1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR setup?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by assjuice cyrus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% positive but I am pretty sure it's 1986 and later xr/cr80 wheels. Now if you're talking about lacing the 1980 rim to your stock hub then probably.

2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Cajun, Iam pretty sure you need a 86 and up wheel of a xr80. That is if yours is an 86 or newer xr. Good luck on finding a wheel under a $100.00 . I lucked out and found one on craigslist. I will also keep an eye out for one for you.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

^ Yeah I'm seeing that. Breaking my #1 rule of being cheap!!

4. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

86 and up.

Our local club caters to economical bikes. If you have a $600 bike, you can race 3-4 classes. If you have a $6000 bike, you can race one class..... funny thing is some of the $6000 bikes get beat by some of the $600 bikes....:crackup:

"Rim", yes, "Wheel", no.

What I found first hand was the $75 wheel in Ebay had rusted spokes/nipples with a bent rim. I would break spokes trying to true the wheel.... I just spent $180 and got a new one....

5. kneedragger29

kneedragger29 Well-Known Member

30 MPH, max.
    new leathers with hip pads
    too much throttle
    high side
    broken femur
    still paying for it 3 years later
    Mini on a kart track.

Not common. Possible? Sure.

6. Cam Morehead

Your looking at this in to many different ways. If you were their and saw how he road, you would no he needs to sail his bike...... you sea what I mean?

7. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I got the $500 dollar bike part down! Now I just need to get a rim and find some so so scooter tires. This is mainly going to be my pit bike and every once in a while I may race it in the mini's

8. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

If you wanna go real cheap just put a tire on the 19" rim. It works. Actually I believe I've got a 19" BT45 in the garage that has lots of life left in it if you want it.

Part trade for your TTR225 :Poke: :)

9. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Hmmmm.....

I do have to get rid of that thing. Hence the $500 for it.

Another question. Pulled the carbs as it wouldn't idle with the choke on and would bog at WOT. Cleaned them half assly because I was pressed for time. It's better but still not right. I can kinda nurse it up to almost full speed but it's kicking and bucking the whole time. Thoughts??.............. Pilot is clear, Main clear, float clear, needle cleaned, A/F screw 2.5 turns out as is the Idle screw ( I think that's what it is) cleaned and set also.

10. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Iam sure you checked but hows the air filter? I would run to your local dealer and grab a new pilot jet just cause sometimes you cant see the bad stuff stuck inside those things. Mine had them in stock for 5 bucks.

11. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Air filter is brand new. But then again....... HE installed that. And it was kind of yucky in there.

12. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

That was such a fun bike to ride. I really need to find a xr to play with again...

13. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I have a 16" rim still in the wrapper, you just need the spokes. I'll be at RR and can bring it if your interested.

14. Cam Morehead

The 19" works good to see if you want to did it regularly or half way compete. If you want to keep up with the faster guys, you need a 16". The 19" steers slow and does a hop thing..... the 16" steers quicker and will chatter a little right before you tuck the front. FWIW...

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I won't be at RR and the next race I'll be at is Barber or a Trackday at Jennings in two weeks. :(

And thanks for the Advice Cam. I will find one soon hopefully. And like I said it's more of a Pit Bike than a mini racer but I would like it set up if I would ever wanna take it out.

Also what are some Cheap but "ok" scooter tires besides the BT-45's?

16. Cam Morehead

Pirelli is a pretty good one but be careful, you will run off the sidewall. 100/90-16"

17. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

that's the MT75 ?

18. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Greeting to the Stumpmeister!

19. Cam Morehead

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Scratch that...... Bogs at the top end and won't run with the choke on...

I figured the choke was "on" in the down position.

Then not only that but these retards had it over filled by about .40 of a quart and doesn't looked like they ever changed the oil. EVER.. Other than that it's a good little bike.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012