1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR100 Clip ons and Front Sprocket Install

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by simonburic, Apr 2, 2016.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

So much stuff in those pics I want to try lol.

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I'm all about experimenting with parts you have around the garage, but at the same time, I cringe when I see people making XR100's expensive (relatively speaking). The best part of racing an XR is that it doesn't break itself when you crash it, and it's cheap to put on the track. Adding trick parts makes them faster, but i question how much more fun it would be.

I think I really just need 2 (or more) 100's - one to keep 'stock' for racing, and a second one to play with. Disc front brake, 120 kit, etc. The lack of brakes are really the only thing I don't love about my XR. I have new OEM shoes ready to install. I could probably use a new (less worn) hub too...

3. sharky nrk

I cringe at the thought of spending money on trick stuff for the XRs. On everything except wear parts I have waited around to find deals to keep things a bit cheaper. I second the brakes even though I have brand new OEM everything, I would really like to have a disk and 17s on the bike - but finding the single year swap compatible CR80 bits seems to be VERY difficult.

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

A disk front makes riding my XR SO much more fun.

5. sharky nrk

Yeah I wish there was a easier and cheaper way to get it done.

6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I used the lowers from an MB-50 and some pitbike parts and a rear rotor off a GSXR600 to do mine. I have about 80 dollars and some time making my setup.

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I see guys with crap tons of money in the engines and the stock front brakes and I'm like how do you stop that thing.

8. hrc_nick_11

Would NSF NSR clip ons fit?

9. hrc_nick_11

I'm seeing woodcraft down to 29mm I think the XR100 is 27mm so you would need a 1mm shim that wrapped the whole way around.

10. hrc_nick_11

11. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I had a set of WC's for an SV laying around so figured I'd give it a shot with those. I contacted David Grey to make inserts, which he did, and the two fit together very well. So you could basically make any clip on fit that you wanted to.

I mounted the clip-ons under the upper triple because they wouldn't fit above it. Taking away the bars also allows you to run the front end lower, which I did. Whether this makes a difference or not, I have no clue. I do like the XR with the clip-ons though, feels much more natural than the bars.

12. sharky nrk

I put a cheap set of pretty low bars on both my XRs a while back, not clip on low but only like a 70mm height and I enjoyed that change ALOT. Getting a little bit of weight over the the front seemed to help me a lot and the bars have alot less sweep back opening up my shoulder and elbow angles making it comfortable. I would love to try the clip ons but spending $100 on a bar for them is out of the question.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with just about any bar you can drop the triples a good 20mm til it bottoms out. I would think building a "step" into the stock seat would help keep you forward on the bike. Usually on longer races or at the end of a day I find myself sliding backwards on the seat putting more weight on the rear, from fatigue. I prefer a wide & low rise mount bar on mine.

14. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I had my forks up against the handlebar. When I took off the handlebars I measured them out of curiosity. They were at 11mm.