1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR100 Clip ons and Front Sprocket Install

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by simonburic, Apr 2, 2016.

1. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I'm looking to try clip ons on my XR, just want to see what its like. Anyone know where to get these? I'm not coming up with anything.

Also, how do you install a front sprocket on an XR100? I see no way of doing this without removing the case or cutting it.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

um never seen any. You can get those "cafe" bars and flip them upside down. Or just use a straight bar.

Front sprocket you have to remove the stator cover (3 bolts) Then 2 10mm bolts on the countershaft. Easy peasy.

3. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Maybe that's for the older models?

I have a 2002 and it appears the entire left side case has to come off or cut though the guard on the case.

4. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The left cover is dry over the stator, just take the three bolts off that hold that cover on. Others have modified the engine cover to get easier access to the sprocket, but it takes about 5 minutes (including gathering the 8mm socket and opening a beer) altogether. Well, maybe longer including the sprocket swap, but the cover comes right off.

5. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Okay, I took a look to validate the number of bolts and ease of removal, and I was wrong. it's five bolts, not three, so add another 30 seconds to remove the cover.
    [​IMG]
    You can see three bolts along the top edge, and two are hidden below. My MSR shifter may be in the way for removing the cover, but I can just push the lever down to clear the cover during removal and assembly. The stator inside is dry, and worst case is you need to replace the gasket if you tear it (and you feel so inclined). Remove the bolts, tap the cover with a rubber mallet, and you're done with removing.

baconologist likes this.
  6. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Ok, thank you.

I however went the other route and took a dremel to the case. I'll post pics when I remember.

7. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Change the sprockets and chain over to an XR80 setup and lose 3 pounds of rotating weight. Even more if you go with an aluminum rear sprocket.

8. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

420 chain and sprockets as compared to 428? Anything to keep in mind if I did do this?

9. backcountryme

Yup that is the way to go. The XR80 stuff fits right on. The precut chain might be a bit short, so make sure you get enough. Easy weight savings in an area that really shows it. I would just pay attention to the sprocket ratio. I can't remember exactly what I ended up with (bike is at home) but I think I went from a 14/50 to a 13/38. Whatever it was it was very close to the stock ratio. The bike will accelerate quicker out of a turn now.

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

i haven't had the case cover off in a while, but you may need to remove the shift-lever as well. Or at least push it down into 1st gear to have it clear when you pull it.

cutting the cover is easier...

11. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Ohio mini road race league says right in the rules the XR100s have to run the stock size chain. So I stayed with the 428 but I agree 420 is better if your rules allow.

12. backcountryme

Yeah, our rules say that external gear changing is allowed. Says nothing about size. I would have gone a bit smaller if I could have found sprockets to fit. Ha.

13. backcountryme

I looked for 415, but would have had to have a sprocket set made. At least from what I could find. I have saved 3 pounds over the stock setup with a steel rear sprocket. I could save another pound or 2 with an aluminum one.

14. LoveRacer

LoveRacer Member

I have two sets of clipons for XR100s. Both have machined shims to make them fit the skinny forks. One set are random make I got off Ebay from New Zealand and the others are Woodcraft. If you still have stock footpegs and are over 5' tall your elbows and knees will both try to occupy the same space. Rearsets are tough to get to work with the rear drum brake.

15. backcountryme

Pfft, who needs brakes on an XR? Or at least the rear? The only time I have used the rear is when we run the thunder bikes in the super moto dirt section.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I use it often... especially in decreasing radius turns. Also when youre bar to bar & dont have a whole lotta track left to stick a wheel in... makes a primative traction control device...lol.

backcountryme likes this.
  17. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

Any pics of the clip ons? Curious as I have never seen anything small enough (even with shims/adapter) for those tiny forks.

18. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

I'd be interested in seeing pictures also.

19. LoveRacer

LoveRacer Member

Best pic I have of the random New Zealand ones. That's an XR100 with an RD350 tank. Bike currently has KX100 forks with SV1000 clipons so these forks/bars aren't being used right now.
    [​IMG]

20. LoveRacer

LoveRacer Member

Above pic also has 3 degrees taken out of the head angle and ZX7 rearsets. I got it done and street legal then made it electric. Here it is almost as it sits today:
    [​IMG]
    Can't find a pic of the Woodcrafts on a XR100 but they fit a CRF50 with out the shims! I'll look for a pic.