1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF happened to wiper blade refills?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jan 16, 2021.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Looking everywhere and no one sells just the refills anymore. All anyone sells is the whole blade with some stupid adaptor that never really fits right. I don't need $40 of BS just the rubber strip for $2

ducnut and 50Joe like this.
  2. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

If you have Oem go to dealer and replace rubber only

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I tried to do that with my Mazda6 before I bought my TourX and even the dealer didn't sell just the rubber blade. I like the OEM wipers because they usually have a wing that keeps the wiper planted on the windshield at higher speeds.

damiankelly and ducnut like this.
  4. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

I ended up ordering PIAA silicone for my stuff and use a windshield treatment. Work great, quiet, no lift and had them for a couple of years now and my windshield is pitted af.

If you get a windshield treatment like Aquapel, don't order it from Amazon, either fake or the applicator vials are broken/dried up and useless.

5. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wipers are the one thing were aftermarket is nowhere near as oem

ducnut likes this.
  6. 418

418 Expert #59

PIAA wipers?

You have to remortgage your house to afford them shits?

They're headlights are outrageous $$$$.

7. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

So funny i was just telling my wife this today as we were in the carwash. For years I kept buying the aftermarket garbage and they just didnt work right-out of the box. I have gone back to spending the $70 at dealer for new OEM ones and dang they work so good. Its so worth the money. That is one thing I will never try to budget-buy ever again.

8. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

9. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

10. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I just spent 40 bucks on what I thought was a set from Amazon, guess I need to read a bit better as it was only one!

11. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Hah, just went thru this yesterday at Advance Auto. Got the cheapest ones they had and it was still $40 for the pair. Most expensive ones would have been like $70 for the pair.

I’m sure they’ll last a few years.

12. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

subaru stopped providing just the rubber oe refills about 2 years ago. toyota still does. the gm ones dont need adapters for the most part so, those end up full replacement for me. Ski

13. Pete Busch

Pete Busch Active Member

Totally agree but have no idea why. My toyota refills work way better than any of the aftermarket wipers, even the spendy ones.

skidooboy likes this.
  14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I really like the Rain-x wipers. I like the beading effect of the water so even in pouring rain I never have to put them on high. Works for me.

Quicktoy likes this.
  15. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Seems like they use the least amount of rubber or whatever compound to make them work.Designed obsolescence,I guess,but damn they are not cheap to replace.

16. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I do rainX treatment on everything I drive including rentals.
    Funny on my RV windshield I dont even need the wipers at anything above 30mph.

17. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Had great luck with Bosch wipers but they ain't cheap.

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I used to take my off and keep them in trunk, they last forever :)
    Helps that rain comes around here once a year.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  19. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

RainX Washer Fluid FTW.

[​IMG]

beechkingd and sdg like this.
  20. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

With all of the jokes about old people starting to hit a little close to home I would like to thank the OP for making me feel a little younger...I didn’t even know this used to be a thing!