1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF? No thread on the new tax thingy?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I'm in San Jose. I live in a decent one bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood. Rent is $2400/mo. I'm in the low 6 figure number for income, single, and consider myself comfortable but far from "fucking rich" as Mongo put it.

2. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Holy shit $2,400! Fuuuuuuuudge.

3. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

But, but, but...

It has a (shared) garage! :D

4. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Surprise!

First analysis of the current plan is that more than half the tax cuts proposed will go to the 1%ers.

And the thing about how the cuts pay for themselves? - wrong. Average return is on the 20-30% range, most optimistic return is 35%. So it will blow up the debt no matter what it is, or who gets it.

Rinse, Repeat.

5. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

There are a number of real expensive places to live. The 1Br apartment I had in the Bronx in the 1980's for ~$550/mo is now renting for $2450/mo. This cycle, I ended up living about 40 miles out, to keep my rent under $1000/mo, but my commute cost is about $6,500/year for parking at the train station; train and subway fares. Not including the 11 mile round-trip drive to the station each day. So rent+commute approaches $20K /yr

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Trudat. And we're definitely MUCH closer to point A than point B these days.

7. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The state income tax deduction is really a federal subsidy for states like Cali and NY. The net effect is less revenue is obtained from those living in those states. If you live in a low or zero state income tax area (especially if they have a high non-deductible sales tax) you are paying more in order to compensate. How is this "fair"?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You should try making half that, perspective is important :crackup:

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's why I always find it funny when people try to use the term middle class.

To me there is no "middle class for San Francisco" or the like. Quite simply you cannot live in that city if you're middle class. You have to be rich making rich people money - or homeless. Middle class people cannot afford to even park in the city.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Same reason I support nuking inheritance taxes. If you're inheriting something that was a pre tax investment then yeah, tax it. But taxing property or anything the dead person already paid tax on - screw that.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you weren't rich you couldn't afford to pay more than double my mortgage as rent. You couldn't afford to live where you do. Sorry but you're rich.

badmoon692008 and Phl218 like this.
  12. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

My sister-in-law lives in SF. She makes about $35k/year. Her studio is ~1200/mo. Quite simply a baller, for sure.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How did I know you'd come up with an exception to prove the rule :D I'm sure there are plenty of non rich people there. But the middle level of incomes in SF are absolutely not the middle class.

14. dsapsis

Well...that's not what you said.

That only works when it's an exception.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exaggeration makes me laugh ;)

BTW that map is cool. Lots of lower income areas like parks and cemeteries :D

16. dsapsis

Hundreds of thousands of middle class people living in SF, and anyone could see it, even from a park.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Perspective doesn't redefine a language. Words mean things. $75K annual is by no means rich in these United States.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Wish I could see 75k being middle class but to me it's rich. I'd love to have double my income.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You'd just piss it away on Yuengling and Skyline. :moon:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No way! Well, maybe after I buy a surplus hummer... :D