1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR setup?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by assjuice cyrus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

2. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Cr85 frontend cus that's how i rolled...:moon:

3. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Refer to post #9

4. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We train on dirt with 16's too. I just hate to see people spend that much money on minis now. Save the money and get a better bike when you get to WERA...... JMHO.

5. Cam Morehead

Jake Morman on my KX65 on the second row pullin a wheelie.... That kid ripped around that track on that bike... I remember Jake Barnard also. I talk to his dad, Jeff, a few times per year.

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Eh it's hard not to do it, but if your frugal you can get creative on the cheap. I did the cr80 conversion on the cheap. Found a 86 cr80 rat trap for $100 that I could yank the parts from and sell off a few remaining usable parts. Paid for itself and I got a disc brake.

7. ACDNate

How far under $400? the Works shock is right around $400.

8. Russell Masecar

Russell Masecar Well-Known Member

$359.....I would say build quality is comparable to a Penske shock. Much nicer than the Works shocks I've seen.

9. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

i'm talkin out my @$$ !!

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I spent way to much on my XR100, but.... Given equal riders, my bike with CR85 forks, 17's, and works shock is going to pull away while the nearly stock XR chatters right off the track. I would still save the money and race the stocker if I had it to do over.

11. Cam Morehead

Your XR is a 120cc. I really don't want to get this topic in to an argument about what is good to do. I will say that racers need to read the rules of their local club and use that as a guideline. In our local series, we use stock XR100's with Honda OEM wheels and 16" DOT tires. We have had the bikes show up with 17's, disc brakes, 120cc engines, Penske shock, CR forks, etc..... Every race has been won on the stockers.... Save your money and learn to ride a bike that chatters so that you can appreciate a good bike....:crackup:

12. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

My bike is a little under 110cc. Built for Semra F1 when they changed the displacement limit. You can get about the same capacity from a 4th oversize honda piston. As I said, if I were to do it over, I would race the stocker. I do enjoy riding it much more in it's current state, but I spent a good bit to make it handle like it does.
    If it had a stone stock motor, your lap times on it would be better than on your stocker, without a doubt.

13. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

No contest, if your club has a stock class, run it. If you're a gearhead and are afflicted with an insatiable desire to overbuild as I am, do it to a second bike, race the stocker first. I think i could have solved the US's debt problem myself if I hadn't gotten bit by the tinkerer bug... but hey, at least now I look fast on a bitchen CRF70, even when I'm loosing! :D

14. ACDNate

:bow:

I understand completely. Every time I tell myself "That's it! I'm not spending any more money on the 100, I stumble across a sale on a part or a good deal on some second hand parts.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Picked up a XR Today. Where do I get the 16 inch front from? Which bike?

16. Cam Morehead

Ron Ayers.com or your local dealership. It is a Honda XR/CRF 80 front wheel assembly.

17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

What year xr? I think I was told U need a 86 or up front wheel. Iam sure MM can let you know for sure.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Agreed. We ran a mini-motard series a few years back (GLMMRS) and had 3 classes. 2 of them required stock forks and brakes. It's too easy to dump way too much money into a mini, for minimal return - either legitimate or perceived.

Most of the guys in our premier 88cc class were faster than the guys in the Open class with $6-10k into their bikes. :)

19. ACDNate

I ended up getting one on ebay for like $50 shipped. needed cleaning and fress bearings but still under $75 total.

20. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Would a 1980 rim work!?!?