1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xr100 rearsets?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by tett, Nov 9, 2020.

1. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Anyone know of any? I'm tired of my feet and pegs being in the way. Anyone tried it?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

what are you trying to accomplish?? By pure technique your feet are the foundation for your body position... how are they getting in the way? How are the pegs disrupting anything? Do you have size 15 or larger feet?

3. tett

tett Well-Known Member

More lean angle before the pegs grind. Feet a little farther back (like sportbike posture).

4. TurboBlew

your other post said you dont ride minis for practice so maybe Im misunderstanding what exactly you want.
    I can guarantee you can influence the direction of the rear tire, on a 100, with the standard peg position. (pavement or dirt)
    If you have a size 36 inseam... you can get a taller seat to give your legs more room.

If you are dragging the pegs your knee would be on the deck anyways so Im still confused. Have you tried raising the bike up some?

5. tett

tett Well-Known Member

I'm just trying to get a bit more comfortable. With the pegs out of the way, I could lean farther and use more tire and not have to hang as far off... like Christian Sarron in the 90s. The taller seat may be a good idea for more legroom... that would be nice. Now that you mention it, I've heard that before and forgot about it. I'm trying to avoid having to go so far off the seat to keep things from scraping, because my old quads and knees get worn out.

"I can guarantee you can influence the direction of the rear tire, on a 100, with the standard peg position." Maybe I'll get that skilled one day.
    "...you don't ride minis for practice..." meaning I'm not going to win any championships. Just riding for fun.

It doesn't look like most folks bother, so it may not be worth the trouble.

6. TurboBlew

the pegs fold back so you can put delrin sliders or get wider pegs with sliders and not worry.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

If anyone makes anything like that, it'll be Takegawa, Kitaco, G-Craft, etc. You'll have to shop Japanese parts sites.

DmanSlam likes this.
  8. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Thanks. I appreciate it.

9. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

This comment, right here, just goes to show that you can begin to make a 'stock 100' class bike as expensive as you want. :) :)

It's a legal mod for the stock 100 class though.

10. DmanSlam

I'm trying to understand what you really want myself. Wanting more legroom or more ground clearance with the footpegs?

I would think most riders are using rearsets to provide an "up and back" adjustment, right? That creates more ground clearance but also a bit more "folding" of the leg which aids in getting a knee out and down.

Curious about your body position. I ride a TTR125 with the stock seat and easily get a knee down without footpegs scraping. I'm only 5'7" though. Riders much taller than me and much faster than me do not get a knee down as often. BUT, they are not scraping footpegs either.

Is your riding style more supermoto style -- body mostly straight and butt centered on seat -- but keeping the inside foot on the pegs?

11. TurboBlew

OP isnt competing or riding for anything but fun. But more to the point... he wants more lean angle before the pegs scrape? On a bike with 16s in the front & rear at unobtainable 45 degree lean angle there is 3" of space from the peg
    to the ground not to mention the pegs fold in another 2".

DmanSlam likes this.
  12. DmanSlam

Last, I googled that 90s racer you mentioned. Here are some pics of him on the track. But still photos can be misleading. The racer could be on a fast bend/sweeper, beginning his lean in or vice versa, etc. You get the point. Pic 2 seems to be what you are trying to achieve. Pic 6 is what I envision rearsets will do for you. Or to you. Lol.

Attached Files:

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. DmanSlam

Yeah, I understood that. I also agree with your assessment on available lean angle.

14. TurboBlew

I know the YSRs had spring loaded footpegs similar to the XR/CRF/TTR. I never liked the tank fit on the YSR for my size. I would run a small aluminum fabbed cell if I was to race one.
    Funny as fatigue sets in on the 100... I find myself sitting near the back fender and the front starts chattering/folding telling me to get my lazy butt back up front where the rider sits...lol

15. DmanSlam

Lol. Yep. Frontend chatter is a weight distribution problem that's easily resolved!

16. tett

tett Well-Known Member

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qvggzxtc77pniq/AADEtJ9iF1j82yToggAoqEHqa?dl=0&preview=DSC_2771.JPG

If the link works, that's the situation. I thought I want more lean angle, but maybe I'm just trying to make the ol' XR something it isn't. Maybe I'll just refoam the seat for a little more height for my legs and keep on riding. I also scoot back when I get tired, and then bad things happen so I scoot back up, and the cycle starts all over again.

Dmanslam... to try to answer your question, my original thought was more ground clearance because I still have available tire to use but my pegs are in the way. But maybe I can change something about my body position, combined with sliders on the pegs, and get there that way.

Body position? supermoto with foot on peg. Maybe I can change it up some.

At any rate, I didn't think my question was so unusual. I knew most big track bikes use rearsets and so I figured they might help me too. But, seems like it's not a common mod, so I'll just keep on cruising.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  17. DmanSlam

@tett, okay. I figured that was your body position. Your question isn't unusual. Just that an aftermarket (and demand) for road race parts on a dirt bike isn't really there.

Pic 1 shows two different body positions and corner lines. Rider # 1 has a lot of available lean angle but isn't using what's left of it. Sitting straight with foot on peg, he's tracking a wider line because he's just not leaning more (or is hesitant to lean more, imo).

Pic 2 two different body positions again. But rider # 1 is exhibiting true super moto style and body language, imo. Foot off and true dirtbike style: lean with the elbows and -- probably -- the hips. If you want more legroom, this riding style will give it to you. Still, riders can get crazy lean angles. I didn't include a picture of that though.

Pic 3 is included to show that there are big riders on these small bikes. With minimal legroom by design. Foot position for everyone? the balls of their feet (toes, nearly) on the footpegs. When the outsides of their feet scrape, then available lean angle is getting near zero percent. They're not at that point though. :)

Pics 4 and 5 are examples of knee-down while body lean is or is not leading with the head. Not easy to tell but there's still available lean for all of them.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      83.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      72 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      83.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      975.9 KB
      Views:
    TurboBlew likes this.
  18. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Dman, pretty darn sweet picture tutorial. Thanks. I'm feeling the "just no demand" for rearsets theme like you said above, so I'll just pivot to playing with body position.
    I'm going to try moving around and see what I can figure out. I'd like to lead with my head more, but I'll just have to see if I can get that "bendy". Thanks for the ideas. Even just looking at the pictures makes me want to go ride again!

19. TurboBlew

looks to me like you have some kind USD fork conversion with a disc brake. I see at least 3" of fork tube above the triple. Without seeing the bike from the side... it looks like you can raise the ride height a couple mm. More importantly your heel should be in the "v" of the frame and the ball of your foot on the peg. Your suit looks like it fits on the very loose side. Do you wear any supplemental armor?

20. tett

tett Well-Known Member

Yes, CR85 front end, and hard back protector.