1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF? No thread on the new tax thingy?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Metalhead, Sep 28, 2017.

1. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Guess imma need you to point out what the republicans have done to the detriment of the poor...

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Triggers man, triggers.

3. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Where'd I say anything about a detriment? All I said is the repubs policies typically benefit the rich (tax plans, corporate benefits), the dems typically benefit the poor (social programs). Both come at the expense of the middle class.

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'd say you've taken a big ol' hit off the propaganda machine.

Both parties rape the middle class to the benefit of the outliers at either end.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I feel like doubling the standard deduction is going to screw homeowners, while at the same time rewarding every shithead millenial trust fund kid that just moved here from the west coast, living in downtown condo/apts that mommy and daddy rented for them.

I know we're waiting on details, but I've read $12K for individual and $24K for couples on the deduction.

6. Pittenger5

Isnt that what Im saying? Obviously both sides are getting rich off it, but can you honestly say the repubs dont lean toward the rich side and dems lean toward the poor side?

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Both side lean toward the votes they buy. Republicans lean towards folks that hire. Dems towards those they keep on the plantation, where they want them. The rest of us get screwed.

8. Pittenger5

A better way of saying exactly what I was implying.

9. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I guess that depends on if they remove the mortgage interest deduction or not, otherwise I'm not sure how it would affect homeowners vs. renters, etc.

$24k standard deduction is pretty big! I need to go back and look at what my itemized deductions were last year.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying.

Republicans proffer as much poverty pimping as the democrats do, they just don't get the credit for it.

And democrats hand out as much treasury largesse to the fat cats as the republicans do, they just don't get blamed for it.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

$12 an hour!

Imagine living off $24k a year.

12. thrak410

I get that, but if my itemized deductions last year were only $18k, and the year before $17k, etc... then $24k would be beneficial to me. Maybe not everyone, maybe not even most, but we're discussing what effect it will have on an individual basis.

Metalhead likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What we're not considering is the paperwork bullshit of pulling 12% post-$12k out of people's wallets only to give it back to them in subsidies for this, that, and the other.

If government stopped acting as the middleman (and taking a healthy cut of the take), things would be a fuckton more efficient and $12/hr might actually be a livable wage without the inconvenience fees of government.

Chino52405 and Lawn Dart like this.
  14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Even if they don't, I think for a number of people (unless they have a really shitty interest rate, or a really big mortgage), the standard deduction is going to end up being higher than itemizing. I need to look back at mine. I'm not sure whether I had 12K in writeoffs last year. Renters certainly didn't.

Edit: I'm stupid - I did... So standard deduction has no effect on me, estate tax has no effect on me, and business claim stuff reducing tax bracket has no effect on me. That said, if it passes, I'm looking at setting up a business.

If the housing deductions are nullified or outright removed, the real estate market will take a big hit on this initially. People will just stop buying houses if there's no incentive. Make someone else own it. Of course, rents will probably go up, but it'll take a while for all of that to shake out.

15. thrak410

The problem with 'starting a business' is that it will most likely be an LLC of some type, and I heard those taxes are going up, hence my not being happy about it since I'm a partner in an LLC. Only the big corp taxes will be dropping, because they see that they'll be 'double dipping' with corp tax and income tax on employees. With LLCs you cant do that because the company taxes go through the individual.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I love this kind of stuff.

Please tell me, what is the middle class - to you at least?

Sure seems like 90 percent of the country identifies as middle class....

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, they all lean towards the rich. The rich can buy the lobbyists to get the laws they want. The dems on occasion will pretend to give out more money to the poor to keep their votes but it's window dressing in the overall picture.

18. Pittenger5

Those that dont have health insurance, cause they're too rich to qualify for the subsidies, and not rich enough to pay for the insane deductibles.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you don't have an answer?

20. Pittenger5

I have an answer, but its not a dollar amount, or a percentage of the population or any easily quantifiable number. The health care answer illustrates it as best I can.