1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XR setup?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by assjuice cyrus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Just thought I would put a xr setup thread out there,Seems to be alot of questions asked about the xr. I for one will be running my first xr this so I wont be a great deal of help. I will be running the stock class so any tips or tricks you guys can leak out would be great. :up:

2. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Corner low and be a stand up guy.

3. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

It all starts with a really good throat push...

On a serious note, what org are you running it in? Most stock classes have pretty specific rules on what's allowed. Usually very limited stuff.

4. backcountryme

All we can do in the stock class is change fork oil and front and rear springs.

5. assjuice cyrus

I will be running the ohio mini racing league. They allow you to change the front wheel to a 16inch,swap out front springs and rear spring,jet the carb, and gearing and thats about it.I just starting this thread for all setups on XR's and people to give ideas to everybody and hopefully we can get more people involed in the sport. Where are you guys finding the best price on the bt45's.

6. backcountryme

I know one thing some guys are doing is cutting some coils off the fork springs and adding a spacer. This will help stiffen the fork up a bit on initial travel.

7. ACDNate

The stock Carb comes with 38pilot 98 main, horribly lean. I found a 40 pilot and 102 main woke things up nicely with the air box in tact. Up to a 110 if you go to a pod filter.

If carb changes are allowed a 24mm carb makes a nice difference too.

If your on the heavy side, and it's allowed, a fork brace and frame brace stiffens up the chasis flex nicely.

The stock throttle turn is about 360 degrees to full throttle. I picked up a 1/4 turn throttle (here http://www.hondatrailbikes.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=885) on the cheap. It works very well.

On the fork springs, if you're a bigger guy the BBR springs aren't much stiffer than stock. I got some heavier rate springs at Cannon Racecraft for about the same price. http://www.cannonracecraft.com/

I never saw much difference in the price of BT45's. They are more expensive than some of the other options, but grip much better. Keep in mind they'll last an eternity so it's not like your buying a set ever other weekend.

Well that's the first few things that come to mind...

8. assjuice cyrus

Thanks Nate thats all great info.

9. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Fork braces can help wonders!!

[​IMG]

10. assjuice cyrus

Fork braces are not allowed in the stock class.

11. NateDawg122

NateDawg122 Active Member

Eliminate as much weight as possible (bike or personal) and get the good Bridgestone race tires. Gearing is crucial so making sure it is perfect for the track is really important. The main thing you need to work on in a stock class is flat out corner speed. The Bridgestone tires will help with that but only so much. You will gain a huge advantage by leaning way off the bike and keeping what little meat there is on those narrow tires in contact with the ground.

12. assjuice cyrus

Ok,I will start with the dumb new questions that i have. When I go to put bt45's on my wheels is there any special tube I need? Also what kind of air pressure do I need to run. Sorry these are probley pretty dumb questions but i have never ran a mini. Thanks.

13. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I use a tube of the same size as the tire. If you buy a 100/90-16" BT45, get a tube of the same size. I use surgical soap. You can get it at CVS or Walgreens/Eckerds/Rite Aid....... etc.... I have put 80 psi regularly to seat the tire. Let it sit for the evening if you can. Make sure the tire is seated evenly all the way around the rim when you drop you pressure back down. I race mine at 16-17 psi. That means as low as 14 cold.... Cam

14. backcountryme

Back in my dirt bike days we would use baby powder on the tube. Anyone still do that?

15. madriders86

madriders86 Well-Known Member

Is there anything better than the bt45? Dunlop gt501 perhaps? Pirelli mt75?

I'm just going off what i used to run on my old ninja 250.

16. assjuice cyrus

Anybody have any tips for the rear setup on a xr100 besides a shock spring or new shock?

17. ACDNate

Thats about the only 2 options. The BBR spring helps a bit but the stock shock (not rebuildable) doesn't offer much damping. The works shock seems to be pretty decent but pricey.

There are a handfull of folks that have hacked and relocated the mounts to fit longer shocks in from other models. Check Thumpertalk.com for those setups.

18. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

We just run them stock.

19. assjuice cyrus

Whats the best way to tell if the rear shock needs to be replaced?

20. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User