working on things like this.

12. Dave_SV

It's just the one sensor.

Understood on paring down the harness, that photo is still a good reference for the various sensors, etc. You can see the TPS (labeled as STP, guess Sam loves his 90's alt rock?) in the bottom left corner which shows you the wire colors and were they all run.

Kevin E. likes this.
  13. Kevin E.

Dave, again, thanks so much for the time and effort. I have a few months before my next track day, so maybe this is something I will tackle.

14. sharky nrk

double check that, I could be wrong but that looks like the STPS or secondary throttle position sensor yes? The TPS should be the three wires with the pink/white center wire located below the STPS.

Kevin E. likes this.
  15. Kevin E.

Are you talking about in the picture? Or in the diagram?

16. sharky nrk

both - the picture has two sensors in it (can't actually tell what arrow is pointing to exactly) because there are two sets of throttle valves - the primary one your cables are hooked up to and the secondary which is operated automatically to manage air velocity. The upper sensor should be the STPS and the lower sensor should be the TPS (the one you want). On the diagram the TPS is labeled as TP Sensor and has the pink/white middle wire. Again, I could be wrong if someone has actual first hand experience with it - but conceptually and the way the diagram reads - I think I am correct.

Dave_SV likes this.
  17. Kevin E.

The diagram piece makes sense to me, but I have no idea about the actual sensor. But like you said, pink/white makes sense.

18. Dave_SV

I stand corrected!

19. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

The TPS is the bottom sensor in the picture. STPS is the triangle connector.

Kevin E. likes this.
  20. Kevin E.

Got it, I guess I will try and get at that over the next few months.

How hard is it to get to that sensor to patch into it? Or is there a better way/place to get my data logger to read throttle position?